2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

@Sllim Pickens another big thing this year is the shelter in place guidelines. The NBA combine is scheduled for the end of May in Chicago but it probably won't happen. So teams are going to be limited to Zoom meetings and studying whatever tape they have on prospects. That'll hurt a guy like Mane who has played in Canada. 

Thats what I figured, and I could about guarantee that Henry would be back.  I think Henry flashes NBA wing potential but he is just too inconsistent.  He did end the year strong so some may look at that and see the potential.  But I agree, he is at best a late 2nd round pick.  

I think this is a good year to try and go if you are a fringe prospect or just dont like school given the weakness of this class.  Some might be more willing to bet on potential like Mane because of how bad it is and hoping to strike gold, or at least silver.  

• 3 weeks later...

The guy in this class that I'm starting to fall in love with is Aaron Nesmith from Vanderbilt. 6-6 wing, so he has decent size and a 6-10 wingspan. But what really stands out about him is the knockdown shooting ability. 

He's an average athlete and doesn't create his own shot very well, but I think he could become a nice 3-and-D guy off the bench in the NBA. Makes up for the lack of elite athleticism with smarts and length. In a class that lacks a can't miss player, he's the type of guy who can come in and contribute right away, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Formerly_iavikefn said:

The guy in this class that I'm starting to fall in love with is Aaron Nesmith from Vanderbilt. 6-6 wing, so he has decent size and a 6-10 wingspan. But what really stands out about him is the knockdown shooting ability. 

He's an average athlete and doesn't create his own shot very well, but I think he could become a nice 3-and-D guy off the bench in the NBA. Makes up for the lack of elite athleticism with smarts and length. In a class that lacks a can't miss player, he's the type of guy who can come in and contribute right away, IMO.

I would loveeeee Nesmith in Denver. He's my guy. Feel like his shooting is going to get him to the lottery tho

So is LaMelo really the best PG prospect in this class. When reading reports, most people say, his efficiency will improve with better players around him. Yes, his passing ability would be top notch in the league right now. What other skill is even at average for him? He isn't an elite athlete without even a good first step. He is super tight, not light on his feet, and plays too wide. 

His shot might turn out better than his brother's, but barely. What exactly does he do that makes him have Star-Potential? I think his IQ will help him not be a liability on defense, but he doesn't have the quickness or strength to be elite in that area. Elite passing will always have him in starting line-ups, but he's got a while before he contributes in scoring. If he ever does. 

6 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

So is LaMelo really the best PG prospect in this class. When reading reports, most people say, his efficiency will improve with better players around him. Yes, his passing ability would be top notch in the league right now. What other skill is even at average for him? He isn't an elite athlete without even a good first step. He is super tight, not light on his feet, and plays too wide. 

His shot might turn out better than his brother's, but barely. What exactly does he do that makes him have Star-Potential? I think his IQ will help him not be a liability on defense, but he doesn't have the quickness or strength to be elite in that area. Elite passing will always have him in starting line-ups, but he's got a while before he contributes in scoring. If he ever does. 

Lonzo Ball shot the ball at a borderline elite clip in HS and at UCLA. LaMelo sucked as a shooter at every level that he has played at. MCW/Austin Rivers hybrid.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Lonzo Ball shot the ball at a borderline elite clip in HS and at UCLA. LaMelo sucked as a shooter at every level that he has played at. MCW/Austin Rivers hybrid.

Idk MCW and Rivers are actual neutrals on defense. LaMelo will possible be a negative on that end his entire career. He's also really not as good as finisher as you would expect from a 6'7" PG. 

11 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Wonder when this draft will actually happen.. 

LaMelo is so over-rated, YET with this layoff maybe he will learn how to shoot as Lonzo, at least, has upgraded his mechanics..

I was thinking he could maybe evolve in to a Rubio-like player, but god he just has no idea how to play defense at a high level. He's an average athlete with an average IQ at that end. I just don't see the love. If he's picked top 3, you are really buying that he learns the difference between a good and bad shot. Or you know just how to score. 

But a better question for y'all. 

This PG class is weird. It was super hyped going into the year, and maybe the only guys who played up to that hype was maybe Anthony. Hampton showed he is way too raw to be considered an elite prospect. He should've went to college. Anthony proved cares about his shot first, not a bad thing. I honestly think Cole will have a really good career if he can figure out to make the ball go in when he takes bad shots. He exhibits all the things you look for on both sides of the ball. He's got the quickness to stay in front of almost anyone, and he's got the chops to turn into a go-to scorer if he improve his shot selection. Haliburton looks really good, not elite, just really good. He'll consistently give you 13-18PPG while being up there in assists and being a really good defender. Hayes is interesting, because as a Knicks fan French Guards make me really angry. But Hayes doesn't have that tentative style of play that plagues Frankie Smokes.  He has also shown way more offensively than Frank ever did while being a really good defender. However, he might have a low floor too. Never goes with his right hand for anything. Bad athlete though, and doesn't have elite handles. Grant Riller is going to be very good btw. Just thought I should add that as well. Scores literally at will against his level of comp, but watching you see shades of Lillard in his game. Silky smooth off the pull up from any where. Good from deep. Dependable finisher. Very high skill level already. He is elite. 

