2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 2/6/2020 at 5:24 AM, beekay414 said:

I think I take Anthony Edwards #1 in this draft unless it's the Warriors drafting in the top spot. The tools are there, he just needs to shoot better. Someone said he reminds them of Jaylen Brown in this thread and I agree there. Jaylen shot 43.1/29.4/65.4 at Cal with a lesser workload than Edwards has had at UGA. 

I dunno. Ask me again in a month and it could be a number of players. Right now, with how Brown has developed, you use that as your projection for Edwards and take him #1. This draft is ****.

Top of it is terrible. I actually like some of the late lottery talent to be good role players. You just probably aren’t getting a superstar out of this draft.

On 2/6/2020 at 5:24 AM, beekay414 said:

I think I take Anthony Edwards #1 in this draft unless it's the Warriors drafting in the top spot. The tools are there, he just needs to shoot better. Someone said he reminds them of Jaylen Brown in this thread and I agree there. Jaylen shot 43.1/29.4/65.4 at Cal with a lesser workload than Edwards has had at UGA. 

I dunno. Ask me again in a month and it could be a number of players. Right now, with how Brown has developed, you use that as your projection for Edwards and take him #1. This draft is ****.

Perfect year for the Knicks to get the #1 pick. Another perimeter player who can’t shoot.

3 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Does anyone want to try an updated top 14 mock draft? Curious to see who rose up and who slid down to this point of the season

Here's a lotto mock using current standings. 1st mock of year so can't show up or down movement but I'll denote whose stock has risen/fallen over last month or so IMO.

