Jump to content
DaBoys

Season Expectations pt. 6: Trysten Hill

Season expectations for Tryston Hill?  

15 members have voted

  1. 1. Season expectations for Tryston Hill?

    • Legitimate DRotY Candidate. 45+ tackles and 9+ sacks
    • Solid rookie season but nothing to write home about. We have Collins, Woods, Covington, and Crawford so him just finding his spot in the rotation is going to be hard enough. But I expect him to do just that, and shine when he does get his chance. ~25 tackles and 3-6 sacks
    • Lost in the depth chart. < 20 tackles and < 3 sacks


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

A DT has won the Defensive Rookie of the Year award more than any other position this decade. Suh in 2010, Sheldon Richardson in 2013, and Donald in 2014.They were all high picks and had clout upon entering the league. Something Hill doesn't quite have. It helps he plays for Dallas and it helps that he was the first pick. But it doesn't help that he is a late round 2/early round 3 guy. Hill will be hard pressed to replicate the success on the field as well.

Donald: 48 tak 9 sk

Richardson: 78 tak 3.5 sk

Suh: 66 tak 10 sk

 

I don't even think the team expects that from him. Something like 45 tackles and 5 sacks would be a win for Hill. Didn't Maliek Collins have 5 sacks his rookie year with Rod? Yes... he did.

What do you expect from the more talented Hill?

 

 

 

 

Edited by DaBoys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thrilled we took a DT early on. Its about time. But being realistic, this team doesn't know how to utilize the position to its full strength. They seem very content with focusing on the edge and just clogging the middle rather than push the pocket and force the QB to one side or the other where the edge rushers are waiting.

I don't know, I want to say better than what I voted, but I see him getting lost in the wash. Optimistically speaking, if he has half the season LVE had last year as a rookie, albeit a different position, I would be overjoyed.

In short, I think his success or failure is going to hinge on how Rod uses him and the defense line as a whole. So far, I haven't seen a lot from this position in Rod's time here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's more likely that we see him make an impact in two or three seasons once he has a chance to move up the depth chart. Hill was raw in college, but had the explosiveness and play style that Rod loves. Give him a year to learn under Rod and then we'll start seeing production methinks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would be floored if he hit 300 snaps tbh. I think it's a bad, bad sign if we end up seriously relying on him this year.

I mean, if everyone is healthy/not suspended, he's not one of the 8 best DLs on the team, maybe not even one of the 10.

Edited by matt79511

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 sacks from a dt is a great season.  If he gets 2-4 that would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine he gets somewhere in the realm of 2-4 to start off his rookie year. Don't think we see his true potential for another season or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

My only expectation is better spelling of his name. 

A bit ambitious. This isn't a bold predictions thread.

 

 

Edit

I'll fix the tittle but I'm leaving the other misspellings.

Edited by DaBoys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

6 sacks from a dt is a great season.  If he gets 2-4 that would be awesome.

Maliek Collins had 5 sacks as a rookie. And Woods won his job last year in camp. No reason to think Hill couldn't earn a starting job and hit 6+ sacks.

Edited by DaBoys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Maliek Collins had 5 sacks as a rookie. And Woods won his job last year in camp. No reason to think Hill couldn't earn a starting job and hit 6+ sacks.

Collins led our abysmal 2016 DL in snaps, I believe. This group is way, way more talented. Hill’s not “earning” a starting job without multiple injuries.

Crawford and Irving, who were both in the ~200 snap range as rookies, combined for 0.5 sacks in those years. That’s a more realistic outlook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Collins led our abysmal 2016 DL in snaps, I believe. This group is way, way more talented. Hill’s not “earning” a starting job without multiple injuries.

Crawford and Irving, who were both in the ~200 snap range as rookies, combined for 0.5 sacks in those years. That’s a more realistic outlook

I think we have more talent on the edge than we do inside.

Woods earned his job last year in camp, after signing as a nobody in FA, and didn't finish the season. Guys talk about him like he is a $9m a year vet already penciled in as a starter. Collins hasn't been able to stay healthy. David Irving is wake-n-baking right now, it's almost noon. Covington has played exactly zero snaps for Marinelli. Crawford may get pushed inside but I haven't seen it yet, and he has injury issues as well.

 

 

Where is this talent on the inside that will smother Hill? There isn't any. That's why we spent our first pick on a DT. 

 

 

Couple that with the teams affinity to start/covet draft picks(especially first picks) and I could see Hill as a day 1 starter if he has a great camp. Barring injury, I think he will.

Edited by DaBoys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I think we have more talent on the edge than we do inside.

Woods earned his job last year in camp, after signing as a nobody in FA, and didn't finish the season. Guys talk about him like he is a $9m a year vet already penciled in as a starter. Collins hasn't been able to stay healthy. David Irving is wake-n-baking right now, it's almost noon. Covington has played exactly zero snaps for Marinelli. Crawford may get pushed inside but I haven't seen it yet, and he has injury issues as well.

 

 

Where is this talent on the inside that will smother Hill? There isn't any. That's why we spent our first pick on a DT. 

 

 

Couple that with the teams affinity to start/covet draft picks(especially first picks) and I could see Hill as a day 1 starter if he has a great camp. Barring injury, I think he will.

I would have Hill definitively behind Collins, Woods, and Covington, and Crawford of course if our edge talent permits him to play inside more. NFL experience/offseasons in the weight room at this position matters.

Dude didn’t even start in college, come on man, he’s raw as hell. DT is not really a position where you come into the league as a 21-year-old and start tearing it up against grown-*** men. There’s only one Aaron Donald. Hill is just not there

To the bolded: If we didn't think Collins/Woods/etc were a viable bunch for this year, we probably would've gone after Suh or McCoy on 1-year deal, no? Hill literally just turned 21, he was a semi-reach at the 58th selection, he's not a pick for 2019. He's a pick for next year when Collins, Covington, and, maybe, finally, Crawford will be gone

Edited by matt79511

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

To the bolded: If we didn't think Collins/Woods/etc were a viable bunch for this year, we probably would've gone after Suh or McCoy on 1-year deal, no? 

No. I really don't think this team would. This year, or last year. Not this team. Not a DT. Not having a viable option has never bothered them before. Certainly not enough to overpay veteran FAs. Thank goodness. No matter how much I want them to. It's the smart play to reach on a guy like Hill.

 

 

Edited by DaBoys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DaBoys said:

No. I really don't think this team would. This year, or last year. Not this team. Not a DT. Not having a viable option has never bothered them before. Certainly not enough to overpay veteran FAs. Thank goodness. No matter how much I want them to. It's the smart play to reach on a guy like Hill.

 

 

I’m not saying it was a bad pick. Just, realistically speaking, we’ve got a much better chance at seeing the DT version of rookie Connor Williams this year than the DT version of rookie Leighton Vander Esch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I’m not saying it was a bad pick. Just, realistically speaking, we’ve got a much better chance at seeing the DT version of rookie Connor Williams this year than the DT version of rookie Leighton Vander Esch

Marinelli gets the most out of everyone. I really like his tape. Definitely limited reps tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×