How do you guys/gals feel about the draft?

armsteeld

Its been awhile. Hopefully y'all been ok. How did the draft leave you feeling?

Devin Bush wasn't my first selection for ILB but I''ll take him. He's not as powerful as Devin White but is a better blitzer. Barring injury, he's a Rookie of the Year candidate.

Diontae Johnson is someone I didn't think would be taken in so early. Excellent route runner but has lazy routes, bad concentration drops, but he competes hard. I can see him being WR3 all season long.

Justin Layne was a horrible pick for me. He has length and speed but change of direction is horrible to me. ANY inside breaking route leaves him trailing by a step or two. Defends outside releasing vertical routes well. Willing tackler. Lack of turnovers was another turnoff for me. 

Benny Snell lacks long speed but has everything else you want in a RB. Some were saying 1st round for the Steelers and I didn't like it. I like him right where he was drafted. I see him taking the job from Conner next year.

Zach Gentry is a pick that I like more than everyone else. Yeah he needs work in run blocking but the effort is there. He is great at finding soft spots and gets separation even though he ran a slow 40 time (4.9) but improved it to a 4.6 at his pro day. I see him scoring at least 6 touchdowns as a rookie if becomes TE2.

Loved the Sutton Smith selection. Y'all know I was a huge can for a couple years. He is great at rushing the passer but is invisible against the run. As a run defender he sucks, badly. He needs to work on strength and getting off blocks. I can see him getting situational blitzes/rushes from day one.

Love the Isiaah Buggs selection. I was pimping him hard last year. I think he has the ability to take Tuitt's job next year. Strength, tenacity, technique, and attitude will help strengthen that defensive line. I can see him rotating in from day one.

Gilbert is someone I didn't know much of. I love his speed and he's a solid tackler. Reminds me of Telvin Smith from the Jaguars. Plays the Slot position and runs with receivers well. Needs to get off blocks better but solid player.

I like Derwin Gray and feel he has a chance to play inside as a Guard. Very powerful guy who moves defenders well. Stout and has solid lower body movement. Reminds me of Ramon Foster from his early years.

Not all guys I would have picked but what do y'all think?

Welcome back. You were missed Pre-Draft. I wasn't able to steal your info and sound smarter. Sounds like we're on the same page (mostly). I didnt like the MOVE up for Bush. I realize he wouldn't have been there with our original pick but I didnt like the cost. He should improve the Defense tho. That speed was sorely missed. Seems like most liked the Lane pick. I wasn't that pleased either. Although if they decide to run a Bump and Run or Press scheme he'll be ok (so would Artie). Can you explain how DJ can simultaneously have excellent routes and lazy routes at the same time? Not calling you out just wanna understand your meaning. I knew little to nothing about him but the buzz is positive even if he was taken early. I love the Grant pick and think is future impact is being slept on. I'm a Buggs fan too but I don't put him in Tuitt's league yet. Tuitt does need to be more consistent tho. Gentry is about the only player we disagree on. The improved 40 time is nice but he's just too big and tight imo. Hopefully you're right. Anyway, good to see you back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Welcome back. You were missed Pre-Draft. I wasn't able to steal your info and sound smarter. Sounds like we're on the same page (mostly). I didnt like the MOVE up for Bush. I realize he wouldn't have been there with our original pick but I didnt like the cost. He should improve the Defense tho. That speed was sorely missed. Seems like most liked the Lane pick. I wasn't that pleased either. Although if they decide to run a Bump and Run or Press scheme he'll be ok (so would Artie). Can you explain how DJ can simultaneously have excellent routes and lazy routes at the same time? Not calling you out just wanna understand your meaning. I knew little to nothing about him but the buzz is positive even if he was taken early. I love the Grant pick and think is future impact is being slept on. I'm a Buggs fan too but I don't put him in Tuitt's league yet. Tuitt does need to be more consistent tho. Gentry is about the only player we disagree on. The improved 40 time is nice but he's just too big and tight imo. Hopefully you're right. Anyway, good to see you back. 

Thanks @Chieferific  I miss the insightful views and good football banter from this site. Regarding Johnson, its more about consistency. When you watch his cutups, on some plays he'll drop easy passes that him in his hands. If he has to extend his arms overhead, he struggles catching at times. Some plays he runs a route (shorter routes) and seems to quit on the play. It is about being the same player every route that he needs to work on. That being said, he is a baller and will have the chance to produce from day 1.

I’ve not really seen much to think that Buggs is going to be anything special. That doesn’t mean he won’t, but I’d need to see it first. He seems pretty unathletic and his tape wasn’t great. Everyone hates when our guys get scheme sacks, but it looked to me that he got a lot of those at Bama.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’ve not really seen much to think that Buggs is going to be anything special. That doesn’t mean he won’t, but I’d need to see it first. He seems pretty unathletic and his tape wasn’t great. Everyone hates when our guys get scheme sacks, but it looked to me that he got a lot of those at Bama.

