Season Expectations pt. 5: Michael Gallup

DaBoys

Season expectations for Michael Gallup?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Season expectations for Michael Gallup?

• Legitimate breakout year. Over 1,000 yards and over 7 TDs. With KM calling the shots, attention on Zeke and Amari, and Dak overhauling his footwork, I expect a huge year for Gallup.
    • About the same as he did last year. ~500 yards with 2 to 4 TDs. In this offense there are a lot of mouths to feed. He did well to do what he did his rookie campaign.
    • Sophomore slump. He won't fall off the map, but I expect a big year from Amari and Randall Cobb. They will eat up his targets. He'll get the occasional deep ball but he won't match his production from a year ago.

After a solid rookie season saw him finish 10th among rookie wide outs, what are you expecting this year? 

Michael Gallup, Dallas Cowboys

Gallup had more than three receptions in a game only twice all season (Weeks 13 and 14). He had more than 55 receiving yards twice. He had 50 or fewer receiving yards in 12 games. Overall, he wasn’t really a good fantasy option, but he was 10th among rookie wide receivers in terms of fantasy points. It is possible he makes the leap to fantasy relevance for 2019, but he won’t be climbing up draft boards.

— Written by Sarah Lewis, who is part of the Athlon Contributor network and lives, eats, and breathes fantasy football. Have a fantasy football question? Send it to her on Twitter @Sarah_Lewis32.

Gallup's splits post-Amari trade are interesting:

Weeks 1-7: 22 targets, 10 catches, 190 yards (3.1, 1.4, 27.1 per game), 1 TD

Weeks 9-19 (incl. playoffs): 61 targets, 31 catches, 454 yards (5.5, 2.8, 41.3 per game), 2 TDs

That's not insignificant. He went down a peg in the passing game, and get better for it. It's a little inflated by the Rams game, but is there something wrong with that? He went off on a playoff team, ended on a high note. He didn't hit any sort of rookie wall, that's for certain.

I'm not sure his yardage total goes up that much, as Moore seems more inclined to spread the ball around than Linehan, but I would be floored if his catch rate and TD total don't increase. Guy is good.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

It’s worth noting that Gallup scored from inside the 5 in 3 of his last 4 games- can’t forget his 2-point conversion against the Giants. Considering we won those games by 10 combined points, those plays were ****ing huge.

He’s not Dez, but he profiles as a much bigger threat on back-shoulder fades/in the red zone than Amari, IMO. They’re certainly an intriguing combo, in the sense that the #1 is more of a Z and the #2 is more of an X. That can throw off some defenses

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

That makes him sound terrible. 

Well.... It isn't great.

It's about on par with where he was drafted though considering he was the 9th WR off the board. Playing for the 23rd ranked passing team in the league didn't help either. As the other Matt pointed out, he was trending up as the season went along. Capped with a great playoff game against the Rams. Pre Amari was tough on everyone though.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Well.... It isn't great.

It's about on par with where he was drafted though considering he was the 9th WR off the board. Playing for the 23rd ranked passing team in the league didn't help either. As the other Matt pointed out, he was trending up as the season went along. Capped with a great playoff game against the Rams. Pre Amari was tough on everyone though.

True

I see him with about the same outcome as last year with a few more tds.

I believe Witten and Cobb will eat up a lot of targets along with Amari getting his.

Add in the running game and Pollard supposedly getting touches, I just dont see enough balls going around.

23 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I really dont like the options you give. 

Where is the "slight improvement"/okay #2 option? I expect ~700 yards, ~6 TDs. 

This about where I see him. Between 600-900 yards, 6-8 TDs. About average production for a #2 receiver.