NFCN Rivals - Vikings thread

beardown3231

On 7/1/2019 at 3:43 AM, RJ_11 said:

Haha yeah the ones they've been wearing since they re-designed them a few years ago are so nice.

If we're talking worst unis... No team can match the Bucs current unis, MY GOD they are ugly.

There's...a lot to not like about them, yeah. The goofy number styles is pretty pathetic. 

This much I will say.  The NFCN teams and a few others have stuck by their traditions.  They may have modernized a bit but the old school stuff still runs strong in them and their fans base.  Minny has probably moved a bit farther up the line than the rest but not all that far.

Personally I think a purple and gold like the U of Washington would look classier just as I believe the same would be true of Green Bay's green and "gold".  Neither team sports a traditional gold.  It's more like an intense yellow.

10025560-ncaa-football-washington-spring

• Like 1

14 hours ago, soulman said:

This much I will say.  The NFCN teams and a few others have stuck by their traditions.  They may have modernized a bit but the old school stuff still runs strong in them and their fans base.  Minny has probably moved a bit farther up the line than the rest but not all that far.

Personally I think a purple and gold like the U of Washington would look classier just as I believe the same would be true of Green Bay's green and "gold".  Neither team sports a traditional gold.  It's more like an intense yellow.

10025560-ncaa-football-washington-spring

Agreed.  Washington and ND far better.   GB and MN not more like yellow, it is yellow.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Agreed.  Washington and ND far better.   GB and MN not more like yellow, it is yellow.  

Here are the CSU Rams unis.  I believe GB would look better with this approach as well but then the cheesehead hats would have to go.

DCK0p3MV0AAX1CN.jpg

• Like 1

Vikings uniform colors are purple and white. The yellow is a trim color, like orange for the Bears. It's not even as prominent as the Bears orange: only shows up as a thin stripe on the sleeves and sides of the pants, a small detail of the horn on the helmet, and as the wordmark on the chest of the home jersey: 

Everson+Griffen+Danielle+Hunter+San+Fran

That's nothing like the teams who use yellow/gold as a major color (GB, SF, UWash, etc). Changing that brighter yellow to a gold (like on the Niners pants here) would have basically no effect on the overall look. 

The Vikings helmets have never perfectly matched their jerseys. In the classic era, they were a much darker purple. Here's my namesake Paul Krause from the 70s:

paulkrause2.0.jpg

The science behind color perception is complicated, and it turns out that it's hard to get purples to match across different lighting conditions (daylight vs artificial lights at night). The match with the current set is closest in the daylight, but new helmets are matte purple, which also heightens the differences. 

On 2019-06-29 at 9:55 AM, soulman said:

Under Zimmer they seem a bit like Lovie's Bears.  Very good defensively but unable to do enough consistently enough offensively to make it to the top and stay there.  That's not to say this may not change but Cousins also has a bad habit of having turnovers at the worst of times and he too has struggled to win big games.

This is about right. The hope this year is that Kubiak's system will play to Cousins' strengths (more play action from heavier sets with moving pockets, less standing in shotgun and reading spread formations) and help elevate his game. The defense should still be good enough to win with, if the offense gets its act together. 

• Like 2

U of Washington has a purple and white combo as well.  But that said I've never minded the Vikings unis.  Tradition is tradition and I'm old school so I like keeping to traditions.  One thing I do question though is ever calling a bold yellow "gold".  But that's a Packer thing really.

Jake-Locker-University-of-Washington-Foo

4 hours ago, Krauser said:
On 6/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, soulman said:

Under Zimmer they seem a bit like Lovie's Bears.  Very good defensively but unable to do enough consistently enough offensively to make it to the top and stay there.  That's not to say this may not change but Cousins also has a bad habit of having turnovers at the worst of times and he too has struggled to win big games.

This is about right. The hope this year is that Kubiak's system will play to Cousins' strengths (more play action from heavier sets with moving pockets, less standing in shotgun and reading spread formations) and help elevate his game. The defense should still be good enough to win with, if the offense gets its act together. 

That would seem to be the wiser approach.  The Bears wasted Cutler by never building an offense suited to his strengths and in some ways I've envisioned Cousins running into the same problem.  Kubiak is a sharp offensive coach and I respect his abilities.

As a Denver resident one of my favorite seasons was Kubiak returning to actually win a Super Bowl with virtually the same team as John Fox failed with.  It was like step aside you stubborn old coot.  Lemme should you how it's done.  LOL

• Like 2

On 7/1/2019 at 7:18 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly outside of Green Bay, who’s color scheme matches that of a Waste Management trash can (HA!) I don’t dislike any of the current NFL uniforms. I’m fact I think there are a lot of really GOOD ones right now. 

I posted this on my Facebook page last year.  :D

66khah.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, soulman said:

Kind of interesting that no other NFL team has ever used purple as part of their team colors.  Purple and Gold is a very '60s kinda thing.

Anyway, so far it would seem that Kirk Cousins is becoming a more expensive version of Jay Cutler and without hesitation I would say a version whose not even that good.  Arguably the Vikings have provide Cousins with much better offensive weapons that Jay ever had.

I still think at least in 2019 they may be a bigger challenge than GB but then we seem to handle them better than we do Rodgers so who knows.

One thing to keep in mind is that in Mike Zimmer's 6 years as head coach of the Vikings, he has had 5 different starting quarterbacks.  His luck with the most important position on the field has been amazingly bad.  This will be Zim's first year going into the season with the same QB as he had the year before.  I'm hoping that bit of stability at the position will help the entire team. 

When it comes to Kirk Cousins, nobody is waiting for him to suddenly become the next Tom Brady, but if he can just play as well as Case Keenum played in 2017, we have a good enough roster where we should be able to overcome any deficiencies he has. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

One thing to keep in mind is that in Mike Zimmer's 6 years as head coach of the Vikings, he has had 5 different starting quarterbacks.  His luck with the most important position on the field has been amazingly bad.  This will be Zim's first year going into the season with the same QB as he had the year before.  I'm hoping that bit of stability at the position will help the entire team. 

When it comes to Kirk Cousins, nobody is waiting for him to suddenly become the next Tom Brady, but if he can just play as well as Case Keenum played in 2017, we have a good enough roster where we should be able to overcome any deficiencies he has. 

Hiring Kubiak should help a lot.  He's a very savvy QB coach.  He would have done wonders for Cutler had the Bears ever been able to hire him.