19. Sean McDermott   
20. Dan Quinn
21. Jon Gruden 
22. Jay Gruden
23. Doug Marrone 
24. Pat Shurmur
25. Adam Gase 
26. Matt Patricia 

If you're an offense oriented HC and your defense is easily the strength of the team, then you're getting knocked down quite a bit. Also vice-versa.

You say that, but yet you still have Pete Carroll waaaaaaaaaay up there.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

A year where he developed an OL and defense overnight, turned three rookies into near elite players at their positions, found a run game with Marlon Mack, found use for 1st round bust Eric Ebron and 2nd round bust Margus Hunt, and resurrected a career we all thought was dead with Andrew Luck and his shoulder injury. Chris Ballard found the talent, but Reich ABSOLUTELY put that talent into places where it could succeed (he took a 2nd round G and turned him into a very good RT... and got Ebron to live up to that top 10 billing he had many moons ago).

This time last year, we were writing the eulogy on the Andrew Luck era while projecting who the Colts would take to shore up a very bad defense or OL. We never finished that eulogy because Frank Reich turned that team around quickly.

I’m all about Frank, I just don’t want to crown him as top ten this quickly. However after looking at the current head coaches, he’s fringe, I’m stuck after these 9...

Bill

Reid

Carroll

Pederson

Harbaugh

Zimmer

Payton

McVay

Rivera

I think Reich is right there, as well as Nagy, Arians, and the homer in me says McDermott and I think he will prove that this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I’m all about Frank, I just don’t want to crown him as top ten this quickly. However after looking at the current head coaches, he’s fringe, I’m stuck after these 9...

Bill

Reid

Carroll

Pederson

Harbaugh

Zimmer

Payton

McVay

Rivera

I think Reich is right there, as well as Nagy, Arians, and the homer in me says McDermott and I think he will prove that this year.

I would personally take Reich over Rivera, but that's just me.

A quality HC is about as hard to find as a franchise QB, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/06/2019 at 4:21 PM, Elky said:

Obviously he gets credit, but McVay works with less. I mean, he inherited a QB everyone was already calling a bust.

No doubt, McVay is a great coach and he helped Goff resurrect his career after an awful rookie season, but Jeff Fisher was just an awful coach .... No QB was successful with him with the Rams ... Doug Peterson won the super bowl and 4 playoffs game with Nick Foles, another QB who had lost confidence with Jeff Fisher and the Rams.

On 6/22/2019 at 1:53 PM, Elky said:

Excluding any rookie head coaches.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Sean McVay

3. Sean Payton

4. Andy Reid

5. Pete Carroll

6. Doug Pederson

7. Matt Nagy

8. Frank Reich

9. Mike Tomlin

10. John Harbaugh

11. Mike Zimmer

12. Bruce Arians

13. Anthony Lynn

14. Ron Rivera

15. Sean McDermott

16. Doug Marrone

17. Kyle Shanahan

18. Dan Quinn

19. Mike Vrabel

20. Jason Garrett

21. Bill O'Brien

22. Jay Gruden

23. Andy Gase

24. Jon Gruden

25. Pat Shurmur

26. Matt Patricia

Hard to argue with the top of the list.  Only thing I would say is Nagy and Reich are both one year wonder guys as of now until they show they can be consistently elite and produce an elite team.  Both are great years last year but can they continue that as a HC.  That fact alone to me makes Tomlin and especially Harbaugh above them.  I do not feel Patricia should be that low but also not super high on him.  Obviously any Belichick assistant is considered great and potentially a reason for the Patriots success but honestly a ton of them have failed as a HC and it is a huge list.  And Jon Gruden is not awful either, just had a bad year last season.

PS Kliff Kingsbury could quickly be at the bottom of the list, in terms of legit coaches to me he is easily the absolute bottom compared to the rest of the guys in the NFL.  Maybe he and Zac Taylor.

1. Bill Belichick
2. Sean Payton 
3. Andy Reid
4. Pete Carroll

5. Sean McVay 
6. John Harbaugh
7. Mike Tomlin
8. Doug Pederson 
9. Bruce Arians 
10. Dan Quinn

11. Mike Zimmer
12. Matt Nagy 

13. Frank Reich 
14. Ron Rivera
15. Jon Gruden 

16. Kyle Shanahan 
17. Sean McDermott 
18. Jason Garrett
19. Vic Fangio
20. Mike Vrabel 
21. Bill O'Brien
22. Jay Gruden
23. Doug Marrone 
24. Matt Patricia 
25. Pat Shurmur 
26. Anthony Lynn 

27. Adam Gase  
28. Matt LaFleur
29. Brian Flores
30. Freddie Kitchens
Kliff Kingsbury 
32. Zac Taylor

Pretty crazy that Zac Taylor and Matt LaFleur both got jobs as the HC after spending short time with the Rams.  Everyone trying to find the next McVay that is for damn sure.  Very early to call especially with the young new hire coaches for sure.  Will be interesting how it all goes down.  The top one can tell they are leaders and football minds, near the bottom people hope they are football minds but the leadership part is a big question of course.  Sean McVay sure has good offenses but he has a positive vibe similar to Carroll that works and an energy about him, good X and O guy but also good communicator.  Not sure Kliff or Zac as with some of the other new young guys.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hard to argue with the top of the list.  Only thing I would say is Nagy and Reich are both one year wonder guys as of now until they show they can be consistently elite and produce an elite team.  Both are great years last year but can they continue that as a HC.  That fact alone to me makes Tomlin and especially Harbaugh above them.  I do not feel Patricia should be that low but also not super high on him.  Obviously any Belichick assistant is considered great and potentially a reason for the Patriots success but honestly a ton of them have failed as a HC and it is a huge list.  And Jon Gruden is not awful either, just had a bad year last season.

