Goldfish's Slightly Too Early 2019 Season Predictions - All 32 up

goldfishwars

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

I would put the Raiders really low if I were ranking teams if for no other reason than I don't see a ton of wins for them in that schedule. 

I too use losses as a way to gauge a team's success. We're cut from the same cloth. 

28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Image result for buccaneers arians

What’s New in 2019:

The whole coaching staff has been blown up, 90 years old Bruce Arians comes out of retirement to take the helm. He's installed a first year offensive coordinator in Byron Leftwich, and his former DC and former Jets head coach Todd Bowles who will bring his brand of the 3-4 to the defense. Ndamukong Suh was the big pick-up in free agency which was otherwise relatively quiet with Blaine Gabbert coming in to back-up Jamies, Shaq Barrett to help the pass-rush and Breshad Perriman to try and save his career. Tampa's draft class was met with a big of a shrug, with picks on positions that seem very familiar to other recent classes. 

Roster Strengths:

Tight End – OJ Howard was quietly excellent over 10 games in year 2 and Cameron Brate still offers a decent red zone receiving threat (12 TDs in the last two seasons) as the second tight end in the rotation

Defensive Tackle – The signing of Ndamukong Suh gives the Buccs two monsters on the inside with Vita Vea coming along at the end of his rookie season after a slow start

Linebacker – A pairing of Devin White and Lavonte David roaming behind the behemoths sounds great to picture at this point in the off-season

Elsewhere – Mike Evans is reliably great and the emerging Chris Godwin gives the Buccs a good 1-2 punch at receiver, although it’s not obvious who the third and fourth players are in that receiver rotation right now. 

Roster Weaknesses:

Offensive Line – A really weak starting group on paper and a terrifyingly thin back-up situation which is going to be further stressed by a Bruce Arians offense.

Running Back – Peyton Barber is apparently the absolute best they can conjure up, so unless the light switches on for Ronald Jones after disaster rookie year – he’s getting the rock again in 2019

Elsewhere – There are literally no clear starters at any spot in the secondary, which is weird. 

Breakout Player:

OJ Howard – I think 2019 is the season people take notice if he can put a fully healthy year together. He really does have an all-round package at the position. 

How they can win in 2019:

Arians worked his magic on a Cardinals roster, turning a previously uninspired roster into contenders. He’s got a similar job on his hands here and has got to get consistent play from the quarterback position, something his predecessors failed to deliver with Jamies Winston who hasn't been able to erase dumb plays from his game. There is just no room for injuries to major players at all and a run game which finished 29th in total rushing yards last year has to function without an obvious game-changing focal point. Both points of improvement can only come if the offensive line plays above expectation. 

On defense, Todd Bowles has a little more to play with in a front seven which has some potential to be a key calling card for this defense. But, they’ve got to locate their starters at the back-end and there’s more names than sure-things there currently and a lot of recent draft capital spent fixing and re-fixing with no clear answers. The Buccs conceded the third highest number of touchdowns through the air last year and the fifth highest in total yards, those combinations have to be identified early and hit the ground running. 

Predicted record 2019:

4-12 - Arians had great success in Arizona, but really has his work cut out to turn the Buccs into a winning team in year one of his stay in Tampa. It's such a thin roster at key spots that it's hard to see how they can compete consistently over a long NFL season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

I too use losses as a way to gauge a team's success. We're cut from the same cloth. 

I'm saying that even if they're talented and maybe "better" than some teams that will have better records at the season's end, it's hard to not put them near the bottom if they have a really bad record, even with the tough schedule they have being in the AFCW.  Felt the need to clarify that since we all know W/L total isn't the be all end all for which teams are better.

• Like 1

They have the talent to pull it off (like the Chiefs did last year)

Step 1: You must get the #1 Seed!

• I know there own home field is weak but you want to avoid playing in New England or Arrowhead, or a dome like Indy.

Step 2: Don' screw it up! (looking at you Dee Ford)

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

I actually like the Raiders as a sleeper 10-6 team; Derek Carr has the talent to become a top 10 QB, some would argue that he got there a few seasons ago.

Carr with a revamped WR and OL unit can hang with a very talented AFCW, and they can be one of those surprise contenders for a #6 spot in the WC.

It feels good knowing that I've contributed to your 6.8k+ likes on the new site, because you got the good postz.

I think Oakland could surprise too this year. and be in contention for the #6 spot in the AFC.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

It feels good knowing that I've contributed to your 6.8k+ likes on the new site, because you got the good postz.

I think Oakland could surprise too this year. and be in contention for the #6 spot in the AFC.

Hit me up on that Jonah Williams thread in News, too. I see you, and I get you back, buddy. 

There are concerns and that schedule is a road to hell if I've seen one, but I really think Oakland is going to steal a game nobody is expecting them to win. Then, another one... Then another one...

