FS Jalen Thompson in Supplemental Draft

mwalker

I think it all depends on how the supplemental draft falls.  If he doesn't go early (rounds 1 - 2), I would definitely put a flyer on him round three.  He had a high NFL draft grade going into this season.  He is young, has upside and can sit and develop. No need to rush playing him. I would lose a third for a potential first round talent.  His best years are clearly ahead of him.  Great insurance for Sean Davis as well.

5 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think it all depends on how the supplemental draft falls.  If he doesn't go early (rounds 1 - 2), I would definitely put a flyer on him round three.  He had a high NFL draft grade going into this season.  He is young, has upside and can sit and develop. No need to rush playing him. I would lose a third for a potential first round talent.  His best years are clearly ahead of him.  Great insurance for Sean Davis as well.

We don’t have a third.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 6:48 PM, wwhickok said:

The Steelers won't go after anyone in the supplemental drive.

They haven't recently to my knowledge. I think the last supplemental draft picks of the Steelers may be from the 84 (USFL players) with WR Duane Gunn and a few others.  I can't remember off the top of my head. But why not?  If you can get a talent and get them at a more than reasonable future draft pick, again, why not do it?  There is not a dearth of FS talent on the roster and he is young and there is no pressure for him to start or play right away. Let him get the NFL experience at practice and playing ST.  Next year regardless of what happens with Davis, you at best have two FS's competing and at the very least you have great depth at the position. Put a bid in on a fourth.  If someone beats you to it, oh well, if not, you may have a bit of a gem in the rough so to speak.

Honest question I don’t know the answer to: how many dudes picked in the supplemental draft are staring in the NFL right now? 

Pryor and Gordon are the only two I know about and they are....I don’t even know how to describe their careers. Okay-ish? 

There’s a reason why dudes are in this draft, there’s a reason a draft eligible guy didn’t come out early. I’m just not super worried about this draft, ever. 

20 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Honest question I don’t know the answer to: how many dudes picked in the supplemental draft are staring in the NFL right now? 

Pryor and Gordon are the only two I know about and they are....I don’t even know how to describe their careers. Okay-ish? 

There’s a reason why dudes are in this draft, there’s a reason a draft eligible guy didn’t come out early. I’m just not super worried about this draft, ever. 

For the most part I agree  but sometimes there are guys that are ruled academically ineligible or some that violated NCAA rules after the April Draft (this is the case with Thompson).  At that point, the Supplemental Draft is there only option. Otherwise, they would have been selected in the following draft.

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

For the most part I agree  but sometimes there are guys that are ruled academically ineligible or some that violated NCAA rules after the April Draft (this is the case with Thompson).  At that point, the Supplemental Draft is there only option. Otherwise, they would have been selected in the following draft.

I can appreciate that, but is was a draft eligible guy. Why didn’t he come out? Also, this being his only option doesn’t make me run out the door with optimism. 

I just feel like this draft falls into this - he is available, therefore he is the best option - status. We see that all the time - just look at the Bud Dupree replacement talk this year. 

I know nothing about this kid, so you could sell me on him - but where does he stand with this years S crop? What about the projection of next year? I could understand if he is a hands down 1st or 2nd rounder but anything in the middle is a no go for me. Your a middle rounder and you weren’t even able to handle the responsibilities of a general education in college? I’m good. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I can appreciate that, but is was a draft eligible guy. Why didn’t he come out? Also, this being his only option doesn’t make me run out the door with optimism. 

I just feel like this draft falls into this - he is available, therefore he is the best option - status. We see that all the time - just look at the Bud Dupree replacement talk this year. 

I know nothing about this kid, so you could sell me on him - but where does he stand with this years S crop? What about the projection of next year? I could understand if he is a hands down 1st or 2nd rounder but anything in the middle is a no go for me. Your a middle rounder and you weren’t even able to handle the responsibilities of a general education in college? I’m good. 

Well draft eligible guys don't always come out. Even potential 1st rdrs. I can't try and sell you on this guy. I don't know anything about him. But the article said he was a potential 3rd rdr next year. My guess is (as you suggested) he won't move the needle much. 

21 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not saying I'm against it I just don't think they'll do it.

20 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is what I think too. Not because he's a bad kid, but because I think the FO is comfortable with our safeties and we don't have a full cache of picks next year. 

I would agree with you both in reality. I just feel like the team needs to do some things out of the ordinary to get to the next level.  This pick certainly wouldn't take them over the top in 2019. However, down the road, it may be a great value if they got a first or second round talent for a fourth or fifth round pick (if possible).  They then let him develop and hopefully by 2020 he has increased playing time or is starting and by 2021 he is playing at a high level.

Edited by Steeler Hitman
sentence accidently omitted
  • Like 1