PS Kliff Kingsbury could quickly be at the bottom of the list, in terms of legit coaches to me he is easily the absolute bottom compared to the rest of the guys in the NFL.  Maybe he and Zac Taylor.

1. Bill Belichick
2. Sean Payton 
3. Andy Reid
4. Pete Carroll

5. Sean McVay 
6. John Harbaugh
7. Mike Tomlin
8. Doug Pederson 
9. Bruce Arians 
10. Dan Quinn

11. Mike Zimmer
12. Matt Nagy 

13. Frank Reich 
14. Ron Rivera
15. Jon Gruden 

16. Kyle Shanahan 
17. Sean McDermott 
18. Jason Garrett
19. Vic Fangio
20. Mike Vrabel 
21. Bill O'Brien
22. Jay Gruden
23. Doug Marrone 
24. Matt Patricia 
25. Pat Shurmur 
26. Anthony Lynn 

27. Adam Gase  
28. Matt LaFleur
29. Brian Flores
30. Freddie Kitchens
Kliff Kingsbury 
32. Zac Taylor

Pretty crazy that Zac Taylor and Matt LaFleur both got jobs as the HC after spending short time with the Rams.  Everyone trying to find the next McVay that is for damn sure.  Very early to call especially with the young new hire coaches for sure.  Will be interesting how it all goes down.  The top one can tell they are leaders and football minds, near the bottom people hope they are football minds but the leadership part is a big question of course.  Sean McVay sure has good offenses but he has a positive vibe similar to Carroll that works and an energy about him, good X and O guy but also good communicator.  Not sure Kliff or Zac as with some of the other new young guys.  

I do not know Zac Taylor so I can not say much about him, but I do not understand why Matt Lafleur became head coach ..... The titans offense was so unwatchable for a good part of the season last year .. Let's hope for him, he'll be on the same page as Rodgers, otherwise he'll be out very soon!

17 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I do not know Zac Taylor so I can not say much about him, but I do not understand why Matt Lafleur became head coach ..... The titans offense was so unwatchable for a good part of the season last year .. Let's hope for him, he'll be on the same page as Rodgers, otherwise he'll be out very soon!

LaFleur became head coach just why Zac did I feel, they were with McVay for a little bit and people might assume some of his success has to do with the assistants which I feel is just not true.  McVay and LaFleur are connected big time really, and yeah the Titans lack of an offense last year showed some of that lack of him actually being that great, will see.  

Obviously owners just want to find the hip new young coordinator and try to hit it big like the Rams did with McVay. 

Just like last year with John DeFilippo, the guy sucked with that group of players and they were not a good offense.  He was the hot new coordinator coming off the Super Bowl win though so go the job as OC.

Hell the Dallas Cowboys hired what Kellen Moore as the OC, heck he was a backup QB in the NFL in 2017 and now is an OC already after being a QB coach.  Crazy but true, he should have put in his time a little more than that but he is young and new so hired apparently.  

PS who is the Patriots DC?  Schiano left and never really started the position. Steve Belichick is the DB coach, Bret Bielema is oddly enough the DL coach and Jerod Mayo is the ILB coach who was a hell of a player when healthy etc....  

30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

McVay and LaFleur are connected big time really

LaFleur spent way more time with the Shanahans in Houston, Wash and ATL (a total of 6 years vs 1 season in LA)
He wasn't hired because he "knew" McVay or because he was responsible for the Rams success, that's just media silliness

Doing it in tiers instead(the order of the names in the tier means nothing):

Tier 1: Belichick

Tier 2: Pederson, McVay, Payton, Reid, Carroll

Tier 3: Tomlin, Zimmer, Rivera, Lynn, Harbaugh, Arians, Quinn

Tier 4: McDermott, Shanahan, Marrone, Garrett, O'Brien

Tier 5: Jay Gruden, Jon Gruden, Shurmur, Gase

Tier Too Early To Tell: Reich, Vrabel, Patricia, Fangio, Flores, Kingsbury, Kitchens, LaFleur, Taylor, Nagy

54 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

LaFleur spent way more time with the Shanahans in Houston, Wash and ATL (a total of 6 years vs 1 season in LA)
He wasn't hired because he "knew" McVay or because he was responsible for the Rams success, that's just media silliness

I believe there is more than just a minor connection between the two.

McVay was with Washington 2010-2016 TE coach and OC.

