~~//~~ Pro Wrestling: Road to Wrestlemania ~~\\~~

Adrenaline_Flux

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

You guys are sleeping on Cena!!!

He's in that same tier as Rock for me.  He's not Austin or Hogan and never has been (people underestimate how much of a draw Hogan was and how much money compared to the next biggest draw he was making for Vince - you adjust for inflation in terms of the mid-80's to nowadays and Hogan's earnings dwarf Cena's).  Plus, the leg he's always going to have up on Cena is that he was able to reinvent himself well past his prime and become a whole new draw.

This is why branding it "Mount Rushmore" is so difficult because Mount Rushmore is only 4 and that's for a field of 45 (considerably less than that when Rushmore was carved).

There's a strong case that Heenan and Lawler ought to be strongly entrenched in the Honorable Mention category as well.

54 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

If this was based on skill and not popularity then the list would be a lot different.

Michaels, Hart, Jericho, Styles, Henning, could all make a case for top 4.

Basically being on rushmore for me is about impact:

Hogan:  no need to explain.  WM wouldnt be successful without Hulkamania.  Hogan was the biggest draw during the rock n wrestling era and made vince millions

Austin: ushered in the attitude era 

Sammartino: had the longest heavyweight title reign in history (11 years).

Flair: big deal in NWA then made his name in wwf and wcw.  

heh, good ending. That was definitely one of Jinder's better matches, but that's probably thanks to AJ. AJ vs Brock...I dunno. AJ is going to have to do a lot of acrobatics since he probably can't lift Brock very well. I don't think there's any chance he will beat Brock unless some shenanigans happens, like a Bullet Club reunion.

3 hours ago, Jeezla said:

heh, good ending. That was definitely one of Jinder's better matches, but that's probably thanks to AJ. AJ vs Brock...I dunno. AJ is going to have to do a lot of acrobatics since he probably can't lift Brock very well. I don't think there's any chance he will beat Brock unless some shenanigans happens, like a Bullet Club reunion.

He won't beat Brock, but this is a better matchup for not putting tarnish on the guys (which had AJ not won would have also included him) that Jinder's beaten if Brock didn't squash him (and even some if he had).  AJ has more credibility so they can afford to let Brock sell some (probably even let Brock get caught in a Calf Crusher and look close to tapping to give AJ some shine).  They'll probably hot potato the title back to Jinder at some point during the India Tour then have him drop it again at the Rumble (as over as AJ is, it would probably be smart to have him in - and winning - a world title match there rather than in the Rumble where fans might throw a tantrum if/when he's eliminated).

Either way, this is a superior outcome to having to try and find a way to give Jinder a dirty win over Brock in order to not make hurt Brock's street cred (by having him look like Jinder effing Mahal could actually stand with him) or hurting the credibility of Orton/Nakamura/AJ when they guy that consistently beat them (particularly in the case of the first two) got demolished by Brock.

My Mount Rushmore...

Stone Cold - Leader of the Attitude Era. He's WAY above The Rock IMO. In fact id put the rock below Austin and Michaels.

Flair - The ultimate persona. His influence is everywhere in the business.

Sammartino - His championship reigns were legendary and his body of work is incredible. Wrestled for 15 minutes during a title match with a fractured neck.

Hulk Hogan - He was the hulk and there will never be anyone like him ever again. He was the character who most influenced the launch of WWFs popularity into the stratosphere imo.

I only have 3 HMs. Antonio Inoki, Taker, and HBK. Its REALLY hard for me to leave Michaels off my Mount Rushmore. He's my #1 if we're doing a personal list. Greatest of all-time in terms of total package imo. A big part of me wanted to put him over Sammartino.

No one has become as world wide popular as the Rock. his time in WWE, he might not have reached the heights of Stone Cold, but he is without a doubt the most known of his generation outside of wrestling. Hogan, Rock and Cena have done way more than Austin ever thought.

If you just look at the last 30 years, "The man" torch passed from Hogan to Hart to HBK to Austin to HHH to Cena. Austin and the Rock are probably the two best talkers in WWE history. 

Austin hit his prime in what 1997, and his career was done by 2002. The rock went from about 1998 to 2004 before he called it quits. 

so i guess it just depends on what you are looking for in your Mt Rushmore. HHH and Undertaker had such long Primes that its hard to leave them out. Same thing with Hogan and Cena. Injuries robbed Austin and Fame pulled the rock away. 

I am not sure anyone in wrestling history was able to play as many roles as the rock. He nailed everything, the babyface champ, the heel champ, the goofy guy, the tough guy, he was at one point extremely hated and at another point the funniest wrestler ever. Stone Cold basically had the Screw everyone attitude that elevated himself and the business but that was it. He flopped trying to be a vince McMahon team heel. 

Even Cena has never fully pulled off the Heel turn, early on he was a heel, but The rock had this ability to go back and forth between face and heel and thrive either way. 

I would say 100% the rock was one of the 4 best faces of Wrestling. I would, only going back 30 years, put Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena on the mountain. 

Styles vs Lesnar is something to get excited about. Mahal was going to be a 3 minute squash match. Now there is a legit question as to what the main event is going to be. there is no way they saved Lesnar vs Mahal for the main event, but Styles vs Lesnar might be. I bet they will have a MASSIVE brawl break out during the end of this match. It would be a perfect way to end the show. Lesnar will get the win, as he continues to rack up big wins this year. 

Right now he has wins over Goldberg, Joe, Stroman, Technically Reigns, and now Styles. There is still time to get him a win over Balor as well before he loses to Reigns at Wrestle mania.

20 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

No one has become as world wide popular as the Rock. his time in WWE, he might not have reached the heights of Stone Cold, but he is without a doubt the most known of his generation outside of wrestling. Hogan, Rock and Cena have done way more than Austin ever thought.

If you just look at the last 30 years, "The man" torch passed from Hogan to Hart to HBK to Austin to HHH to Cena. Austin and the Rock are probably the two best talkers in WWE history. 

Austin hit his prime in what 1997, and his career was done by 2002. The rock went from about 1998 to 2004 before he called it quits. 

so i guess it just depends on what you are looking for in your Mt Rushmore. HHH and Undertaker had such long Primes that its hard to leave them out. Same thing with Hogan and Cena. Injuries robbed Austin and Fame pulled the rock away. 

I am not sure anyone in wrestling history was able to play as many roles as the rock. He nailed everything, the babyface champ, the heel champ, the goofy guy, the tough guy, he was at one point extremely hated and at another point the funniest wrestler ever. Stone Cold basically had the Screw everyone attitude that elevated himself and the business but that was it. He flopped trying to be a vince McMahon team heel. 

Even Cena has never fully pulled off the Heel turn, early on he was a heel, but The rock had this ability to go back and forth between face and heel and thrive either way. 

I would say 100% the rock was one of the 4 best faces of Wrestling. I would, only going back 30 years, put Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena on the mountain. 

I think what was meant was for wrestling fans, and what they think. I get what you’re saying though if you asked a random person whose never watched a lick of wrestling they’d name Hogan, Rock, Cena.

Archived