Change practice squad rules?

Mr. Fussnputz

10 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

American Football has always had great support in Germany, which is why (back in the day) they had three teams in NFL Europe, compared to just one in most countries (one in England, one in Scotland, one in Spain, one in Holland). I'm kind of surprised that the NFL doesn't currently have a game in Germany, like the ones held in London. Still, there comes a point where teams just don't want to travel the huge travel distances across the Atlantic.

Also I looked up that Eton Wall game lol. 

As a fan, I'd advocate for :

* increase rosters to 55
* increase game - day actives to 50
* keep the PS rules the same

You'd then have 32 more players on the full payroll and getting full development
I don't think you'd be able to get much more than that from the owners / NFLPA
Adding 2 more / team on the full roster probably covers the majority of "NFL- caliber" players.
You'd still get coaching and player development for the 10 players on the PS, as it is now

Very few of the guys in XFL, CFL, AAF, etc are worthy of a roster spot and creating a D-league is something the owners balked at for a long time
Not sure why, maybe they're protecting The Shield and the cash flow; they don't want fans/networks falling in love with lower- cost football.

8 hours ago, Norm said:

There was a German poster on another site that would constantly swear 

They are pretty vulgar.

7 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Never thought about that either! Giving a drafted player protected status on the PS would also have to mean protecting their draft slot salary. And no, they wouldn't be locked onto the PS. They could be called up any time. 

One question: If a protected player is called up during the season, could he be sent back to the PS and still be protected, or should he lose his protected status?

The way I was thinking was the player is no longer protected if he spends any time on the roster.  They can still be PS eligible like the current rules, but would be allowed to sign with anyone at anytime, like the current PS works.  I would make the protection only for draft picks, and only for one season, but that first season would be a fully guaranteed part of the contract.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They are pretty vulgar.

The way I was thinking was the player is no longer protected if he spends any time on the roster.  They can still be PS eligible like the current rules, but would be allowed to sign with anyone at anytime, like the current PS works.  I would make the protection only for draft picks, and only for one season, but that first season would be a fully guaranteed part of the contract.

By golly, I like it. It gives the team some security to invest a draft choice in a player who needs some time to develop. It gives the player some security on salary, and preserves his freedom to move to another team.