The 2014 Draft - How Did You Do?

Ragnarok

I remember being super high on Aaron Donald (right), Jake Matthews (kinda right), Anthony Barr (meh, never saw him as a 3-4 OLB which was his best position I thought), RaShede Hageman (ooops), Kyle Fuller (right), Ryan Shazier (kinda right), Kyle Van Noy (meh), Timmy Jernigan (meh), Stanley Jean-Baptiste (wrong), Pierre Desir (I think this was this draft class?), EJ Gaines (kinda wrong) and Derek Carr (kind right).

I remember being super low on Gilbert (right), Manziel (right), Bortles (right), Lewan (wrong), Roby (kinda right), Sankey (right), James (kinda wrong), Dee Ford (kinda wrong).

Like always, some hits and misses. I didn't watch the receivers much so I didn't have an educated option on those guys.

I'll take a swing at the Texans draft:

1-1 Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina -- Very good player who thinks he's elite. Dominates over stretches and then fades out of notice. Solid result, but underwhelming for a first overall.
2-33 Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA -- Bust. Given every chance to succeed, always performed around the bottom of NFL OGs, let go after rookie contract. Embarrassing waste of a valuable pick.
3-65 CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa -- Joined an already crowded TE roster, played inconsistently, retired early due to multiple concussions. Semi-bust.
3-83 Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame -- Loved the pick during the draft, but Nix busted out hard. Was he ever even on the roster past camp? Just terrible.
4-135 Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh -- Good backup, didn't have what it took to start. A fine result for a late 4th QB.
6-177 Jeoffrey Pagan, DE, Alabama -- Marginal roster player, but what do you expect for a 6th round DE?
6-181 Alfred Blue, RB, LSU -- Stuck on the roster, possibly due to ST play? He's always been JAG at RB, at best. Fine for a 6th rounder.
6-211 Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn -- He's consistently made the roster, though it makes little sense because FB is a nearly extinct NFL position and he's not a versatile receiver type.
7-216 Andre Hal, CB, Vanderbilt -- The gem of this draft. Converted to safety and played quality time as a starter. Greatly outperformed his draft slot.
7-256 Lonnie Ballentine, FS, Memphis -- Marginal roster player, but a better result than many Mr. Irrelevants that never make the team.

Clowney turned out more or less exactly as I expected, though it looked grim at first when he injured his knee on our since-replaced crappy playing surface.

If you look at the round 2 & 3 results, they're absolutely prototypical for Rick Smith drafts, which is why avid fans despised his drafting. He actually did better than normal on day 3 picks in 2014 though, so kudos for that.

Edited by Texans02