Goldfish's Slightly Too Early 2019 Season Predictions - All 32 up

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

...sounds like you're scared of the Bills.

Why the hell would I be afraid of Buffalo when NE has only lost to them like thrice since I was in elementary school? I'm just saying they suck.

Edited by Elky

57 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, based on what they did last year, no, they shouldn't be this high.  But if you're not speculating to some degree, you're just posting the same rankings from the end of the season last year, more or less.  Goldfish I guess is a Josh Allen believer.

I don't think you have to be, the Bills are an exceptionally well-coached team in a settled environment and played hard last year in games they were outmatched in. They've improved the roster where they were weakest and have a schedule with several winnable games on in and out of the division. 

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I agree with the Bills being in the middle of the pack. I think they've got what it takes to surprise a lot of people this year.

At most they're gonna be one of those teams that are bad, but can troll you if you let your guard down.

The Bills had a top ten defense last year, at times a top 5 defense - all while playing a bunch of rookies at cornerback and a raw raw 1. round pick at linebacker. In my opinion they only upgraded on that side of the ball and could be a very interesting team with some upside. New England got that division, but I see the Bills ahead of both the Jets and Dolphins.

15. Atlanta Falcons

Image result for matt ryan falcons 2019

What’s New in 2019:

Dirk Koetter resumes his old spot at Offensive Coordinator five years after a spell failing as the Buccs head coach. He’ll be tasked with improving a running game which couldn't get going last year. Free agency was pretty quiet with Adrian Clayborn returning from a stint with the Patriots and some big contracts were doled out on low-mid tier offensive line free agents Jamon Brown and James Carpenter. At least one of them might not play a lot because the Falcons also spent back to back 1st round picks there on Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary. The Falcons clearly went into the off-season believing it was do or die with their offensive line and that everything else would improve with better luck in the health department. 

Roster Strengths:

Wide Receiver – Julio Jones is still doing Julio Jones things, Calvin Ridley was quietly excellent in his rookie season and Mohamed Sanu is very respectable 2nd/3rd receiver

Quarterback – Matt Ryan continues to be somewhere in that top ten quarterbacks range and is coming off a slightly down year after career seasons in 2016 and 2017.

Elsewhere – Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones and Alex Mack are among the best in the NFL at their respective positions. Devonta Freeman and Ito Smith could be a very serviceable duo at running back if the former can stay healthy.

Roster Weaknesses:

Defensive Tackle – The Falcons seem happy to rotate through Deadrin Senat and Jack Crawford next to Grady Jarrett. Tyerler Davison comes over from the Saints and Ra’Shede Hageman re-joins the party, but all of these guys feel like rotational players rather than bona fide starting talent.

Cornerback – Desmond Trufant has been very up and down in his career to date and Atlanta will see what they have in 2nd year player Isiaiah Oliver who is slotted to play opposite. Damontae Kazee could get a run in the slot with Keanu Neal and Ricardo Allen expected to continue their partnership at safety.

Edge – Vic Beasley and Takk McKinley are two talented high draft picks who haven’t delivered on that expectation to date, but are likely to be continue to be the main source of pressure outside.

Breakout Player:

Ito Smith – He’s expected to step-up into Tevin Coleman’s spot this season without an obvious challenger to for that role. He played meaningful time last season in a tricky spot, but showed some elusiveness and an ability to catch the football. The removal of Sark and Atlanta’s investment in the offensive line lay a lot of the blame at their door for the failure of the run game last year and Ito could be a very important player for them in 2019, especially if Devonta Freeman cannot sustain a period of good health.

How they can win in 2019:

On offense, it would be good to see the rookies combining on the right side of that offensive line. That’s a potentially potent duo in the run-game, but McGary in particular has a fair few lumps to knock out of his game and most rookie offensive linemen see their fair share of knocks in year one. The passing game should continue to be very good, there’s too much talent for it not to be and Ryan's familiarity with the scheme should help. Koetter’s big challenge is to get the running game moving for this offense to truly flourish after they finished 27th in rushing yards under two years with Sark at the helm, if that can get going it unleashes the opportunities for the big passing plays he likes to generate. 

Injuries to key players really damaged Atlanta’s chances last season, the losses of Deion Jones and Keanu Neal were particularly painful for them. As not a lot of resources have been spent on the defense, those two in particular need a clean bill of health for get this side of the ball back to where it has been. The outside pass-rush needs to step-up, which means hoping for better play from the same personnel. Perhaps the light comes on for Takk McKinley in his third season, or Vic Beasley can get back on the track it looked like he was on. At the back-end, 2nd year player Isaiah Oliver becomes a very key component as he has to be ready to man down a spot on the outside after a red-shirt rookie season. 

Predicted record 2019:

8-8 – There are plenty of reasons to be hopeful for Atlanta to bounce back well from a lost season, but the reality is they are no better equipped to absorb key injuries a year on from the ones they suffered in 2018 and there are key questions at crucial roster spots which still need to be resolved. 

