Goldfish's Slightly Too Early 2019 Season Predictions - All 32 up

goldfishwars

The Chiefs division is tougher than last year, and I believe Steve Spagnolos 1. year with a new defense is horrendous based on history, because players have to learn the scheme. The defense was bad enough last year.

Last year the Ravens where the better team against the Chiefs, but the trio of Mahomes, Kelce and an injuried Hill was still too much to handle. With those 3 the Chiefs are so explosive and can do so much, that I expect them to be in contention for a playoff berth again this year. I can understand the arguments made in the write up, but I believe the final record is a bit too conservative.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Zeke got what?  4 games (or was it more?  Sorry, LBC's dipped into the single malt tonight) for an incident where no charges were filed.  It appears in Goodell's book you earn the benefit of the doubt if you come in with any sort of history.  Now, I don't think the Chiefs are going to go .500, but I do agree with him that Tyreke with his history is going to see some sort of time away from the game - be it time spent on the commissioner's exempt list or and out and out suspension.  The league's not going to mess around with perceived attachment of violence against children - and, unfortunately for Hill, he forfeited his benefit of the doubt with the track record he came into the league with.  I think 11 wins takes the AFC West this season and it's 50/50, maybe 60/40 Chiefs to Chargers right now depending on how the early season goes (Chargers will close out strong; don't doubt Philcember).

The NFLPA won't stand for more than 6 games. He was cleared of all wrong doing by the justice system, and while what he said on the media edited *blackmail* tape is indeed a violation of league rules, it still doesn't warrant a harsh punishment. You also have to take into account that CBA talks are going on right now. Goodell isn't going to risk stirring up a hornets nest by handing out a year long suspension. Not at this time.

27 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

To be brutally honest, they have to hope Tyreek Hill’s suspension isn’t going to cost him a full season because his ability to create explosive plays out of thin air hid a lot of holes on this team last year. They are a deep playoff team with him and Andy Reid is an offensive genius who will always put his teams in the best positions to win, but there are questions about whether those big plays can come as consistently without him. If they are, then the likes of new rookie deep threat Mecole Hardman has to hit the ground running and become an immediate speed threat on the outside. The offensive interior needs to play above its talent level too if they want to keep Mahomes upright. 

On defense, improved play at linebacker and in the secondary are absolutely essential if the team can’t be as explosive on offense. The defensive front looks powerful and it’ll be interesting to see how Chris Jones plays at a position which doesn’t seem like the easy fit he had in Sutton's scheme. If they can glue the front together, finding combinations behind them is crucial to what they can achieve this year. Spag doesn't have a long history of fielding great secondaries, but they have to be at least competitive to stay afloat on this side of the ball. 

Current predictions and rumors around Hill's suspension have been about 4 games. That's what the team is currently expecting, in any case.

We enter with the same offensive interior that started a chunk of last season. Erving started all last year. LDT and Wylie split RG due to injury, but both are penciled in there still this year. Reiter started whenever Morse was down. They kept him upright last year. They'll be fine again this year.

Not really sure what you mean in regards to Chris Jones.

I'm not particularly high on the Chiefs but I don't think they go 8-8. They went 9-7 with Alex Smith and complete nobodies for WR's in 2014.

Granted they had a much better and more talented defense back then as well, but I think the Chiefs are good for at least 9 wins.

I see them winning anywhere from 9-11 games. I'll say they go 10-6. It's pretty 50/50 between them and the Chargers to win the division. 

11 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Current predictions and rumors around Hill's suspension have been about 4 games. That's what the team is currently expecting, in any case.

We enter with the same offensive interior that started a chunk of last season. Erving started all last year. LDT and Wylie split RG due to injury, but both are penciled in there still this year. Reiter started whenever Morse was down. They kept him upright last year. They'll be fine again this year.

It will definitely be 4 games or less. There's simply nothing there to warrant more.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Maybe I’m behind the news curve on the with Hill’s suspension, if it’s four games then that’s huge for the Chiefs. Last time I checked in it was looking like a season long deal. I’d be pretty amazed if it is as lenient as that considering his history when he came into the league, but that’s a side point. Cam Erving was bad last year right? I mean he was in the few games I watched and PFF have him graded really poorly. I’m just surprised they haven’t looked to upgrade those spots, but it seemed like the scheme change on defense absorbed a lot of their off-season personnel focus.  

