Jump to content
goldfishwars

Goldfish's Slightly Too Early 2019 Season Predictions - All 32 up

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I actually like the Raiders as a sleeper 10-6 team; Derek Carr has the talent to become a top 10 QB, some would argue that he got there a few seasons ago.

Carr with a revamped WR and OL unit can hang with a very talented AFCW, and they can be one of those surprise contenders for a #6 spot in the WC.

They definitely could be much better, but where do you see those wins coming from on that schedule? My concern is if they clock losses early, there's not a lot of resilient personalities on that team, perhaps that's a useless bit of psychology to inject in the mix. Carr has looked good when the offensive line has, but they were bad last year and Cable is a terrible offensive line coach, provably and factually terrible. Trent Brown is the major addition one year from playing well in a contract year for a Patriots line coached by Scar and he makes everyone look good. Before that, the Niners cut bait because of his lack of motivation. The fact that Incognito has been pencilled in at left guard, with everything that dude has been up to, is a big concern.

No obvious pass-rush plus an inexperienced back-end is not a great combination either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I would put the Raiders really low if I were ranking teams if for no other reason than I don't see a ton of wins for them in that schedule.  KC and the Chargers should give them four losses, and there seems to be a noticeably higher level of talent in Denver too, who happens to be first and last opponent, when they're still figuring it out and when wild cards might still be theoretically in play.

Then the rest of that schedule is just brutal.  They've got the Packers and Texans early, so Watson and Rodgers will still be healthy, the Titans late, so Simmons and Casey will both be on the field.  The only thing going for them is that their three "easiest" games (Bengals, Lions, Jags) are all at home.

 

58 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

They definitely could be much better, but where do you see those wins coming from on that schedule? My concern is if they clock losses early, there's not a lot of resilient personalities on that team, perhaps that's a useless bit of psychology to inject in the mix. Carr has looked good when the offensive line has, but they were bad last year and Cable is a terrible offensive line coach, provably and factually terrible. Trent Brown is the major addition one year from playing well in a contract year for a Patriots line coached by Scar and he makes everyone look good. Before that, the Niners cut bait because of his lack of motivation. The fact that Incognito has been pencilled in at left guard, with everything that dude has been up to, is a big concern.

No obvious pass-rush plus an inexperienced back-end is not a great combination either. 

I'll admit, I didn't look at the schedule before posting. I get the divisional games, but I could see them steal a game or two in there...

...this being said, I'll concede the schedule would probably factor into a worse record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ET80 said:

 

I'll admit, I didn't look at the schedule before posting. I get the divisional games, but I could see them steal a game or two in there...

...this being said, I'll concede the schedule would probably factor into a worse record.

How about the fact that the team and coaching staff are full of crazy people?

That's gonna be a disaster. 20% change somebody gets stabbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How about the fact that the team and coaching staff are full of crazy people?

That's gonna be a disaster. 20% change somebody gets stabbed.

Sometimes, that works out. Hell, it worked for the Cowboys in the 90s; Michael Irvin literally stabbed a DL in the locker room back then, and he's got three rings to show for it.

In 1993, Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride got into a fistfight on the sidelines while both coaching for the Oilers - that team went 12-4 and only lost because Joe Montana is a wizard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FinSting said:

Sweet readin'.

I was kinda forgetting about the NFL after the Quiet Time of June, patiently waiting for training camps, and sadly cringing when reading stuff today like the Bengals 1st rd pick o-lineman being out for the year after surgery. 

I'm thinking the leadership skills of Fins coach Brian Flores will be on full display this season and Miami will win more games than expected (which in this thread, 3 wins would be overproduction). One of my good friends is a lifelong Pats fan and he was always raving about Flores being a quietly awesome coach, coaching up players to give max effort. 

The o-line was awful last year, the d-line was awful last year...nowhere to go but up. Bring on those 2 TE sets, bring on that hybrid 3-4

But if Rosen can't beat out Fitzmagic...bad juju. 

This is where I'm at. Even if Flores is Wilks 2.0, I think the all of the secondary hires will hopefully off set it. Most of the position coaches we hired improve every unit they have touched 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Sometimes, that works out. Hell, it worked for the Cowboys in the 90s; Michael Irvin literally stabbed a DL in the locker room back then, and he's got three rings to show for it.