1. Warriors- C James Wiseman (--)  |  No brainer pick for a team that already has 2 all star guards and a forward they are stuck with. Wiseman is easily the best true big man in this draft.
  2. Cavs- G Anthony Edwards (--)  |  I think the Cavs have no business being picky with their selection and will go with the best talent on the board, who I think is Edwards.
  3. Hawks- F Obi Toppin (UP)  |  You could argue Ball is the next best player on the board, but A) I'm not a big fan of him and B) if he's going to be a notable player in this league, it will be through his ability to run an offense and create plays. Hawks already have Young for that. Obi is having an insane year, and has everything you could ask for from a 4. Shooting, athleticism, deep offensive arsenal. Small ball 5 potential. He should have an instant impact as rookie, my way too early ROTY favorite.
  4. Wolves- G LaMelo Ball (--)  |  Intriguing prospect, I don't particularly believe in him because his shooting numbers have always been poor but his size and feel for the game make him worth a gamble in a draft so weak at the top. A bit unclear what the Wolves direction is, and the next several top players are fairly ball dominant, so to avoid one just because of Russell would result in taking a significantly worse player.
  5. Knicks- G Tyrese Haliburton (UP)   |  Tremendous skill at the point, as good a passer as anyone in college hoops right now, has a reliable jumper. Good size but not much of an athlete, however, we're seeing plenty "non-athletes" (Harden, Doncic, Trae) dominate as ball dominant players and have no trouble finding their shot so I think it'd be silly to be afraid of touching him. 
  6. Hornets- F/C Onyeka Okongwu (UP)  |  Probably my pick that strays the most from the consensus, I just really like what he brings to the table in the modern NBA. Prototypical 5 for today's game, rim runner on offense and rim protector on D. Great length, explosive, smart, I see instant impact from him. Hornets could swing for a higher ceiling guy, but a team with no concrete building blocks like the Hornets should do their best to find ones, even if it's more a role player and not a potential star. 
  7. Pistons- G Cole Anthony (DOWN)  |  Since there's a slight chance Griffin stays a part of plans, I'll opt with a play making guard here. Cole is perhaps the biggest boom or bust guy in this draft. A bit undersized, hasn't been a great shooter, but also flashes that ability to get to rim or find his shot at will all while being a playmaker 1st. He'll need to be well coached, "tamed" a bit, get a more consistent jumper, and you could have a star on your hands. Or he could simply never adjust to the NBA and struggle for minutes. 
  8. Bulls- F Deni Avdija (--)  |  I know as much about Deni's game as pretty much everyone else at this point, pretty limited tape against good competition... but scouts hold him in high regard. Seems to be your typical Euro that is very team first in his approach to the game, which suggests he'll at least be a rotational player in the NBA given his size and skill. Can shoot, pass, touch around rim. Not a very twitchy athlete, but moves well. Should bulk up if he's going to play the 4, which might be optimal. 
  9. Wizards- G Tyrese Maxey (--)  |  I think a Beal trade is imminent as Wizards will blow it up, although they'll be stuck with Wall in all likelihood. Maxey is a tricky prospect to nail down. As a UK fan I've watched more of him than any other prospect here, and sometimes I see a top 5 pick, other times I see a late 1st. Subpar size and not an exceptional athlete, but he is twitchy and can get up on dunks, perhaps an underrated athlete at this venture. Maxey in the lotto is betting that his 3 pt shooting rate (sub 30%) is a fluke and not reflective of his true ability. His shot looks good, and he has Curry range. Score first guard through and through, much like Beal, also has a nice off the dribble mid range jumper. Penchant for showing up when needed has to carry some value as well. Still, make no mistake, Maxey is a risky pick in the lottery.
  10. Suns- G Nico Mannion (UP)  |  Get this team a real PG. Rubio is serviceable but teams don't respect his jumper, and that makes it tougher for Booker and Ayton to get looks. Suns don't really need to take a swing at one of the remaining boom or bust guys, they have their 2 hopeful stars, so I say settle for a guy like Mannion. High IQ, can shoot the 3. Could instantly improve this team.
  11. Kings- C Daniel Oturu (UP)  |  Athlete, rim protector, shooter, Oturu embodies what the NBA seems to want in their centers. What I like the most about Oturu is his major improvements from year 1 to 2. Gives you the sense that the sky is the limit with a guy like him, who went front having no range as a freshman to forcing teams to respect his 3 as a sophomore.
  12. Spurs- F Isaac Okoro (UP)  |  This is a great pairing. I don't think the Spurs will be blowing thins up as long as Pop is around, and what better a pick for defensive minded pop than a Okoro. He is a plug in play type of guy that pretty much anybody could use. Bread and butter obviously is his defense, he can check guards or college big men, great athlete with high motor, and has been a serviceable scorer with some nice moves off the drrible. Not the sky high ceiling you sometimes look for in the lotto, but pretty safe floor and 3 & D ace potential if he can develop a jumper.
  13. Pelicans- F Jaden McDaniels (DOWN)  |  He hasn't played like a lotto prospect, but I just don't see him falling out of the lottery. Super long athlete with a good looking stroke who can put the ball on the floor. Physically a lot like Ingram, and skills on paper are similar as well. Reality is much different, he's just not been a very good basketball player, but somebody will roll the dice on this kid. Pelicans aren't exactly in position to compete for a title next year, but they also have plenty of pieces, so no harm swinging for the hills here.
  14. Blazers- F Precious Achiuwa (--)  |  I was thinking of slotting a true center here, but the top centers don't really project as rim protectors and that's what the Blazers need from a C. They have enough scoring from their guard tandem, they need a defensive anchor to help cover their flaws. Achiuwa actually could potentially fit that bill as a small ball 5 at the next level. He's well built, long, has been very good on the defensive end while flashing offensive ability as a slasher and even some shooting. 

I think Carey will end up going high because Duke + production, but honestly I don't really see his fit in modern NBA. He's not a great athlete and he can't shoot. Don't see him as rim runner, don't see him as rim protector, don't think his offensive arsenal is enough to suggest he could be a Jokic/Embiid type presence on offense. Hampton also probably finds himself in the lottery, I just wasn't sure where to slot him. He's super raw, and we didn't get to see much of him. I just get the feel teams willing to take risks will opt for a Maxey or McDaniels before such an unknown like Hampton.

Quick top 20 big board, doesn't deviate too much from mock.

1. Edwards
  2. Wiseman
  3. Toppin
  4. Okongwu
  5. Ball
  6. Haliburton
  7. Devi
  8. Cole
  9. Okoro
  10. Maxey
  11. Nico
  12. Precious
  13. Oturu
  14. Carey
  15. Hampton
  16. Maledon
  17. McDaniels
  18. Stewart
  19. Josh Green
  20. Hagans
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Devin Vassell is similar to Mikal Bridges coming out. 

I can't find a weakness in his game.

Great length, leaping, rebounding and defensive ability. High, smooth release, can create his shot easily. Turning into a potential pure scorer and is already plus defender. Good 3 pt shooter. A perfect 3&D player in the NBA. But FSU is deep and the scoring gets spread around, so he doesn't regularly rack up attempts. 

