Jacoby Brissett traded to the Colts for WR Phillip Dorsett

1ForTheThumb

Good God.

What a strange trade. I don't know if I like it, I kinda wanted Brissett to succeed and Dorsett has done nothing. But we know Brissett wasn't starting anytime soon and hopefully PD can turn it around with a fresh start. 

Are we going to try and turn him into a slot WR to replace Edelman? I know he was a speedster in college but with Cooks already in the mix it doesn't make much sense to me. 

Dorsett played 72.5% of offensive snaps for the Colts last season (2nd most among their WRs) and was targeted 59 times (33 catches, 528 yards).

To put that in perspective, Chris Hogan played 74.1% of the Pats' offensive snaps last year and was targeted 58 times (38 catches, 680 yards).

What a weird trade. Dorsett has a lot to prove at this level. As I said in the other thread, never been tooooo impressed with Brissett but he's young and has experience, I'd have thought that'd be worth a little more.

In other news they're clearly franchising JG next offseason.

So what does this mean for the WR depth chart? Does he bump Mitchell down a spot, or are they competing for snaps? Does he perhaps bump Amendola down a place too? It's always hard to say because Brady takes so long to get into a groove with new WRs. Dorsett might not get any play time until after the bye.

Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Dorsett, Mitchell? Maybe they'll dispense with the idea of a depth chart all together, and just play match ups?

16 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

So what does this mean for the WR depth chart? Does he bump Mitchell down a spot, or are they competing for snaps? Does he perhaps bump Amendola down a place too? It's always hard to say because Brady takes so long to get into a groove with new WRs. Dorsett might not get any play time until after the bye.

Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Dorsett, Mitchell? Maybe they'll dispense with the idea of a depth chart all together, and just play match ups?

Dorsett is pretty firmly at the bottom of the depth chart to begin. He has no knowledge of the offense.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

It could be that Mitchell is yet to get to 100%

That would make sense...

This trade was really unexpected, I thought we could trade/release Jacoby, but I wasn't expecting a WR in exchange.

Next off-season will be full of drama with the whole Brady/Garoppolo deal. Maybe this really is Brady's last stand... the mere idea of him retiring makes me sick. 

I think Dorsett's primary role on the team is going to be in the return game, having known we've lost the top 2 guys there for the season. He'll provide depth on offense but I wouldn't expect him to have some untapped potential there. I think he was over hyped and over drafted  by a bad GM in a weak draft class.... 

1 hour ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Yeah... this trade makes may signal that 2017 is Brady's last here... or that Brady will be here for three more years and Jimmy is not the successor. 

I don't see anything the Patriots do with Brissett as having any effect on Brady. This had more to do with filling a certain role on the team that nobody became available to anymore. I'm betting the Pats offered something else and the Colts came right back with Brissett on the table....

Indifferent. Brissett was never, realistically, making any starts whilst Brady and Jimmy are healthy and active. Would have preferred more compensation for the trade (i.e a high round pick) but I guess Dorsett was ranked and drafted high. Also, we will make him better than he has shown; that is just inevitable. It's not a bad trade, it's not an exciting trade. We will forget about it by week 3 or something.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Also, we will make him better than he has shown; that is just inevitable.

Not sure if I'm quite so bullish on that as you are, but fingers crossed he produces well. Though to be fair, I'm not sure how much work he will see if everybody remains healthy.

Archived