Mandela effect in the NFL

Elky

more weird stuff about 2008:

-Donovan McNabb went to his 5th NFCCG that year

-The Vikings made the playoffs whilst being quarterbacked by Gus Frerotte and Tarvaris Jackson

-Chad Pennington started all 16 games for Miami and they won the division

-The Cardinals almost won the Super Bowl after a 9-7 regular season with a +1 point differential in which they went 2-4 over their last 6 games.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, pwny said:

Yes. A false memory. Not a false fact that they were told and now believe to be true, but a memory that never happened that they recall having happened. We were all told these things about spygate and deflategate - ergo it's not a false memory, ergo it doesn't belong in this thread.

Link where it specifies that the Mandella Effect is ONLY something that happens without outside factors.

You are adding conditions to the term that do not exist.

If you think Richard Jewell was the Atlanta bomber its because your imperfect memory of the actual events is tricking you.

15 hours ago, Starless said:

more weird stuff about 2008:

-Donovan McNabb went to his 5th NFCCG that year

-The Vikings made the playoffs whilst being quarterbacked by Gus Frerotte and Tarvaris Jackson

-Chad Pennington started all 16 games for Miami and they won the division

-The Cardinals almost won the Super Bowl after a 9-7 regular season with a +1 point differential in which they went 2-4 over their last 6 games.

Those Cardinals played all 4 playoff games against a team with a better record. 

• They went 6-0 against their terrible division and 3-7 in their other 10 games.
  • They were outscored by 96 points in their last 4 non-division games.
  • The AFC West was 10-30 against the rest of the NFL and were given a pair of home playoff games for it
  • The road playoff game was the Jake Delhomme 6 turnover special.

The Steelers team that won the Super Bowl was abysmal on offense

• 20/22 in points / yards
  • 19th in ANY/A (net yards per pass play)
  • 29th in rushing yards per carry
  • 23rd in rushing yards per game

I was amazed that Ben survived the Eagles game that year. (linked below)

He took that jalopy offense with that mess of an O-line down the field 78 yards with 2:30 left to play in the Super Bowl.

• He gave them a quick speech before that drive about how 'everyone will be right about you if we don't score here' (paraphrase)
  • I think that ranks up there with Joe Cool and the John Candy comments to Harris Barton in the 1988 Super Bowl.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Link where it specifies that the Mandella Effect is ONLY something that happens without outside factors.

You are adding conditions to the term that do not exist.

If you think Richard Jewell was the Atlanta bomber its because your imperfect memory of the actual events is tricking you.

I’m not adding any conditions. I’m literally telling you what a false memory is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory

Read through there. Show me through any part of it where it implies that being told a lie and believing it is what they’re discussing. You won’t, because it has nothing to do with anything we’re talking about. We’re talking about how people can experience a reality, but remember it differently than they experienced. That’s what a false memory is. The false memory can be altered by outside factors; if I tell you I experienced a slightly different version than you did, you might incorporate that into your memory, but that’s the extent of it. But if I lie to you about something you never saw, and you believe me, that has literally nothing to do with this. 

• Like 2

Children go to counselors who give them false memories of abuse by lies and manipulation (it was a big thing in the 80s and 90s with the D&D Satan worship, etc and for divorce cases)

How is the media giving you a false memory different than a person giving you a false memory.

Is Chris '11of12' Mortensen not a person?

Your take on having to see something is irrelevant. I did not see the Immaculate reception. The media showed it to me on television in replays.

I never saw Jerry Rice play a game in person.

Most Americans have never met Nelson Mandela.

Your limitation on false memories is false.

Edited by SkippyX

9 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Children go to counselors who give them false memories of abuse by lies and manipulation (it was a big thing in the 80s and 90s with the D&D Satan worship, etc and for divorce cases)

How is the media giving you a false memory different than a person giving you a false memory.

Is Chris '11of12' Mortensen not a person?

Your take on having to see something is irrelevant. I did not see the Immaculate reception. The media showed it to me on television in replays.

I'll try, a memory is your experience.  A false memory is something you incorrectly believe you experienced.  If the media convinced you that you witnessed spygate, that would be a false memory.  Simply believing that spygate happened (it did) or that it effected outcome of games (up for debate) is not the same as believing you saw the Patriots taping walkthrus.  Again, people believe the earth is flat, or that we never landed on the moon.  Those are not false memories.  They are factually incorrect beliefs.  

27 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'll try, a memory is your experience.  A false memory is something you incorrectly believe you experienced.  If the media convinced you that you witnessed spygate, that would be a false memory.  Simply believing that spygate happened (it did) or that it effected outcome of games (up for debate) is not the same as believing you saw the Patriots taping walkthrus.  Again, people believe the earth is flat, or that we never landed on the moon.  Those are not false memories.  They are factually incorrect beliefs.  

Not if you were told a lie and then later told the truth even from the liars but your sum total of who you are and how you processed that information made you hold onto the lie you knew was a lie to the point where it is now your truth. Anyone who frequents a football message board is fully aware of the retractions to the initial lies.

Something like the German people thinking France started WWI would be different because they were ONLY told the lie.

• They did not have the internet or Twiter or even objective press to inform them

Your brain deciding to lie to you about walkthroughs AFTER you knew they did not happen is Mandela Effect.

• Depending on the level of your fanaticism it could be willfully self-inflicted.
  • Your brain is pretending there were walkthroughs that were taped. End of Story
    • Marshall Faulk is your King

The media isn't giving you a false memory. It's literally not a false memory. Nothing you're saying fits any kind of definition of false memory. A false memory is a distortion of memory, not a distortion of fact.

If I tell you something false and you believe it, that's just a lie. If I tell you something false and it changes the perception of something you experienced, that's a false memory.

So you literally saw it in replays.

You've never seen him play? Never saw a replay? Really?

Meeting him is completely irrelevant to having a memory involving him. You've heard of him. You have memories of your experiences of hearing, reading, watching clips of him.

Show me literally any source that includes your types of examples as an example of false memory. Literally any source. I'll wait.

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Not if you were told a lie and then later told the truth even from the liars but your sum total of who you are and how you processed that information made you hold onto the lie you knew was a lie to the point where it is now your truth. Anyone who frequents a football message board is fully aware of the retractions to the initial lies.

Something like the German people thinking France started WWI would be different because they were ONLY told the lie.

• They did not have the internet or Twiter or even objective press to inform them

Your brain deciding to lie to you about walkthroughs AFTER you knew they did not happen is Mandela Effect.

• Depending on the level of your fanaticism it could be willfully self-inflicted.
  • Your brain is pretending there were walkthroughs that were taped. End of Story
    • Marshall Faulk is your King

You're just never going to get the difference between memory and belief.  I believe we landed on the moon in 1969. I am not old enough to have experienced us landing on the moon therefore I do not have a memory of it.  I believe there was some form of conspiracy in the Kennedy Assassination, again, I dont have a memory of it, bc I was not alive.  I do have memories of 2001 bc I was 21 then, I did not see the first tower fall bc I was working.  If I remembered seeing the first tower fall (I've seen it numerous times since) that would be a false memory.  I did however see the 2nd tower fall, and also tower 7. Those are my memories.  

Like, a non-football related Mandela Effect for me is remembering "Chick-Fil-A" being spelled "Chic-Fil-A", but that was never ever the case.

BccjZmP.jpg?1

Or like the line in Forrest Gump being "Life WAS like a box of chocolates" but I remember it being "Life IS life a box of chocolates"

Edited by Fl0nkerton
  • Like 2