In 1993, Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride got into a fistfight on the sidelines while both coaching for the Oilers - that team went 12-4 and only lost because Joe Montana is a wizard.

Definitely. One of the most memorable things in my 49er fandom memory is the mild mannered Steve Young going ballistic on George Seifert during the Eagles game back in 94. They went down 14-0 to the lions the following week (I think it was the lions), then proceeded to simply annihilate everything in their path. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Sometimes, that works out. Hell, it worked for the Cowboys in the 90s; Michael Irvin literally stabbed a DL in the locker room back then, and he's got three rings to show for it.

In 1993, Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride got into a fistfight on the sidelines while both coaching for the Oilers - that team went 12-4 and only lost because Joe Montana is a wizard.

There's productive football crazy, then there's Richie Incognito crazy. Getting stabbed on the sideline because the team needs to execute, I'm all about it. Getting stabbed on the sideline because the voices in your head say the other guy is a demon? Not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

...it was actually because Irvin wanted a haircut, but didn't want to stand in line.

I cannot make this up. This ACTUALLY happened: 

https://www.theversed.com/10506/scissorgate-remembering-michael-irvin-nearly-stabbed-teammate-death/#.2AnbSgmusp

 

He was trying to run a fade but got bumped at the line. Football related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I actually like the Raiders as a sleeper 10-6 team; Derek Carr has the talent to become a top 10 QB, some would argue that he got there a few seasons ago.

Carr with a revamped WR and OL unit can hang with a very talented AFCW, and they can be one of those surprise contenders for a #6 spot in the WC.

The existence of Tom Cable takes away the OL point. They return 3 starters, and one change was Osemele down to Incognito, so I'm not sure I'd called it revamped. But it looked like a talented OL last year and they wound up giving up 51 sacks.

Tom Cable destroys anything good or positive about the OL he coaches. The Raiders OL implemented when he arrived. Seattle's looked great the second he left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be a better team next season no doubt, but our schedule is absurd. I think people are sleeping on us too much tbh, partly because they don't like the personalities in our locker room vs. how much talent we added.

Overall I see us anywhere from 6-8 wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

The existence of Tom Cable takes away the OL point. They return 3 starters, and one change was Osemele down to Incognito, so I'm not sure I'd called it revamped. But it looked like a talented OL last year and they wound up giving up 51 sacks.

Tom Cable destroys anything good or positive about the OL he coaches. The Raiders OL implemented when he arrived. Seattle's looked great the second he left.

I wouldn't go that far. We had two rookie T's starting. One wasn't supposed to see any time at all and the other was hurt for 90% of the season. Cable SUCKS but individually we have very solid players on the line. 

  • Osemele substantially declined on the field the past couple years and wasn't anything more than average at best. From a pure talent stand point I wouldn't be surprised if he and Incognito have similar production. Who knows if he can keep his head on straight, but if he can we got a very capable starter for peanuts. Good is a viable backup who played well down the stretch for us too at G.
  • Hudson is 1 A/B the best C's in the game.
  • Jackson is a good RG.
  • Trent Brown is a good RT.
  • And Kolton Miller actually looked good the first handful of games at LT before crippling his knee. He's added a bunch of good weight this year and is healthy. With another off-season his game should improve.

We have the worst o-line coaching I would say, but as far as personnel goes I thin we are easily top 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ET80 said:

...it was actually because Irvin wanted a haircut, but didn't want to stand in line.

I cannot make this up. This ACTUALLY happened: 

https://www.theversed.com/10506/scissorgate-remembering-michael-irvin-nearly-stabbed-teammate-death/#.2AnbSgmusp

 

Irvin was not only lucky he didn't kill him but of the times this happened. Imagine the blow back had he did this is todays league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I actually like the Raiders as a sleeper 10-6 team; Derek Carr has the talent to become a top 10 QB, some would argue that he got there a few seasons ago.

Carr with a revamped WR and OL unit can hang with a very talented AFCW, and they can be one of those surprise contenders for a #6 spot in the WC.

Raiders have improved, but their schedule is brutal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×