Robbie Gould Update; The Stalemate Continues

soulman

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Gould signed his deal today

Two years for $10.5 mil guaranteed is what I read and an option for two more to total $19 mil with $15 mil guaranteed.

In all honesty I'm not sure of where Pace could have come up with the cap space to sign him anyway.

8 hours ago, soulman said:

Piniero/Fry or bust?

Not bust.  

They have to be good early to stick around.  Lots of crazy pressure on them given situation.  Easy to make 4 foot puts, hard to do it with a million dollars on the line.  

I think if Bears knee jerk and bring in some 50 year old kicker they will regret it in long run of season and when weather turns.

I say you ride out the big leg and stop making such a big deal of every kick.  But that won't happen.  

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Thank God we can put this was-never-gonna-happen scenario behind us and get back toward (hopefully) finding the next Robbie Gould. 

Reporters gotta be kinda pissed - this was a ready made story for them for a long time. 

But... we can still trade for him... now we can really focus on THAT conversation

tenor.gif?itemid=5786380

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I say you ride out the big leg and stop making such a big deal of every kick.  But that won't happen.  

I’d go that route too. I also agree wholeheartedly that the microanalysis of every kick is going to continue until the end of time and that that isn’t a good thing. I understand completely what Nagy is doing putting the candidates under as much pressure as he can. I also think they're setting unrealistic expectations for the fans that they should expect elite level kicking at all times which creates even more undue and frankly unfair pressure.

Assuming either Fry or Elliott wins the job we are talking about a rookie who’s probably going to get booed off the field every single time he falters. Whoever the kicker is, he’s going to miss at some point and that’s okay. The most accurate FG kicker in league history (Tucker) misses 1 out of every 10, and the next best (Gould) misses 1 out of every 8. Those are the two best ever. In a hundred years. It’s an inexact position with expectations for basically perfection in Chicago.

Here’s a stat for you - even after last season, Cody Parkey remains among the top 30 most accurate FG kickers in NFL history. THAT Cody Parkey. I want these kids to be pushed but at the same time I also think at some point Nagy should bring expectations back to reality too. If you can get a guy who makes 5 out of every 6 kicks overall and who can come through in pressure spots too then that’s a pretty damn solid kicker. Anything more than that is and should be seen as a cherry on top. 5 of every 6 is Phil Dawson, who’s been kicking for 20 years. That’s Greg Zuerlein. Matt Prater. Recently historically that’s Josh Brown. Dan Carpenter. Matt Stover. Ryan Longwell. That’s the standard we should expect IMO. Give me Phil Dawson level of production from our kicking position over the long haul and I’m gonna be just fine with it. Hell Vinatieri is just slightly above that at 84.3% and he’s almost surely going to the HOF.

• Like 1

Personally, I'm not gonna be happy with just a "Top 30" PK.

Admittedly Soldier Field is one of the more difficult venues to kick in.  But if you apply for the job here you know that going in.  And if you get it then your *** better be out there each week for as long as it takes to get it right.  Parkey never even scheduled practicing there until he'd already blown several kicks he should have easily made.

Stats don't lie.  Here or anywhere he was often a disaster on any kick of 40 yards or more.  Whether that was mental or physical I don't know but he plain and simple wasn't good enough to be trusted with a game on the line because he blew kicks in three that were game winners.

If between PAT and FG we don't have a guy capable of nailing 88%-90% of his kicks we need to keep looking.

Edited by soulman

Admittedly Soldier Field is one of the more difficult venues to kick in.  But if you apply for the job here you know that going in.  And if you get it then your *** better be out there each week for as long as it takes to get it right.  Parkey never even scheduled practicing there until he'd already blown several kicks he should have easily made.

Stats don't lie.  Here or anywhere he was often a disaster on any kick of 40 yards or more.  Whether that was mental or physical I don't know but he plain and simple wasn't good enough to be trusted with a game on the line because he blew kicks in three that were game winners.

If between PAT and FG we don't have a guy capable of nailing 88%-90% of his kicks we need to keep looking.

Top 30 of all time, not just top 30 in 2019. Significant difference there. Also, the number I posted was just FG percentage. Those guys for all-inclusive kicks are in the range you mention. 

• Like 1

A guy capable of hitting 88-90% of his kicks consistently would be the best in the history of the game.  When he says top 30, he is referring to all time.  Kicking is a fickle thing.  I understand exactly what he is saying.  It has become a situation where anything less than perfection is unacceptable.  Perfection is always unobtainable.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

A guy capable of hitting 88-90% of his kicks consistently would be the best in the history of the game.  When he says top 30, he is referring to all time.  Kicking is a fickle thing.  I understand exactly what he is saying.  It has become a situation where anything less than perfection is unacceptable.  Perfection is always unobtainable.  

UNLESS YOU ARE MATT NAGY! 

(Apologies for the tangent but 😮)

9 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I think that is main problem with this being such a huge story.  

Nobody is going to kick close to 90% much less 100%. 

Yet every reporter and therefore every idiot fan is waiting to panic at first inevitable miss. 

Also I was pissed about Parkey not practicing at Soldier Field too, but I don't know if that is on Nagy who wanted him at Halas with team or Parkey. I think Nagy wanted him with team at Halas.  I know if it was me I would have insisted on it.  I would be out there at least 4x a week kicking as many balls as I could without risking injury from every spot. 

I think Parkey was awful last year, but I think he was really good in Philly game.  He was 3-3 and 4th Kick was blocked and it still came within inches of going in.  They did a perfect freeze timeout.  For him to be scapegoat of playoff loss is wrong. 

We couldn't run the ball.  Howard was 10 for 35 and Cohen was 1-0. Robinson and Trubisky were the offense for most part.

Philly scoring drive was helped by three penalties.  But you can't blame defense, you should be able to score at least 20 in a modern NFL game. 

Burton getting hurt after week of practice was nuts and probably single biggest factor.  Jackson not playing was also pretty huge.  Who knows what he would have done in that game if healthy.