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
24 28.7 49.6 42.0 73.8 5.3 1.7 1.1 1.5 1.8 0.8 13.4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Here's a lotto mock using current standings. 1st mock of year so can't show up or down movement but I'll denote whose stock has risen/fallen over last month or so IMO.

1. Warriors- C James Wiseman (--)  |  No brainer pick for a team that already has 2 all star guards and a forward they are stuck with. Wiseman is easily the best true big man in this draft.
  2. Cavs- G Anthony Edwards (--)  |  I think the Cavs have no business being picky with their selection and will go with the best talent on the board, who I think is Edwards.
  3. Hawks- F Obi Toppin (UP)  |  You could argue Ball is the next best player on the board, but A) I'm not a big fan of him and B) if he's going to be a notable player in this league, it will be through his ability to run an offense and create plays. Hawks already have Young for that. Obi is having an insane year, and has everything you could ask for from a 4. Shooting, athleticism, deep offensive arsenal. Small ball 5 potential. He should have an instant impact as rookie, my way too early ROTY favorite.
  4. Wolves- G LaMelo Ball (--)  |  Intriguing prospect, I don't particularly believe in him because his shooting numbers have always been poor but his size and feel for the game make him worth a gamble in a draft so weak at the top. A bit unclear what the Wolves direction is, and the next several top players are fairly ball dominant, so to avoid one just because of Russell would result in taking a significantly worse player.
  5. Knicks- G Tyrese Haliburton (UP)   |  Tremendous skill at the point, as good a passer as anyone in college hoops right now, has a reliable jumper. Good size but not much of an athlete, however, we're seeing plenty "non-athletes" (Harden, Doncic, Trae) dominate as ball dominant players and have no trouble finding their shot so I think it'd be silly to be afraid of touching him. 
  6. Hornets- F/C Onyeka Okongwu (UP)  |  Probably my pick that strays the most from the consensus, I just really like what he brings to the table in the modern NBA. Prototypical 5 for today's game, rim runner on offense and rim protector on D. Great length, explosive, smart, I see instant impact from him. Hornets could swing for a higher ceiling guy, but a team with no concrete building blocks like the Hornets should do their best to find ones, even if it's more a role player and not a potential star. 
  7. Pistons- G Cole Anthony (DOWN)  |  Since there's a slight chance Griffin stays a part of plans, I'll opt with a play making guard here. Cole is perhaps the biggest boom or bust guy in this draft. A bit undersized, hasn't been a great shooter, but also flashes that ability to get to rim or find his shot at will all while being a playmaker 1st. He'll need to be well coached, "tamed" a bit, get a more consistent jumper, and you could have a star on your hands. Or he could simply never adjust to the NBA and struggle for minutes. 
  8. Bulls- F Deni Avdija (--)  |  I know as much about Deni's game as pretty much everyone else at this point, pretty limited tape against good competition... but scouts hold him in high regard. Seems to be your typical Euro that is very team first in his approach to the game, which suggests he'll at least be a rotational player in the NBA given his size and skill. Can shoot, pass, touch around rim. Not a very twitchy athlete, but moves well. Should bulk up if he's going to play the 4, which might be optimal. 
  9. Wizards- G Tyrese Maxey (--)  |  I think a Beal trade is imminent as Wizards will blow it up, although they'll be stuck with Wall in all likelihood. Maxey is a tricky prospect to nail down. As a UK fan I've watched more of him than any other prospect here, and sometimes I see a top 5 pick, other times I see a late 1st. Subpar size and not an exceptional athlete, but he is twitchy and can get up on dunks, perhaps an underrated athlete at this venture. Maxey in the lotto is betting that his 3 pt shooting rate (sub 30%) is a fluke and not reflective of his true ability. His shot looks good, and he has Curry range. Score first guard through and through, much like Beal, also has a nice off the dribble mid range jumper. Penchant for showing up when needed has to carry some value as well. Still, make no mistake, Maxey is a risky pick in the lottery.
  10. Suns- G Nico Mannion (UP)  |  Get this team a real PG. Rubio is serviceable but teams don't respect his jumper, and that makes it tougher for Booker and Ayton to get looks. Suns don't really need to take a swing at one of the remaining boom or bust guys, they have their 2 hopeful stars, so I say settle for a guy like Mannion. High IQ, can shoot the 3. Could instantly improve this team.
  11. Kings- C Daniel Oturu (UP)  |  Athlete, rim protector, shooter, Oturu embodies what the NBA seems to want in their centers. What I like the most about Oturu is his major improvements from year 1 to 2. Gives you the sense that the sky is the limit with a guy like him, who went front having no range as a freshman to forcing teams to respect his 3 as a sophomore.
  12. Spurs- F Isaac Okoro (UP)  |  This is a great pairing. I don't think the Spurs will be blowing thins up as long as Pop is around, and what better a pick for defensive minded pop than a Okoro. He is a plug in play type of guy that pretty much anybody could use. Bread and butter obviously is his defense, he can check guards or college big men, great athlete with high motor, and has been a serviceable scorer with some nice moves off the drrible. Not the sky high ceiling you sometimes look for in the lotto, but pretty safe floor and 3 & D ace potential if he can develop a jumper.
  13. Pelicans- F Jaden McDaniels (DOWN)  |  He hasn't played like a lotto prospect, but I just don't see him falling out of the lottery. Super long athlete with a good looking stroke who can put the ball on the floor. Physically a lot like Ingram, and skills on paper are similar as well. Reality is much different, he's just not been a very good basketball player, but somebody will roll the dice on this kid. Pelicans aren't exactly in position to compete for a title next year, but they also have plenty of pieces, so no harm swinging for the hills here.
  14. Blazers- F Precious Achiuwa (--)  |  I was thinking of slotting a true center here, but the top centers don't really project as rim protectors and that's what the Blazers need from a C. They have enough scoring from their guard tandem, they need a defensive anchor to help cover their flaws. Achiuwa actually could potentially fit that bill as a small ball 5 at the next level. He's well built, long, has been very good on the defensive end while flashing offensive ability as a slasher and even some shooting. 