I have Atlanta winning the NFC South tbh.  Their defense carried the load in 2017 and was set to play a big part again before 2 season ending injuries in the first 3 weeks of the season to 2 of their most important coverage players.  Without it the secondary undoubtedly suffered

This prediction also depends on Freeman coming back healthy.  Without him playing his usual part, I’d take off a couple wins for them

• Like 1

6. Kansas City Chiefs

Image result for chiefs tyreek hill

What’s New in 2019:

Steve Spagnuolo was brought in to fix a defense which clearly held the team back from going all the way last year. It was an odd choice of replacement, given that Spag’s system inflexibility meant that were was an immediate personnel conflict. That led to an overhaul of the defensive front and the team brought in in Frank Clark, Alex Okafor and Emmanuel Ogbah to man the edges – a position which goes as Spag’s defenses have. Tyrann Mathieu comes into help out, presumably wherever he can. Frankly I’d be tempted to start him at corner and see how he goes. Carlos Hyde comes in to add depth at running back. 

Roster Strengths:

Quarterback – Patty Mahomes was not bad in his full NFL season was he? He's a special talent playing in the perfect situation under Andy Reid. 

Tight End – With Gronk retired, Kelce is the standout at the position and a constant threat to opposition defenses

Offensive Tackle – Eric Fisher has slowly morphed into a very competent starting left tackle and Mitchell Schwartz has consistently been one of the best operators in the league on the right side

Elsewhere – Chris Jones absolutely deserves a mention for how physical and disruptive he has been since his draft selection

Roster Weaknesses:

Interior Offensive Live – Right now the Chiefs are expected to field Cam Erving, who has been poor throughout his career at left guard and Austin Reiter, with one career NFL start under his belt at 26, is expected to fill in for the departed Mitch Morse at center

Linebacker – Reggie Ragland was awful last year, as was Anthony Hitchens who was brought in to shore the position up. The will be more space for them to operate in under the new defensive system, but I’m not sure that is great news for Ragland. It could be good news for Dorian O’Daniel and Darron Lee who could challenge them for starting spots.

Cornerback – Kendall Fuller should continue to deliver in the slot, but there’ll be a lot of pressure on current starting outside corners Bashaud Breeland and Charvarius Ward who wouldn’t top the depth charts on many other teams right now.

Breakout Player:

Damien Williams – A bit part player in Miami who carried the can down the stretch with some impressive performances, clocking up 362 yards and 5 touchdowns in his final five games. Eric Bieniemy has been unequivocal in stating that Williams is the team’s confirmed starter and any Chiefs back under Andy Reid’s watch has flourished.

How they can win in 2019:

Tyreek Hill’s phantom suspension is huge for the Chiefs because his ability to create explosive plays out of thin air hid a lot of holes on this team last year. They are a deep playoff team with him and Andy Reid is an offensive genius who will always put his teams in the best positions to win and there would be questions about whether those big plays can come as consistently without him. If new rookie deep threat Mecole Hardman can also hit the ground running and become an immediate speed threat on the outside, then this offense could be uber explosive. The offensive interior will need to play above its talent level too if they want to keep Mahomes upright. 

On defense, improved play at linebacker and in the secondary are absolutely essential if the team can’t be as explosive on offense. The defensive front looks powerful and it’ll be interesting to see how Chris Jones plays at a position which doesn’t seem like the easy fit he had in Sutton's scheme. If they can glue the front together, finding combinations behind them is crucial to what they can achieve this year. It's not great on paper at the back end and Spag doesn't have a long history of fielding great secondaries.  

Predicted record 2019:

11-5 - Hill's availability makes this team a difficult to match points with again in 2019, even with a difficult schedule to navigate which impacts their record prediction slightly. If Spag can field a middle of the pack defense, then few teams will be able to run with them. 

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I think the Tyreek Hill situation is going to derail them a little this year, I fully expect him to be suspended for most if not all of the season

Based off what? All of the recent news points to it being a very small suspension. He might not even get one.

Edited by Shake

9 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Interior Offensive Live – Right now the Chiefs are expected to field Cam Erving, who has been poor throughout his career at left guard and Austin Reiter, with one career NFL start under his belt at 26, is expected to fill in for the departed Mitch Morse at center

Reiter started 4 games for us already last year when Morse was injured.

Just now, Shake said:

Based off what? All of the recent news points to it being a very small suspension. He might not even get one.

Zeke got what?  4 games (or was it more?  Sorry, LBC's dipped into the single malt tonight) for an incident where no charges were filed.  It appears in Goodell's book you earn the benefit of the doubt if you come in with any sort of history.  Now, I don't think the Chiefs are going to go .500, but I do agree with him that Tyreke with his history is going to see some sort of time away from the game - be it time spent on the commissioner's exempt list or and out and out suspension.  The league's not going to mess around with perceived attachment of violence against children - and, unfortunately for Hill, he forfeited his benefit of the doubt with the track record he came into the league with.  I think 11 wins takes the AFC West this season and it's 50/50, maybe 60/40 Chiefs to Chargers right now depending on how the early season goes (Chargers will close out strong; don't doubt Philcember).

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Zeke got what?  4 games (or was it more?  Sorry, LBC's dipped into the single malt tonight) for an incident where no charges were filed.  It appears in Goodell's book you earn the benefit of the doubt if you come in with any sort of history.  Now, I don't think the Chiefs are going to go .500, but I do agree with him that Tyreke with his history is going to see some sort of time away from the game - be it time spent on the commissioner's exempt list or and out and out suspension.  The league's not going to mess around with perceived attachment of violence against children - and, unfortunately for Hill, he forfeited his benefit of the doubt with the track record he came into the league with.  I think 11 wins takes the AFC West this season and it's 50/50, maybe 60/40 Chiefs to Chargers right now depending on how the early season goes (Chargers will close out strong; don't doubt Philcember).

I would think if he was going to be put on the exempt list, it would've happened by now.