Any bad Encounters with Critters?

Balyoist

Bad Critter encounters?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which critter?

• 9 months later...

When I was a kid, a psychotic gray squirrel stalked our home for months. It would hang out on the roof jabbering at us, climb the gutters, and try to chew and claw its way into the attic. Once time it came down the chimney and into the house. Even after I left for summer camp, the madness continued. Finally the thing disappeared, but I've been leery of squirrels ever since.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

When I was a kid, a psychotic gray squirrel stalked our home for months. It would hang out on the roof jabbering at us, climb the gutters, and try to chew and claw its way into the attic. Once time it came down the chimney and into the house. Even after I left for summer camp, the madness continued. Finally the thing disappeared, but I've been leery of squirrels ever since.

Yikes.  Chimney caps are very important!  They keep birds from nesting in there during the summer and blocking the draft when you try to start your first fire of the year in the fall.  They also keep out squirrels too, apparently.

hy-c-chimney-cap-stainless.jpg

Also, lol.

• Like 2

A small possum fell out of one of the trees in my backyard yesterday when I was taking the dog out to go to the bathroom.  It seriously landed a couple of feet between my wife and I and ran off.  A possum almost fell on our heads yall.

Incidentally, today's project is cutting back as much undergrowth as we possibly can in this yard.

• Like 2

We need more South Americans on here to share Bullet Ant encounters.

Theyre the greatest animals in the world so see strike. Unless its you while in the middle of a supermarket. Where your screaming about being shot while wiping out an entire section of laundry detergent from shelves in front an audience. Which for me. Happened more often than you would think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

We need more South Americans on here to share Bullet Ant encounters.

Theyre the greatest animals in the world so see strike. Unless its you while in the middle of a supermarket. Where your screaming about being shot while wiping out an entire section of laundry detergent from shelves in front an audience. Which for me. Happened more often than you would think.

I laughed. Then I read about bullet ants and I am no longer laughing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theJ said:

In Venezuela around my place. Piles of street vendors selling anything. Amazing foods and fresh produce.

Every so often a bullet ant would be in some produce or something being unloaded. And see like an 80yo woman flopping around in the street like a fish screaming from a strike. Always felt terrible laughing till tears were pouring. Cause I know how horrible it is. But when its someone else. Its like the greatest thing in the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theJ said:

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

In Venezuela around my place. Piles of street vendors selling anything. Amazing foods and fresh produce.

Every so often a bullet ant would be in some produce or something being unloaded. And see like an 80yo woman flopping around in the street like a fish screaming from a strike. Always felt terrible laughing till tears were pouring. Cause I know how horrible it is. But when its someone else. Its like the greatest thing in the world.

Wiki:
The bullet ant's sting is currently the highest on Schmidt's sting pain index, at 4.0+. Some victims compared the pain to that of being shot, hence the name of the insect.

The Sateré-Mawé people of Brazil use intentional bullet ant stings as part of their initiation rites to become warriors.[30] The ants are first rendered unconscious by submerging them in a natural sedative, and then 80 of them are woven into gloves made of leaves (which resembles a large oven mitt), stingers facing inward. When the ants regain consciousness, a boy slips the gloves onto his hands. The goal of this initiation rite is to keep the glove on for five minutes. When finished, the boy's hand and part of his arm are temporarily paralyzed because of the ant venom, and he may shake uncontrollably for days.

Seems dumb tbh 

• Like 1