Utah Jazz Thread | Highlighter Era!

NYRaider

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Who is currently better?

They have 3 18+ PPG scorers now. Mitchell is still getting better.

Mitchell was BEYOND garbage in the postseason this year.  I think he actually took a step backwards in that series.  Guy was a grade A chucker.  I made a post in this thread that said he's interesting because he has the ability to be a Damian Lillard-esque player.  I think he needs to take a big step forward this upcoming season for the Jazz to be legit contenders.  The Jazz aren't a contender if he continues to play the way he plays.  I don't care about the regular season, I'm talking about him in the postseason.

I think the Jazz are like a middle of the road playoff team in the West.  I could see them being like the 4th or 5th best team.  And yea, they have three 18 ppg scores, but if one of them is Mitchell shooting like 30% from the field then good luck with that.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Mitchell was BEYOND garbage in the postseason this year.  I think he actually took a step backwards in that series.  Guy was a grade A chucker.  I made a post in this thread that said he's interesting because he has the ability to be a Damian Lillard-esque player.  I think he needs to take a big step forward this upcoming season for the Jazz to be legit contenders.  The Jazz aren't a contender if he continues to play the way he plays.  I don't care about the regular season, I'm talking about him in the postseason.

I think the Jazz are like a middle of the road playoff team in the West.  I could see them being like the 4th or 5th best team.  And yea, they have three 18 ppg scores, but if one of them is Mitchell shooting like 30% from the field then good luck with that.

You understand he had no help last year, right? He now has 2 other creators and people defense actually have to worry about. Life's going to be much easier for him now.

12 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Utah is currently the West favorites to me.

One of the favorites?  Absolutely.  The favorite?  I'm not sure I'd go that far.  It's a cluster right now.  Denver and Portland aren't going anywhere, and Oklahoma City should be good again.  The Warriors aren't the juggernaut they were before, but they're going to be competitive as are the Lakers.  And until things blow up in Houston, they'll be good too.

Mitchell had a terrible series no doubt. The Rockets have been exposing him a bit the last two postseasons, but he was also put in a tough situation. Lone true shot creator against a team that switches everything and had good enough wing defenders to make him take tough shots. But he ended the season well from January on averaging like 27 PPG on 45/40 shooting splits. He should be able to continue from last year's end and will have more room to operate with Conley and Bogdonavich. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

One of the favorites?  Absolutely.  The favorite?  I'm not sure I'd go that far.  It's a cluster right now.  Denver and Portland aren't going anywhere, and Oklahoma City should be good again.  The Warriors aren't the juggernaut they were before, but they're going to be competitive as are the Lakers.  And until things blow up in Houston, they'll be good too.

I don't disagree that there are other good teams, but unless Kawhi goes to the Lakers, I'm picking Utah to win the West.

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

You understand he had no help last year, right? He now has 2 other creators and people defense actually have to worry about. Life's going to be much easier for him now.

I'm sorry, but Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell aren't beating the Lakers in the playoffs.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:24 PM, showtime said:

You're insane.  They won't be able to consistently score with that team deep in the playoffs.  Mitchell is a chucker.

Mitchell's stats were skewed because of a poor start when he wasn't healthy but he was really strong down the stretch last year.

January: 27.7 ppg | 4.4 rpg | 5.1 apg on 45.3% FG | 41.2% 3FG

February: 25.4 ppg | 5.3 rpg | 4.8 apg on 40.2% FG | 32.8% 3FG

March: 25.3 ppg | 4.2 rpg | 4.1 apg on 46.4% FG | 44.3% 3FG

April: 28.4 ppg | 4.4 rpg | 5.8 apg on 45.9% FG | 50.0% 3FG

For the last two seasons, he has had to carry such a huge offensive load here. Replacing Rubio/Ingles/Favors into the starting 5 with Conley/Bogdanovic/Green is going to do wonders for our spacing and he'll finally have two other 20+ ppg scorers in the lineup with him. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:35 AM, seminoles1 said:

He was playing with a non-shooting/scoring PG and two centers most of the time. We had terrible spacing and it's amazing that we won 50+ games the last two years with the roster that we had. 

On 7/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, showtime said:

I'm sorry, but Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell aren't beating the Lakers in the playoffs.

The Lakers have to make the playoffs first buddy. Mitchell had legit zero help, his #2 offensive option was Joe Ingles last season. Now he has two other legit 20+ ppg scorers in the lineup and two stretch PF's that are going to really clear up space for him to operate. Keep hating thooooo.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:17 AM, showtime said:

The starting 5 around Mitchell in that series shot a combined like 24% from deep and only made 12 3's in 5 games. The man had it tough and still carried our offense the last two years with no other offensive weapon in the lineup. Gonna be crazy to see him with some offensive weapons around him. 

Spacing and having secondary playmakers is crucial in today's NBA. Look at the Lakers, LeBron had meh shooting and lacked a secondary offensive creator (Kuz/Ingram were more productive than anything Mitchell had at creating their own O) and they were a fringe .500 team even with LeBron on the court...

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1