I really like Mannion; he was an efficient scorer from all three levels and was elite with dribble pull ups, spot ups, and in the PnR. Also Mannion showed off some great Floor General-ness as he was the engine that sparked the Wildcats offense all season. Also he's actually fairly quick when guarding the perimeter, and has shown decent IQ when guarding on the ball. Def has more lateral quickness than Ball. He settled for a lot floaters at the beginning of the year, but that changed as the season wore on. As he got more aggressive late in conference play. He's got really nice vision for the PnR as well and overall he always makes the right passes even if they don't lead to an assist. Not Ball in this regard, but few prospects are.  I think he'll turn out to be the best scorer of the bunch. Showed some real nice skills in the pull up game and off the dribble. I think his floor, is a good starter. Which is much higher than any other PG on this list, his ceiling is that of a highly skilled offensive dynamo that can make an entire offense better with his passing and scoring. I just think Anthony has elite two way potential. I wouldn't be mad if someone chose Mannion's floor and clearer upside over one of the higher upside guards in this draft. 

If I had to rank the PGs in this class it would go:

1. Cole Anthony 
  2. Nico Mannion
  3. Grant Riller 
  4. Tyrese Haliburton
  5. Killian Hayes 
  6. LaMelo Ball
  7. Tyrell Terry

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Idk MCW and Rivers are actual neutrals on defense. LaMelo will possible be a negative on that end his entire career. He's also really not as good as finisher as you would expect from a 6'7" PG. 

I was thinking he could maybe evolve in to a Rubio-like player, but god he just has no idea how to play defense at a high level. He's an average athlete with an average IQ at that end. I just don't see the love. If he's picked top 3, you are really buying that he learns the difference between a good and bad shot. Or you know just how to score. 

But a better question for y'all. 

This PG class is weird. It was super hyped going into the year, and maybe the only guys who played up to that hype was maybe Anthony. Hampton showed he is way too raw to be considered an elite prospect. He should've went to college. Anthony proved cares about his shot first, not a bad thing. I honestly think Cole will have a really good career if he can figure out to make the ball go in when he takes bad shots. He exhibits all the things you look for on both sides of the ball. He's got the quickness to stay in front of almost anyone, and he's got the chops to turn into a go-to scorer if he improve his shot selection. Haliburton looks really good, not elite, just really good. He'll consistently give you 13-18PPG while being up there in assists and being a really good defender. Hayes is interesting, because as a Knicks fan French Guards make me really angry. But Hayes doesn't have that tentative style of play that plagues Frankie Smokes.  He has also shown way more offensively than Frank ever did while being a really good defender. However, he might have a low floor too. Never goes with his right hand for anything. Bad athlete though, and doesn't have elite handles. Grant Riller is going to be very good btw. Just thought I should add that as well. Scores literally at will against his level of comp, but watching you see shades of Lillard in his game. Silky smooth off the pull up from any where. Good from deep. Dependable finisher. Very high skill level already. He is elite. 

I really like Mannion; he was an efficient scorer from all three levels and was elite with dribble pull ups, spot ups, and in the PnR. Also Mannion showed off some great Floor General-ness as he was the engine that sparked the Wildcats offense all season. Also he's actually fairly quick when guarding the perimeter, and has shown decent IQ when guarding on the ball. Def has more lateral quickness than Ball. He settled for a lot floaters at the beginning of the year, but that changed as the season wore on. As he got more aggressive late in conference play. He's got really nice vision for the PnR as well and overall he always makes the right passes even if they don't lead to an assist. Not Ball in this regard, but few prospects are.  I think he'll turn out to be the best scorer of the bunch. Showed some real nice skills in the pull up game and off the dribble. I think his floor, is a good starter. Which is much higher than any other PG on this list, his ceiling is that of a highly skilled offensive dynamo that can make an entire offense better with his passing and scoring. I just think Anthony has elite two way potential. I wouldn't be mad if someone chose Mannion's floor and clearer upside over one of the higher upside guards in this draft. 

1. Cole Anthony 
  2. Nico Mannion
  3. Grant Riller 
  4. Tyrese Haliburton
  5. Killian Hayes 
  6. LaMelo Ball
  7. Tyrell Terry

good read..

11 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

1. Cole Anthony