Jacoby Brissett traded to the Colts for WR Phillip Dorsett

1ForTheThumb

9 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

I think Dorsett's primary role on the team is going to be in the return game, having known we've lost the top 2 guys there for the season. He'll provide depth on offense but I wouldn't expect him to have some untapped potential there. I think he was over hyped and over drafted  by a bad GM in a weak draft class.... 

We'll see on the return game -- the Colts tried him out there his rookie year and he didn't take to it and they never put him back in there. IDK if Belichick will throw him in there right away, but I'm sure he'll get a look in the return game in practice

I don't know why anybody would think this reflects on the Brady and Garoppolo situation. Brisset clearly wasn't developing the way they want him to, they weren't going anywhere if both Tom and Jimmy went down and Jacoby was forced into the starting role, they needed a receiver with Edelman out, it was a no brainer. Jacoby had a great work ethic, but he was insurance in a year where we knew the starter was out for a few games and we were starting at string 2 for atleast a quarter of the season. Now that isn't the case and he hasn't improved enough with another year. All this says to me is they think they could easily find another Brisset in the next draft or in free agency if it came down to it. 

Brisset was never going to be an heir apparent when Brady leaves and he wasn't the answer if Jimmy left in FA and Brady got an injury or declined. So he became expendable this year. Next year they likely draft or find a QB in free agency and make a decision on Brady vs Jimmy depending on how Brady holds up this year and how Jimmy looks in practice. 

10 hours ago, lancerman said:

All this says to me is they think they could easily find another Brisset in the next draft or in free agency if it came down to it. 

That could be true, however I still think you can relate the trade to whether or not they plan on keeping Jimmy after this season. Harder to make a trade for a cheap option under team control when you think the guy ahead of him is going to walk. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

That could be true, however I still think you can relate the trade to whether or not they plan on keeping Jimmy after this season. Harder to make a trade for a cheap option under team control when you think the guy ahead of him is going to walk. 

Honestly I think they think exactly what is reported. They thinkBrady has 3-5 years and he's playing this year. So after Garropolo's contract ends, you have 2-4 years. 

To them maybe it is worth it to stretch the cap and franchise Jimmy for a year or two after this season and then decide if Brady's done or if they want to forego his final two seasons. 

38 minutes ago, lancerman said:

To them maybe it is worth it to stretch the cap and franchise Jimmy for a year or two after this season and then decide if Brady's done or if they want to forego his final two seasons. 

I am hoping beyond hope that Jimmy will sign a somewhat team friendly long-term deal with the expectation that he is the guy soonish. Maybe a deal where the base is low but with easy to hit incentives for a starter that boost him for when he actually plays. Like each start is a big boost or something. I am nowhere near a capologist, so idk if that is even a doable thing. 

Archived