LaFleur was with Washington 2010-2013 as QB coach.  

And no I did not get this from the media it was my own connection I made and opinion on the current hiring climate of coaches in the NFL.  

But sure there is a connection with Kyle Shanahan as well, another young coordinator who coached with both of these guys at Washington also.  To me Kyle Shanahan based on who his dad is and how much longer he has been in the NFL is far more legit than Matt LaFleur.  

I'm a fan of Kyle's work, he's a heck of a coach and has proven himself already. 9ers are in very good hands
LaFleur isn't on his level yet and he may or may not ever get there

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

LaFleur became head coach just why Zac did I feel, they were with McVay for a little bit and people might assume some of his success has to do with the assistants which I feel is just not true.

^ This comment above is complete hogwash with regards to why LaFleur was hired by the Green Bay Packers
If it was just media silliness, I could understand it. But since you wanna own it, its all yours

LaFleur was hired because he was deemed the best of the dozen or so candidates they interviewed in a lengthy and thorough process
It would be both negligent and incompetent to hire an HC based on what you posted

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm a fan of Kyle's work, he's a heck of a coach and has proven himself already. 9ers are in very good hands
LaFleur isn't on his level yet and he may or may not ever get there

^ This comment above is complete hogwash with regards to why LaFleur was hired by the Green Bay Packers
If it was just media silliness, I could understand it. But since you wanna own it, its all yours

LaFleur was hired because he was deemed the best of the dozen or so candidates they interviewed in a lengthy and thorough process
It would be both negligent and incompetent to hire an HC based on what you posted

So it had nothing to do with the fact they want to hit on the up tick of a supposedly promising you offensive coordinator in the NFL just like the Rams did with McVay?

Because LaFleur as a coach, nothing he has done says he is ready to be a Head Coach in the NFL other than he was with McVay and maybe some of that style rubbed off on him.  Because the Titans were 25th in total offense last year and 27th in scoring.  They had an above average offensive line, decent run game, Delanie Walker at TE, Corey Davis at WR but sure not a ton of WR weapons and a decent young QB.  Mind you I did not like Mariota coming out of college and not super surprised he is not this All world QB in the NFL, but kid is a great kid and decent leader. Why did he not make that offense fly last year and make Mariota better?  

The only thing of note LaFleur did was be the OC under McVay with the Rams and have a great year in 2017.  He was never in a big leadership role where a lot of success followed in the NFL other than that.  What has LaFleur done outside of being around McVay and some other offensive minds in the NFL?  His college career was more than average, never even was a OC outside of Ashland college a D2 school then got into the NFL with the Texans as Offensive quality control.  But maybe he is great, track record says why would that be the case.  

Let me guess he is a QB whisperer and knows how to get along with QBs as a young offensive mind...will see how he does.

Thanks for your response Ozzy
But you really don't know anything about how or why the Green Bay Packers hired Matt La Fleur.
If you believe otherwise, then good for you.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Obviously owners just want to find the hip new young coordinator and try to hit it big like the Rams did with McVay. 

The Packers don't even have an owner
The Packers engaged their Executive Committee, a world renowned professional search firm and a council of Packer vets as part of the search and interview process. The reason they did this was to avoid what happens with a single-minded and impetuous owner

Its your opinion that every one of them were smitten by La Fleur's association with McVay ?

If so, then here's the full job posting & requirements below:

1) Do you have any association with Coach Sean McVay ?    Yes ___     No ___

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Thanks for your response Ozzy
But you really don't know anything about how or why the Green Bay Packers hired Matt La Fleur.
If you believe otherwise, then good for you.

The Packers don't even have an owner
The Packers engaged their Executive Committee, a world renowned professional search firm and a council of Packer vets as part of the search and interview process. The reason they did this was to avoid what happens with a single-minded and impetuous owner

Its your opinion that every one of them were smitten by La Fleur's association with McVay ?

If so, then here's the full job posting & requirements below:

Prove to me what LaFleur has done in the NFL to make him a head coach of no not your beloved Packers, of basically any team in the NFL currently.  His track record outside of that one year with the Rams is nothing amazing or standout to warrant a head coaching position.  What has he proven as a coach in terms of proven success in a main leadership position? I assume they hired him because he was the best most 'upstart' offensive mind in the game that had youth on his side and hopefully could relate to said stuck up QB a little better than the previous HC.

Maybe I am wrong about him, but at least I have opinions and do not just read what 'media silliness' says.  ;)  

Just because the Packers have no 'owner' does not mean that they cannot make mistakes.   If it was such a flawless system then why do they not win the Super Bowl ever other year.   Fact is there is not a ton of great head coaches out there and they had to freaking pick one.  Could easily say Mike Pettine has way more of a proven track record because he has experience as a HC at multiple levels and has been a coordinator for more than two seasons.  Something LaFleur cannot say, he has never been a head coach at any level, so pretend he was not hired because people want to get this up start young offensive mind, something I do not really think he is.

27 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It's why I believe Blake Bortles will be the next hot HC candidate - teams will start skipping on the coordinators and hiring McVay's backup QBs instead.

• Like 1