• Like 1

Have to say, that oversize helmet logo still looks ridiculous. Fix. The. Uniforms.

Actually just go back to the 2000s unis, because any "fix" Nike is involved in will just make them worse. Back on subject, I would like the Bucs to get better under Arians because they're the only team in the NFC South I'm not sick of looking at. But I can't see them going very far this year. I think the Falcons will rebound, the Saints will manage one more strong season, and the Panthers with Cam Newton are always troublesome. 6-10 is probably their ceiling.

Edited by y*so*blu

27. Detroit Lions

KFD4KHB2C5GBNDLUZ63F374QKI.JPG

What’s New in 2019:

A new offensive coordinator in Darrell Bevell who was a love/hate figure in his six seasons with the Seahawks and had a mixed career in Minnesota before that. Former Patriot Trey Flowers was signed for an enormous contract in FA and former Patriot Justin Coleman was brought in to play some slot. TJ Hockenson was the headline act of a quirky draft class. He could give this offense a real x-factor, even if traditionally top tight ends take a couple of years to show something.

Roster Strengths:

Defensive Line – They’ve got two monsters inside in A’Shawn Robinson, who was quietly excellent last year and Damon Harrison who is always excellent at what he does. On the edges, there’s not a lot of subtlety, but Da’Shawn Hand was a nice edge-setting find in the late rounds of the draft last year and the big off season addition Trey Flowers will offer more of that opposite. That’s a starting front four, at least, that is going to be really tough to run on. That’s the Patricia blueprint. 

Elsewhere – Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones is a more than serviceable tandem outside, Danny Amendola is a nice third passing option. Taylor Decker and Ricky Wagner are a slightly above average tackle combo, which is what you need to have to succeed in the NFL. Darius Slay is always reliable on one side of the defensive field. Matthew Stafford is ever the mercurial talent and I loved Frank Ragnow coming out last year, so interested to see how he does in his second season. 

Roster Weaknesses:

Linebacker – It still looks kinda bulky and not very agile. Jarrad Davis had a noticeable drop in play last year and will need to bounce back.

Secondary – Whoever suits up opposite Darius Slay, be it Teez Tabor, Rashaan Melvin or new rookie Amani Oruwariye. It looks a troublesome spot on paper. At safety, both starting jobs could be won in camp 

Elsewhere – It’s a functional offensive roster, but it noticeably lacks an explosive element. Right guard Kenny Wiggins is pretty uninspiring at right guard without an obvious replacement for his spot.

Breakout Player:

Kerryon Johnson – Had an impressive start to his rookie season, but didn’t play after week 11 where he injured his leg. He’s going to be the lead back in his second season and the Lions are going to run the football, probably a lot.

How they can win in 2019:

On offense, how Stafford meshes with yet another offensive coordinator will have a big impact on what the Lions are able to do in 2019. They’ve really got to find a consistent way to move the football, clearly that seems to be heading towards a ground heavy attack and a commitment to longer drives. Marshalling a patient offense has never been Stafford’s speciality so we’ll see how that pans out. He does have some passing targets this year, so if the ground attack thrives there will be opportunities for some signature big plays and some nice options underneath and down the seams.  

On defense, it’s a pressure scheme designed to frustrate opponents into bad decisions rather than one that is going to penetrate and attack so that has to be executed to perfection. Outside of Trey Flowers, who does that role well inside, there isn’t a player who can generate much of a pass-rush so that will have to be schemed in. Again, that's by design as much as anything. Teams will want to test this pass defense early and often, so that has to hold up. 

Predicted record 2019:

5-11 - Man, I just think there's more to football than focusing your efforts on being hard to beat and sometimes low-risk football bring back low rewards. 

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

I actually like the Raiders as a sleeper 10-6 team; Derek Carr has the talent to become a top 10 QB, some would argue that he got there a few seasons ago.

Carr with a revamped WR and OL unit can hang with a very talented AFCW, and they can be one of those surprise contenders for a #6 spot in the WC.

I think we're one of those teams where if everything clicks and we stay injury free we could surprise an awful lot of people, the OL should be a lot better if we're fit at least (sans Cable) and we have some viable receivers and AB looking motivated. The trouble I see is we need a lot of things to go right, a few players to step up and if only a few go wrong we could be in trouble.

Great thread though goldfishwars and really interesting to read through!

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I think we're one of those teams where if everything clicks and we stay injury free we could surprise an awful lot of people, the OL should be a lot better if we're fit at least (sans Cable) and we have some viable receivers and AB looking motivated. The trouble I see is we need a lot of things to go right, a few players to step up and if only a few go wrong we could be in trouble.

Great thread though goldfishwars and really interesting to read through!

Thanks!

The trouble is for things to go right, the Raiders need to win early and that opening schedule is brutal.