Sign in to follow this  
minutemancl

Bobby Hart

So when I went back and watched the third preseason game against the Jets, i noticed Bobby Hart looked really good. Like, really really good, and he was matched up against Muhammed Wilkerson almost every play. This prompted me to go back and watch the first 2 preseason games and see if it was an outlier type of performance, but it wasn't. Hart has quietly put together a really positive preseason. Most notable is how good his feet look. For someone who was drafted as a guard, he has put in a lot of work to get to where he is now.

For all the talk about how bad the Giants OL is, we know Richburg and Pugh are good starters. We know Jerry is serviceable (the one play I really had a problem with of his, the pressure he allowed in the jets game that led to the interception, wasn't really his fault. He got stepped on by Richburg and was essentially table-topped. Can't really fault him for that). If Hart can come out this year and prove to be a good RT, our line has 1 weak link, and Flowers is really only a detriment in pass protection. We may be underestimating how well our OL is going to be this season. 

It seems Jerry took a step back and Hart has improved. Although Richburg took a slight step back last season. The OL will probably decide our season. They just need to be average for us...

Its nice to get confirmation on what you saw through your own observations. Bobby Hart had a great preseason

On 9/2/2017 at 2:59 PM, minutemancl said:

So when I went back and watched the third preseason game against the Jets, i noticed Bobby Hart looked really good. Like, really really good, and he was matched up against Muhammed Wilkerson almost every play. This prompted me to go back and watch the first 2 preseason games and see if it was an outlier type of performance, but it wasn't. Hart has quietly put together a really positive preseason. Most notable is how good his feet look. For someone who was drafted as a guard, he has put in a lot of work to get to where he is now.

For all the talk about how bad the Giants OL is, we know Richburg and Pugh are good starters. We know Jerry is serviceable (the one play I really had a problem with of his, the pressure he allowed in the jets game that led to the interception, wasn't really his fault. He got stepped on by Richburg and was essentially table-topped. Can't really fault him for that). If Hart can come out this year and prove to be a good RT, our line has 1 weak link, and Flowers is really only a detriment in pass protection. We may be underestimating how well our OL is going to be this season. 

People will quickly realize that most of our running issues were Rashad Jennings being old and slow.  It didn't make sense to have several guys rate so positively in run blocking but be last in the league in yards per game.

19 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

People will quickly realize that most of our running issues were Rashad Jennings being old and slow.  It didn't make sense to have several guys rate so positively in run blocking but be last in the league in yards per game.

I have about 3 full written pages of notes on our running game last year after watching back about 6-8 specific games. I just havent gotten around to making a full write up. Considering it looks like i wont have time for a full write up before the season starts, i might just type out the notes and post it here to get it on the internet before the season starts. 

What it boils down to is Perkins's jump cut ability and vision are so far superior to Jennings's that Jennings missed so many open cutback lanes that he left so many yards on the field. I have specific play examples and breakdowns. It is no coincidence that we had our first 100 yard rusher when Perkins finally got the start.