I think Carey will end up going high because Duke + production, but honestly I don't really see his fit in modern NBA. He's not a great athlete and he can't shoot. Don't see him as rim runner, don't see him as rim protector, don't think his offensive arsenal is enough to suggest he could be a Jokic/Embiid type presence on offense. Hampton also probably finds himself in the lottery, I just wasn't sure where to slot him. He's super raw, and we didn't get to see much of him. I just get the feel teams willing to take risks will opt for a Maxey or McDaniels before such an unknown like Hampton.

Quick top 20 big board, doesn't deviate too much from mock.

1. Edwards
  2. Wiseman
  3. Toppin
  4. Okongwu
  5. Ball
  6. Haliburton
  7. Devi
  8. Cole
  9. Okoro
  10. Maxey
  11. Nico
  12. Precious
  13. Oturu
  14. Carey
  15. Hampton
  16. Maledon
  17. McDaniels
  18. Stewart
  19. Josh Green
  20. Hagans

Thanks for that. One of the more informative mock drafts I've seen in awhile. I will try to digest it slowly all while trying to figure out what player may drop to Boston.

Edited by resilient part 2
  • Like 1

1st BB, probably will change a lot 

1. Anthony Edwards
2. Onyeka
3. Wiseman
4. Okoro
5. Haliburton
6. Killian Hayes
7. Toppin
8. Lamelo 
9. Cole
10. Nico
11. Vassell

Only ones I'm comfortable ranking rn. Don't know anything about Deni or Hampton, who are both generally in the top ten. Watched other players but don't think any deserve to be this high (Tre Jones, Josh Green, Stewart, McDaniels, etc)

If I'm the Warriors with pick 1 I'm still taking Anthony Edwards. He could fit in well as a 2 with Steph at the 1 and Klay at the 3, but maybe start off as a 6th man. Hell you could run Wiggins at the 4 in some lineups. League is getting smaller and smaller. Look at the starting PF on most of these playoff teams. Giannis, Gallinari, Bogdanovic, Morris, Hayward, Covington.... Not unreasonable to ask Wiggins to match up with any of those guys... Take the better player, ESPECIALLY if he's a guard. DO NOT TAKE THE BIG.

Edited by Kirill

5 hours ago, Kirill said:

If I'm the Warriors with pick 1 I'm still taking Anthony Edwards. He could fit in well as a 2 with Steph at the 1 and Klay at the 3, but maybe start off as a 6th man. Hell you could run Wiggins at the 4 in some lineups. League is getting smaller and smaller. Look at the starting PF on most of these playoff teams. Giannis, Gallinari, Bogdanovic, Morris, Hayward, Covington.... Not unreasonable to ask Wiggins to match up with any of those guys... Take the better player, ESPECIALLY if he's a guard. DO NOT TAKE THE BIG.

Image result for come on now gif

• Like 1