I think Buggs is staring 3-4 DE material. Of course we don't run that all the time so even if he takes Tuitt's place his play time will be limited. 3-4 DEs not named Watt or Bruce Smith aren't gonna get a lot of "non-schemed" sacks.  

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Buggs at DE he lacks the quickness to consistently get pressure. Buggs at DT is where he can get after QBs. Tuitt doesn't impress me. Hargrave thrived rushing in that subpackage DT position.

• Like 1

I will be surprised if Buggs makes the PS let alone the 53.

He is the only player I did not like in the draft.  I am not a fan of Gentry but I think they were caught needing a TE and all of their targets had just been taken.   The Steelers needed speed on defense and ST.  They needed a Shazier replacement and CB depth.  They needed a punt/kick returner and TE depth.  I think they did very well on that.

Bush - Shazier replacement. I am scared about the total lack of splash plays in college but He has the athletic ability.

Johnson - They like him and he is electric with the ball in his hands.  A current problem is his hands are not the best.

Layne -A surprise fall but after Baker, there were just a lot of #2 CBs in this draft.  Layne is a bit grabby as are many Mich St. CBs ( and College DBs).

Snell - power runner.  when they run Conner into the ground they can pull out Snell.  He is a good RB

Gentry - Raw, bad blocker.  Best upside would be another Vance McDonald.

Sutton Smith and Ulysees Gilbert III - i will put these guys together.  Both could and should be ST demons.  I liked SS from way back.  If he can put on 10-15 lbs of muscle he could be special.  He has the motor and technique.  His size could limit him without the Strength to back it up.  Gilbert is more of the same.  Speed to burn and a tackling machine.  He may be nothing more than a ST captain but I think he could be good.

Buggs - Buggs is this years Frazier from Dumbar.  They are hoping he can replace Walton on the DL but I just see an unathletic big man.  Again.  Lucky to make the PS

• Like 2

The Bush pick has grown on me, but I'm still in prove it to me mode. There were a lot of guys I wanted the Steelers to draft who went in the 2nd round, so I am hoping the opportunity cost for getting Bush ends up being worth it.

As for Johnson, there are two other guys who I am going to watch who were drafted after him: Josh Oliver and Jace Sternberger. Obviously, I thought and still think TE was the bigger need than WR at this spot. 

Layne is just a guy in my opinion. He has the tools, I guess, but as I mentioned with the Bush pick, there were a lot of guys who went off the board who were better prospects.

I don't know anything about Snell. 

The tape I've seen on Gentry is not good. He doesn't really fight for the ball in traffic, and it seems every time he catches the ball he is down on first contact. He's got good size, but he needs a lot more weight on him, IMO.

As for the rest, who knows? They're competing for STs and the PS. 

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the draft. If Bush turns into a superstar, then it will have been a good one. We'll see in a few years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I think Buggs is staring 3-4 DE material. Of course we don't run that all the time so even if he takes Tuitt's place his play time will be limited. 3-4 DEs not named Watt or Bruce Smith aren't gonna get a lot of "non-schemed" sacks.  

I don’t think he’s long enough to play an adequate 5 tech consistently. I think @armsteeld is right about him being a DT. I see the fit there more, whether he does anything is another topic.

42 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t think he’s long enough to play an adequate 5 tech consistently. I think @armsteeld is right about him being a DT. I see the fit there more, whether he does anything is another topic.

He certainly doesn't seem to have the appropriate length for DE but he is super stout. He doesn't get pushed around and is excellent at setting the edge. That's  all I care about. I'd rather he put on 10lbs of good weight and try him at NT then at DT. To me, the 3-4 is the only scheme for him. 

most steeler drafts produce  1-2 starters  the first year with a couple more making the 53(mostly for st, cap, space, career backups), so i 

kinda expect the same this year but with just 1 starter

bush is a day one starter, even if its close, the need to start him because of the move to go get him will warrant it

i think johnson is going to have a hard time passing washington and switzer for playing time.

layne will only gets snaps due to injury

i dont see snell getting any carries in the regular season unless connor gets hurt

i dont think genty  makes the 53

smith is practice squad

buggs may have a chance to make the practice squad

gilbert practice squad

gray practice squad

first 4 picks make the 53 just because of round drafted

one late rounder will surprise but im not sure who....................maybe buggs

the rest will fight for the practice squad

i dont see anyone other than bush helping us this year

it looks like a draft for the future tho

it at least appears that they addressed areas of need anyways.  Much better than in some recent drafts. Wait and see how this turns out, thats all for now.  The part that bothers me is what they gave up for Bush because  of how the let Evans go 1 pick before them last year.  Fixing last years mistakes by giving away too much is how I see it.  I don't care for colbert but at least this draft has a chance to help the team.