~~//~~ Pro Wrestling: Road to Wrestlemania ~~\\~~

Adrenaline_Flux

Mahal becoming WWE Champion should never have happened. He was a peripheral jobber who had only won a couple of matches on TV and it just wasn't believable that he could jump from that to being the top guy on Smackdown. 

And after they decided to make him champion, they gave him the cheapest of heat characters known in professional wrestling, the foreign heel. WWE's creativity extended to the point where because Jinder has Indian heritage, he hates America and denounces it every time he can. Extremely imaginative. Hasn't Rusev just managed to break away from having that stereotypical character.

And of course, all of his matches follow the same format. When the title's on the line he's always on the verge of losing it before the Singh brothers inevitably step in and save him one way or another. Maybe being unfair to WWE as they did add the Great Khali to interfere too at Battleground ¬¬. Hell in A Cell will be no different. If the Punjabi Prison couldn't keep people out the cell certainly won't keep out the Singh Brothers. 

Nakamura has to win the title in HIAC, to stay strong as a character more than anything. If he loses again to Mahal, even with interference he will look weak and become just a guy with an interesting entrance. 

On to No Mercy. Some very interesting matches on there. My thoughts on who should win and why:

WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar (c) vs Braun Strowman

Think the time is right to give the title to Strowman. It would fully legitimise the dominance he has been showing on Raw for the last few months now. Strowman could hold the strap for a long period whilst a string of challengers such as Lesnar (who would get a rematch), Reigns, Cena, Rollins, Ambrose, Joe etc stand up to him to see if they can be the one to defeat him and become champion. 

Strowman winning the title would also mean Raw has a full time champion that appears week to week. Don't get me wrong I like Lesnar and am happy he's in WWE but it's a personal bugbear that he as champion takes time off (as he can in his contract) and doesn't appear for months at times. Just feels wrong that Raw's world champion isn't there for long periods. 

As I mentioned before, I do think though that with Braun's dominance Brock will retain. To show that he is the conqueror and it will take a heck of a performance to beat him for the title. 

Roman Reigns vs John Cena

The result of this one for me depends on if WWE are planning to have them face each other in the future (i.e. at Wrestlemania). If this is a one off I feel Reigns should win as a sort of passing of the torch to confirm he is the new WWE guy going forward. If they are to face again then I would have Cena win this one meaning Reigns has to wait for his chance to show he is the successor to Cena before ultimately doing so at a future match in the future.

Will be interesting to see how the fans react to this popularity contest. Sure a lot of fans won't be on either's side for this match.

WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose (c) vs The Bar (Cesaro and Sheamus)

With all the build up to whether Rollins and Ambrose could ever co-exist again before becoming the Raw Tag Team Champions I don't think they should be relieved of the tag titles just yet. Think they should have a bit of a run with the tag titles, maybe until January where they return to their singles careers and focus on trying to become Universal Champion by winning the Royal Rumble. 

I also think that whilst The Bar are a great tag team, Cesaro and Sheamus could and should possibly be looking at becoming singles wrestlers again also. There's only so much they can do together as a team.

Finn Balor vs Bray Wyatt (Man on Man)

Really don't get this match. Balor as the Demon came to Summerslam and defeated Wyatt. The only angle I can see why Balor is doing this is to prove he can beat Wyatt without the face paint, which he should do.

I do think though that Wyatt wins this match because I feel WWE wants to prolong this feud. It would look stupid though if Balor did lose as it suggests Balor needs the demon persona to beat Wyatt. 

As a fan of Balor I do feel he's being wasted in this feud. I hope he beats Wyatt and moves on to a more significant feud possibly looking at the Universal Championship. Wyatt is no longer the character he was because WWE have wasted him for too long. He's never really won a major feud and it just feels now that he's drifting on from feud to feud with the same sort of storyline being played out in each one. It's a shame WWE didn't keep him face when they turned him for a short period. That could have been interesting. I feel Balor has more upside and scope for growth at this point than Wyatt so he should win.

WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Neville (c) vs Enzo Amore

Quite frankly Neville should win this. He has been absolutely fantastic as Cruiserweight Champion and after the break in his reign after losing the belt to Tozawa he could have another long reign.

That being said, Enzo is popular and gets a reaction so WWE may feel he will draw people to the Cruiserweight division and 205 Live, so I could see him winning it. 

