Who was the Greatest Position Change in NFL History?

Nabbs4u

I was watching a 2018 Patriots highlight video on YouTube yesterday, and I’m more amazed at Julian Edelman every time I see him. 

The stats aren’t crazy eye-popping, but he does have a career 10.8 yards per reception in the regular season, and career 12.3 in the playoffs. 

Not bad for a former QB. 

The list is quite long. For the Cowboys it includes Darren Woodson who went from OLB to pro bowl SS. Mark Tuinei UDFA DT to pro bowl OLT and a founding member of the Great Wall. Drew Pearson, college WR > PB WR.  The GOATs would be Antonio Gates and Cornell Green who went from basketball to the pro bowl.

21 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Ty Montgomery from WR to RB to cut.

traded doe.

Since it's mostly modern players being named, and IDK how much this counts, but IIRC almost all of Night Train Lane's experience in football was at WR, sure he played both ways at JUCO and in HS but when I was more into this history **** I'm pretty sure most everything you found about him before the LARs was about him on offense.

Emlen Tunnell is another one that was known as an offensive player in college and became a HOF DB.

Edited by Norm

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The best switch for me has to be Antonio Gates.  Never played a down of football in college and the NFL was an afterthought when the NBA did not look like a good option.  UDFA PF to Hall of Fame TE.

Similar story with Jimmy Graham - was a scholarship athlete at the U as a PF, caught the attention of the football coaches and eventually turned into one of the better TEs in the game.

Positional change is great and all but let’s give respect to pro bowl OG Kris Dielman. Was an UDFA who played DT in college. Chargers brought him in because of his connection with OC Cam Cameron. He converted to playing offense as a guard and ended up changing the entire attitude of our offensive line. Was a large part of LaDainian Tomlinson’s record breaking season and one of the best pulling guards I’ve ever seen. When he went down, the whole team chemistry changed. He was a true leader in the locker room and on the field.