Hicks Breaking Himself Down

dll2000

Good stuff.  I wish he wouldnt give away his secrets.

Not talking about the techiques which are known, but tells on specific guys.  If you know a guy has a tell, you dont really want to make him aware of it so he can fix it. 

Really interesting how he is so freaking big and strong he can play the game without leverage or low pad level, relying on excellent hand fighting techniques to defeat blocks.  Contrast with Aaron Donald who fires out low, out leverages and just blows you up and then escapes. 

Hicks beats blocks without inside hand placement.  That is strong.  

• Like 2

He should watch, who was that big nose guard for Patriots, probably a hall of famer?

hold on 

Wilfork. 

Wilfork mastered the forklift, where he got underneath both OL elbows and just lifted them straight up and his body came with them. It was so cool and he was so good at it. 

Being a DL is easiest job in football schematically, you have to cover 1 gap or sometimes two gaps. Once in a blue moon you will drop in coverage and do nothing.

But they have one of hardest jobs technique wise.  They have to be true masters of their craft to succeed in long term.  Like being a competitive martial artist, boxer or a wrestler.  

You go back and watch first hard knocks with Ravens and Siragusa is bored out of his mind at meetings and he should be.  Scheme takes less than 2 seconds to learn even for a rookie d linemen. Its all technique and offensive tells like Hicks was pointing out. Readon Nichols did so well and Nichols has said so, is Hicks personally took him under his wing and forced him to eatch film with him.  

A smart coach would break those guys off and work on mostly that stuff during indoor schematic meetings. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

One of the best breakdown videos ever.  Great thread brother!

Hicks comes off as knowledgeable and confident but never cocky.  His size and natural strength are his best weapons and he knows how to pair that with recognition and great technique.  Great attitude and leadership as well.

He reminds me a of an even bigger version of Reggie White who could also dominate OL like that in his day.  I only hope he can stay healthy and play as long as Reggie did.  He's a huge reason why our defense is as good as it is.

• Like 1

This popped up on my recommended videos on YouTube last night, loved it. Hicks is awesome, we've known that for three years now and it's great to see him getting the recognition he deserves nationally now. I could listen to him all day too, his interviews are always the ones I look forward to, speaks with such passion, charisma and knowledge.

Gonna have to find a few more of these videos from Baldy too.

• Like 2