WWE Raw Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss (c) vs Sasha Banks vs Bayley vs Nia Jax vs Emma

Alexa to retain. Sasha has won the Raw Women's title four times already, Bayley has only been added to the match at the last minute, Nia is no where near ready to be champion and Emma hasn't had the build up to show she can carry the belt.

Maybe Sasha being a multiple champion isn't a good enough reason to say she shouldn't win. It just feels she has been champion recently and would be better off winning it again after a break at somewhere like Wrestlemania and then have a long title reign where she actually defends the title successfully. 

Whoever wins the title I don't think it will matter much anyway. Asuka is on her way to Raw and she should and will be champion soon.

WWE Intercontinental Championship - The Miz (c) vs Jason Jordan

Really torn about this one. The Miz has been one of the best characters on Raw recently but I said in a recent Raw review that Jason Jordan winning the IC Title would be a good thing for him to develop and have good matches defending the title whilst progressing up the card. 

I'm going to go with Jordan. I think following their last segment on Raw where Miz left Jordan laying and insulted him it would be right for Jordan to prove him wrong and win his first singles title. 

I think WWE has big plans for JJ and this is the first step. Axel and Dallas could provide the assist to Miz though and perhaps prolong this feud a while longer where JJ wins in the end. 

Pre Show match - Elias vs Apollo Crews

Simply put, Elias should win this match. He's a great character who gets a reaction and is going places. Apollo Crews appeared on Raw last week for the first time in a long time and WWE apart from putting him in the Titus Brand seems to have nothing for him at the moment. Crews could benefit from returning to NXT as he's done nothing on Smackdown or Raw. 

Apologies for the long post. Had more to say than I thought. Always something interesting in WWE.

No Mercy!! This card is better than most pay per views. 

Here is my predictions 

Lesnar over Stroman via DQ because Joe will interfere in the match. Sets up a triple threat match between them 

reigns over Cena. No way they let reigns lose this unless they are planning some crazy "finding himself" angle which leads to him redeeming himself at Mania. 

Rollins and Ambrose over Sheamus and Cesaro. Rollins needs a face run with the belt. He's one of the best performers they have but his run with the tag belt should last a while. 

Neville over Amore. An Enzo title run is coming and it's going to be great but he needs to chase Neville for a while. 

Bliss keeps the woman's championship. They will go into a Bliss vs Jax program. 

Miz over Jordan. Miz should be in the main title picture but with the raw roster they won't put him in there. He needs to go back to smackdown and get a run with the WWE title. 

Balor over Wyatt. Seems like these two are together because they don't know what to do with them. They both need to get a shot at the universal title and be beaten by Lesnar as he takes his year long run with the belt. 

21 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So far it's been super predictable. Maybe something will happen like Stroman squashing Lesnar. 

I'm calling Heyman turning on Brock for the Strowman win.  Brock's still a draw as a special attraction so I don't really see them having him put over Strowman clean before a high-tier babyface.  And if it gives him someone like Heyman to be his hype man, Stroman isn't hurt in the slightest by his first title win having a "distracted" Brock involved in it.

Edit: Other booking option (I'd more favor this, tbh) would be to have Brock eek out a win like he did against Joe then have Strowman beat the everloving crap out of him after the match and kayfabe an injury that "forces" Brock to relinquish the title.  This allows you to pull Brock off TV to save his dates, bring him back as a surprise RR entrant (and the roof will blow off the place if he comes out and Strowman is already in the ring) and can give you the option of doing the rematch at Mania without having to worry about the title being involved (it sells itself and it gives Strowman a massive Mania moment).  Meanwhile, you can actually fill 3 hours of programming on RAW by having a bigger-than-8-guys tournament for the Universal Championship that crowns a winner either at Survivor Series or the RAW after.  Gives you a chance to do some fresh match-ups without having to manufacture a storyline or feud for them or worry about babyface vs heel dynamic.  Also, depending on where Joe is at in his recovery with his knee injury, you can actually push him hard as "shock" heel winner which gives you someone you can book around that easily carries you through the winter.

39 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Cena acting like this is the last match of his career 

Nah.  But he'll take a break and stay there until Survivor Series or the Rumble.  Most logical feud for him right now is Joe who is still on the shelf with that knee injury.

Archived