When I think of Spag’s 4-3 Under, I just don’t picture someone built like Chris Jones manning that three-tech spot. But, he’s absolutely good enough to thrive there. 

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

14. Kansas City Chiefs

Breakout Player:

Damien Williams – A bit part player in Miami who carried the can down the stretch with some impressive performances, clocking up 362 yards and 5 touchdowns in his final five games. Eric Bieniemy has been unequivocal in stating that Williams is the team’s confirmed starter and any Chiefs back under Andy Reid’s watch has flourished.

Isn't that wild? Williams was nothing but an afterthought in Miami after they drafted him in 2014, never could get much traction there. And now both you and ESPN are picking Damien Williams as breakout player in 2019. He can catch the ball, seems like a great RB fit for KC. 

Don't see KC falling into a downward spiral of 8-8 though, Mahomes is too good for that. 

37 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Isn't that wild? Williams was nothing but an afterthought in Miami after they drafted him in 2014, never could get much traction there. And now both you and ESPN are picking Damien Williams as breakout player in 2019. He can catch the ball, seems like a great RB fit for KC. 

Don't see KC falling into a downward spiral of 8-8 though, Mahomes is too good for that. 

The Dolphins really have been a weird team when it comes to maximizing players talents or use them correctly. Especially the coaching staffs priorities at the runningback position has been weird and stupid.

4 minutes ago, Danand said:

The Dolphins really have been a weird team when it comes to maximizing players talents or use them correctly. Especially the coaching staffs priorities at the runningback position has been weird and stupid.

I meant that Williams wasn't good enough...the dude Kenyon Drake that stole Williams' job has double the rushing yards as Williams who has a career rushing total of (gasp) 733 yards in 5 seasons. 

Carlos Hyde is gonna steal yards in KC this year too, he's not washed up yet. KC has Mahomes though, defenses worry about him so much it's a great fit for a no-name RB like Williams to sneakily add up some good stats. It's almost as if Bieniemy is a RB Whisperer...

5 hours ago, Shake said:

It will definitely be 4 games or less. There's simply nothing there to warrant more.

Tom Brady was suspended for four games for allegedly having balls deflated so subtly that they were undetectable by officials who literally touch them after every play. There is absolutely no rhyme and reason when it comes to NFL suspensions. Hill could be suspended anywhere from 0 games to Pac-Man levels. His history doesn’t help. If Hill misses the entire season it’s entirely possible the Chiefs go 8-8 playing the horrendous schedule they have. I would still expect 10 wins from them because Andy Reid will still have Kelce to open things up for other players but it’s possible. The defense was not as bad as advertised last year. They allowed points yea, but a lot of that was due to the offense putting up so many points that the defense was in the old prevent. You can see the number of turnovers they got despite giving up all those points. Playing with a large lead will skew both those stats. 

• Like 1

I disagree whole-heatedly on the Chiefs. If that team was still manned by Alex Smith, you'd have a point. But I think Mahomes is good enough to still keep that offense near the top of the list with Kelce and Watkins as his top targets.

• Like 1

Definitely a surprise to see KC so low. Yes, potentially losing Hill for some time will definitely hurt them, and their defense is still very questionable. But I think their offense is good enough to win them at least 10 games, barring a ton of injuries to key players.

I won't be surprised if they win their division again, but I think they're a WC team at the very least.

• Like 1

Lol. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The Chiefs are about to field a powerhouse this season. They will be a juggernaut.

Hill is obviously an important player for the offense but this offense even without him all season is still absolutely an elite offense. 

The defense is harder to figure out but right now it looks like an average unit on paper. They have a real strong and deep Dline, probably below-average LBs, probably good safeties and a CB group who certainly looks not so good right now but which could be decent really, especially as a trade is coming up to bring in a new CB.

8-8 is a laughably bad take as far as I am concerned.  

The absolute floor is probably 10 wins. But this Chiefs team could win 13-14 wins even with the hard schedule. They are that good.

There is a reason they are 2nd to the Pats for Superbowl odds and heavy favorites to win the AFC West (taking into account Hill's upcoming suspension). It is absolutely justified IMO.

We will see.