Rank the head coaches going into the next season

Elky

1 minute ago, Danger said:

No. No it is not. You literally don't have a clue about what happened with our team do you? 

Howie Roseman was demoted for no good reason and Chip Kelly decided to completely gut our team because of "culture". Howie Roseman was then reinstated a year later after how abysmally Chip handled the team and had to go clean up Chip's mess. Go read about it.

...Which is exactly the point I just made.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

So you mean we're not to give Doug any credit for actually coaching the team as well as he has?

Obviously he gets credit, but McVay works with less. I mean, he inherited a QB everyone was already calling a bust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elky said:

Obviously he gets credit, but McVay works with less. I mean, he inherited a QB everyone was already calling a bust.

Let's be real, Goff was a rookie, and had the Jeff Fisher curse. Let's not pretend Goff was a slouch.

Rams were probably the most talented team in the league last year, particularly on offense last season, but McVay couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in the Super Bowl the Rams questionably shouldn't have even made.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Let's be real, Goff was a rookie, and had the Jeff Fisher curse. Let's not pretend Goff was a slouch.

Rams were probably the most talented team in the league last year, particularly on offense last season, but McVay couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in the Super Bowl the Rams questionably shouldn't have even made.

Uh, let's not pretend that people honestly thought Goff was a bust: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/sep/06/nfc-west-preview-seattle-seahawks-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff

Heck, it's arguable that Goff still sorta sucks. McVay makes him look a crap ton better than he really is.

Yeah McVay got outcoached in the Super Bowl, but he was going against Belichick who didn't poorly communicate a last minute benching this time around.

Edited by Elky

1 minute ago, Elky said:

Uh, let's not pretend that people honestly thought Goff was a bust: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/sep/06/nfc-west-preview-seattle-seahawks-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff

Heck, it's arguable that Goff still sorta sucks. McVay makes him look a crap ton better than he really is.

Yeah McVay got outcoached in the Super Bowl, but he was going against Belichick who didn't poorly communicate a last minute benching this time around.

One starting CB does not make the difference between being completely shut out and your back-up QB putting up one of the best performances in Super Bowl history.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

One starting CB does not make the difference between being completely shut out and your back-up QB putting up one of the best performances in Super Bowl history.

Philly was ECSTATIC when they saw Rowe covering Jeffrey and Butler was nowhere to be seen. We had Chung function as our slot corner for God's sake.

Edited by Elky

2 hours ago, Elky said:

Going by this logic, Mike Shanahan is better than Bill Belichick because Shanahan is 5-4 including the playoffs.

Pederson inherited a solid and well-ran franchise and works with one of the best GMs in the league.. McVay inherited a team that was a joke for over a decade and his GM was the genius who thought Tavon Austin was worth 4 years/$42 million.

No, the logic is in fact a guy took over a team that Chip Kelly was giving talent away & managed to win the SB his 2nd year in the league against BB with Nicholas Foles as his QB while the other guy took over a team the consensus swore were underachieving year-after-year & brought them to the SB in his 2nd year against BB only for his team to put up the lowest points in a SB ever.

Edited by ClutchDJ

2 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

No, the logic is in fact a guy took over a team that Chip Kelly was giving talent away & managed to win the SB his 2nd year in the league against BB with Nicholas Foles as his QB while the other guy took over a team the consensus swore were underachieving year-after-year & brought them to the SB in his 2nd year against BB only for his team to put up the lowest points in a SB ever.

You've got to be kidding me. People were saying that the Rams were the least-talented team in the league, even with their big-name underachieving front seven. 

A LOT of people weren't just saying Jared Goff was bad the way they were with Rosen. No. They said Goff was the worst draft bust ever. 

McVay took over a team whose offense was the worst in the league for two years in a row and flipped it to be tops in the league his first year. The top two weapons from the Jeff Fisher era (Jared Cook and Kenny Britt) left the team via free agency. They had a good RB, but even Gurley had doubters. I was able to get him as the RB18 in fantasy (turned in a OPOY season). 

McVay took a receiving group that had Robert Woods (who had been a bust in Buffalo) and Tavon Austin as the top two proven receivers and make the passing game look amazing. He developed a scheme to accentuate the strengths of each player. Gave everyone mismatches. 

He flipped the blocking unit completely. That unit did a complete 180, and one of those "underachievers" that you're talking about, former top-5 tackle Greg Robinson, didn't even make the team. 

McVay directed Les Snead (who had done pretty much just awful contracts and a lot of awful draft picks up to that point) in free agency and the draft on the players that he wanted. 

The turnaround that the Rams had is historical. 

I'm not saying that Pederson isn't great, he's definitely a top-5 head coach, but I'd put Sean McVay over him.

Edited by HoboRocket

On 6/25/2019 at 6:16 AM, HoboRocket said:

I'd say Frank Reich is possibly the most slept-on HC in the league right now, especially outside of this forum. Definitely a top-10 guy right now.

Reich has done a great job. I’m frankly surprised Anthony Lynn isn’t getting a little more love though, the difference between him and the slop that was Turner/McCoy is obvious. 

5 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Reich has done a great job. I’m frankly surprised Anthony Lynn isn’t getting a little more love though, the difference between him and the slop that was Turner/McCoy is obvious. 

I think Lynn's been great. This season will be very telling for both relatively-new head coaches.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:45 AM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

For one year? Lol stop

A year where he developed an OL and defense overnight, turned three rookies into near elite players at their positions, found a run game with Marlon Mack, found use for 1st round bust Eric Ebron and 2nd round bust Margus Hunt, and resurrected a career we all thought was dead with Andrew Luck and his shoulder injury. Chris Ballard found the talent, but Reich ABSOLUTELY put that talent into places where it could succeed (he took a 2nd round G and turned him into a very good RT... and got Ebron to live up to that top 10 billing he had many moons ago).

This time last year, we were writing the eulogy on the Andrew Luck era while projecting who the Colts would take to shore up a very bad defense or OL. We never finished that eulogy because Frank Reich turned that team around quickly.

• Like 1