2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

6 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

my question for @NYRaider and @BleedTheClock.. You both have OO as your top choice. Do you think the teams would even consider him 1st pick. Since he is considered undersized and not a "sexy" Flashy pick like others are usually?

I think that it depends on the team. For example, if the Warriors win the lottery and keep the pick I could see them drafting OO. He fits well with their core and would be an impact player from day one without having to score the ball or asked to do too much offensively. Generally speaking though, who in this class would be considered a sexy pick? Anthony Edwards, LaMelo Ball, or James Wiseman come to mind but I'm not a huge fan of any of them as prospects. 

49 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

my question for @NYRaider and @BleedTheClock.. You both have OO as your top choice. Do you think the teams would even consider him 1st pick. Since he is considered undersized and not a "sexy" Flashy pick like others are usually?

I think for sure the Warriors would consider it. The other top teams are going to be looking for ball-dominant scorers, which is not Okongwu. So I think he’s really a fit for Golden State at 1...not really a great fit for any other franchise. 

Could other teams use him? Absolutely. But GM’s picking this high are gonna go for a game changing flashy scoring guard early rather than a defensive big and rim runner. There will be a lot of teams that wished they took Okongwu, but it’s almost understandable why you wouldn’t if you lack an elite back court player. 

I think Cole would be a perfect fit in Phoenix. Good defense, great shooter, can play with Book and/or Rubio, doesn't have to be the main playmaker ever since both Book and Rubio can do that (plus the Suns are a super ball movement heavy/player movement team, they led the NBA in assists w/o any NBA level backup guards at either PG or SG), his pullup shooting would work well w/ Ayton in PnR, etc. And he prob will be there at 10 too

kira has played really well in this gm so far (and a lot better than Cole) but he missed easy reads like this too often

https://youtu.be/YoqtkiM82-U?t=1313

defensive player rotated underneath the basket while kira was at half court, he took steps to get into position before kira was even at the 3pt line, still gets the charge

both his teammates are standing there mockingly w/ there hands out after he gets the charge 

missed one very similar to this a couple minutes earlier

On 7/27/2020 at 2:18 PM, BleedTheClock said:

My big board:

1. Onyeka Okongwu C---strong like bull freak of nature that can defend at a high level. Rim running ability and shot blocking traits are special.
NBA Comparison: Bam Adebayo

Good choice for number 1. I just think he's not as good a passer as Bam, and I think is a slightly better rebounder.  

2. Deni Avdija SF---so refined at such a young age. Gets others involved offensively and plays great team and help defense.
NBA Comparison: Can't think of anyone that does what he does.

Hedo Turkoglu with more defensive upside 

4. James Wiseman C---elite athlete, rebounder, shot blocker, floor runner. Raw and foul prone.
NBA Comparison: Hassan Whiteside

Idk I'm starting to buy into Wiseman's jumpshot. Has a bit more range than Whiteside imo. 

6. Anthony Edwards SG---confident shooter with unreal physical talent. Lacks intangibles offensively and defensively.
NBA Comparison: More confident Andrew Wiggins

Best one so far

7. Obi Toppin PF---lacks defensive intensity and foot speed to guard positions outside of PF. But man, what an explosive athlete with no holes offensively.
NBA Comparison: Kenyon Martin with a jump shot...or an explosive Tobias Harris.

Another good comp. 

3. Isaac Okoro SF---superb athlete with lockdown defense. Nightmare in the open floor, but lacks a jump shot.
NBA Comparison: Ron Artest

I've come around on Okoro, but I just think Vassell is gonna be better. 

5. Lamelo Ball PG---elite playmaking skills and size. Lacks a consistent shot and is very weak.
NBA Comparison: Jason Kidd without defense

That's a lot of faith that he will find a way to start making buckets. 

8. Devin Vassell SG---lockdown wing defender that hits 3's consistently. Reminds me a little of Klay Thompson in that regard.
NBA Comparison: Poor Man's Klay Thompson

So Khris Middleton? Lol This is another good one. 

9. Tyrese Haliburton PG---big defensive point guard that facilitates very well. Not great anywhere, but solid all-around player.
NBA Comparison: Kirk Hinrich

I see a little more Rubio than Hinrich in Haliburton's game. I just 

10. Precious Achiuwa PF---another strong athlete that can defend multiple positions. Lacks offensive ability outside of dunks and pick-setting.
NBA Comparison: Stronger Gerald Wallace

I see more Siakam in him, but still a strong comp. Patrick Williams reminds me more of Wallace tbh. 

On 7/29/2020 at 3:00 PM, NYRaider said:

I think that it depends on the team. For example, if the Warriors win the lottery and keep the pick I could see them drafting OO. He fits well with their core and would be an impact player from day one without having to score the ball or asked to do too much offensively. Generally speaking though, who in this class would be considered a sexy pick? Anthony Edwards, LaMelo Ball, or James Wiseman come to mind but I'm not a huge fan of any of them as prospects. 

Golden State Warriors: An inside look at top 2020 NBA Draft prospect Deni  Avdija - Golden State Of Mind

IDK this man is pretty good looking. 

Edited by YogiBiz

Different teams have different needs and different fits, but having said that, and after having studied some film game tapes, I am now convinced that Patrick Williams is who I want and think Boston needs to most of all players in Boston's draft area (13 to 17th pick) he is a multiple positional defender (2-3-4 positions) all while being a solid "looking shooter" He doesn't need or can create much which is a good thing because has a lot of those types. he can finish and rebound well. looks willing to do the dirty work.. Would even consider trading up a bit to get him..

Now I just need Memphis to miss out and gain Boston a few spots in the draft to make it happen..

Edited by resilient part 2

If Boston can get a few picks higher, (thanks Memphis) Another player I am intrigued about is "he so Precious" .. A high energy athlete with some good defense... He is a good jump shot away from being a poor man's Johnathan Isaac.. I just hope he isn't a talented but needs a a few years to develop type of prospect..

Anyone think he can play sooner than later??

On 8/8/2020 at 7:20 PM, resilient part 2 said:

of the draft PGs coming out, who fits best with the Suns? (whether they may be available or not)

* what if Lamelo fell that far ?? good fit or no??

Idk if LaMelo is a good fit for the Suns. LaMelo takes a bunch of bad shots, and turns the ball over a lot. Honestly Haliburton would be best next to Booker. You could also make the case for Kira Lewis. The ball would be out of Booker's hands more which I think is a good thing since Booker turns the ball over too much. Cole would be nice if he actually tried on D. When that boy is locked in on D he's pretty much locking you down. He has excellent lateral movement. I would bet on Kira being the Suns' target because he plays hard on D, can shoot the ball off the catch or bounce and, is super athletic. He reminds me of a High IQ Brandon Jennings. Which would be really good imo. He should be a top 10 pick, but he will likely fall to the teens. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I saw someone put him at #1 recently

Offensively, he's a potential special talent but he's going to be borderline unplayable on defense out of the gate. He's going to get absolutely WORKED by NBA big men and wings and straight up cooked by guards. 

He's a project who looks good on highlight tapes but the numbers don't match the skill...yet.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1