Who was the Greatest Position Change in NFL History?

Nabbs4u

Looking for other examples of players who changed positions while "in the NFL" to go on to HOF type careers. Especially those Undrafted like Peters.

In 2004 Jason Peter's was an UDRFA TE signed by the Buffalo Bills. He was placed on the PS for 1/2 the season then activated and utilized on Goal line packages and on ST. Yes a 320lb TE on kick coverage.  There was a 1-1 drill late in the season OL/DL where he was asked to participate in out of sheer curiosity. A drill he never practiced once but was still able to Dominated every DL who lined up across from him apparently. Story by Ross Tucker below. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/6/29/15894460/jason-peters-legend-eagles-philadelphia-offensive-tackle-left-story-bills-buffalo-nfl-ross-tucker

Subsequently changing his future in the NFL as a PS TE and potential cut to becoming one of the best LT in the NFL during his Era most likely HOF bound after a 16yr career.

I know we've had Players like Hines Ward and Julian Edelman go from QB to WR. Was informed in the Eagles forum Brian Urlacher went from Safety to MLB (forgot). All great examples and in Urlachers case a legit HOF. However all 3 were drafted!! Any other examples of a UDFA Or even a late round flier you can think of who went on to a HOF type careers after a posistion switch from the Combine, Camp ect into the NFL? I'm having a hard time thinking of one better then Jason Peters.

Edited by Nabbs4u

There have been some great to great switches like All-World corner Ronnie Lott moving to All-World safety.

• Rod Woodson was no slouch at safety in 2000 either.

I also know of a SB MVP WR who was a QB in college. (you named him above)

• His GoaT coach drafted him and said something like  'you are a football player, we will figure out your position.'
Edited by SkippyX

43 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

In 2004 Jason Peter's was an UDRFA TE signed by the Buffalo Bills. He was placed on the PS for 1/2 the season then activated and utilized on Goal line packages and on ST. Yes a 320lb TE on kick coverage.  There was a 1-1 drill late in the season OL/DL where he was asked to participate in out of sheer curiosity. A drill he never practiced once but was still able to Dominated every DL who lined up across from him apparently. Story by Ross Tucker below. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/6/29/15894460/jason-peters-legend-eagles-philadelphia-offensive-tackle-left-story-bills-buffalo-nfl-ross-tucker

Subsequently changing his future in the NFL as a PS TE and potential cut to becoming one of the best LT in the NFL during his Era most likely HOF bound after a 16yr career.

I know we've had Players like Hines Ward and Julian Edelman go from QB to WR. Was informed in the Eagles forum Brian Urlacher went from Safety to MLB (forgot). All great examples and in Urlachers case a legit HOF. However all 3 were drafted!! Any other examples of a UDFA Or even a late round flier you can think of who went on to a HOF career after a posistion switch from the Combine, Camp ect to the NFL? I'm having a hard time thinking of one better then Jason Peters.

Urlacher wasnt really a safety, he played a 4th LB position NM called LOBO.  My HS called it a Rebel back, it's also been referred to as a monster back.  It's a LB, who just breaks off in deep coverage occassionally.  He was drafted as a LB.  Edelman is probably the best example.  Anquan Boldin was a QB, then a WR, then a QB again at FSU.  Again tho, he was drafted as a WR.

• Like 2

Hard to remember some. Duane Brown came to VT as a TE. Quinton Dunbar was a WR the Redskins converted to a (starting) CB. To go with Ward and Edelman you have Antwaan Randle El  - he had a solid career - and Pryor. None of those are the greatest, but just some I can think of. 

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Urlacher wasnt really a safety, he played a 4th LB position NM called LOBO.  My HS called it a Rebel back, it's also been referred to as a monster back.  It's a LB, who just breaks off in deep coverage occassionally.  He was drafted as a LB.  Edelman is probably the best example.  Anquan Boldin was a QB, then a WR, then a QB again at FSU.  Again tho, he was drafted as a WR.

Ulacher also did this a bunch in the Tampa 2 as the  MLB so he was really a LB/SS hybrid, just like college.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2

12 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Hard to remember some. Duane Brown came to VT as a TE. Quinton Dunbar was a WR the Redskins converted to a (starting) CB. To go with Ward and Edelman you have Antwaan Randle El  - he had a solid career - and Pryor. None of those are the greatest, but just some I can think of. 

Yeah, if we consider position changes in college, this list would be amazingly long. Joe Staley was a TE at central michigan as well, i believe. JJ Watt too. etc. Chris Gamble started at OSU as a receiver, then doubled up at corner back, then was just a corner in the NFL. Richard Sherman did the same. 

Ronnie Lott was the first person that sprung to mind for me with regards to NFL position change. Charles and Rod Woodson would both be up there as well. 

26 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

If we are allowing the position changes in college, JJ Watt played TE at CMU before transferring and changing positions.

Brian Mitchell is another that should be up there.

I love everything about this post:

JJ Watt dominated at goal line TE in 2014 and he could get 5 or 6 TDs a year if they were willing to risk him on offense.

Brian Mitchell had to play QB in the Body Bag Game in 1990.

It was crazy how many of the America's Game episodes have the low point of Philly destroying the team

• Body Bag for the DC 1991
  • 40-8ers for the 1994 49ers
  • The 1992 Cowboys included footage of Aikman lining up behind a guard for the snap against the Eagles
    • Reggie, Clyde, and Jerome will do that to you
  • Crushing Tampa in the playoffs twice before Ronde!
  • The Eagles were killing Montana in 1989 (but of course Joe Cool beat them in the 4th quarter anyway)
  • The 2011 Giants have the DeSean return ending their 2010 season.
  • Even the 1986 Giants has a bit on how the Miracle of the Meadowlands led to the Giants drafting Simms the next year.

I guess it helps that there are 12 America's Game Episodes from the other 3 teams in the NFC East

Oh god, how could I forget this.

While he isn't "great" by any stretch of the imagination, Green Bay had a guy named Spencer Havner back in the day that was a legit LBer and a semifinalist for the Butkus Award while at UCLA.

Went undrafted in the 06 Draft, got cut by Washington and picked up by GB. Said the only way he could make the team is if he switched to TE. Wound up making the team, won a Super Bowl, earned the name "Duct Tape" on the Packers board. Unfortunately never got the chance to win a Gruden Grinder, though he definitely would have.

• Like 1