With the 6th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select...

Karnage84

10 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Van Noy was only built for a certain scheme.. idk the reason they drafted him. Bad example iyam 

Was always a bad pick for me.. And again obvious better talent was to be had then also

Same goes tho Quinn gets fired we get what a 7thrp for pineapple... when you coulda had better talent that fits any scheme... you imo draft scheme guys later or fa jmo.. or we can continue this cycle of taking one step forward and 5 back.. we've been doing this same rodeo for years now

I mean let's see what you got before you start throwing our high draft picks at scheme specific player... we need a new owner...

Van Noy was at the top of almost every scouts board at that point.  He was a first round talent that fell and everyone got excited.  He was the epitome of taking talent over scheme fit. 

The Patriot defense we are running requires some specific things and they have often been ripped for reaching on guys who fit their scheme however they usually end up working out.  I hate that we are trying to be the Patriots but we have to at least try and get those types of players to fit this system or ther is no point in even giving Patricia a chance.  Every team drafts for scheme fit.  If we had Greedy as a higher rated talent, they would have drafted him.  I am sure we all have differences in who was BPA, and it sucks when they reach for guys but I will give him the benefit of the doubt until I see it fail on the field.  We reached with Golliday, Walker, Hand, Ragnow and others under Quin and those happen to be some of our best players.

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Van Noy was at the top of almost every scouts board at that point.  He was a first round talent that fell and everyone got excited.  He was the epitome of taking talent over scheme fit. 

The Patriot defense we are running requires some specific things and they have often been ripped for reaching on guys who fit their scheme however they usually end up working out.  I hate that we are trying to be the Patriots but we have to at least try and get those types of players to fit this system or ther is no point in even giving Patricia a chance.  Every team drafts for scheme fit.  If we had Greedy as a higher rated talent, they would have drafted him.  I am sure we all have differences in who was BPA, and it sucks when they reach for guys but I will give him the benefit of the doubt until I see it fail on the field.  We reached with Golliday, Walker, Hand, Ragnow and others under Quin and those happen to be some of our best players.

The majority of us base our feeling about certain players on a) Draft analysts like Matt Miller, Todd McShay, now Raiders GM Mike Mayock, Daniel Jeremiah, etc. and b) Watching film on platforms like YouTube and c) Draft magazines from Lindy or Athlon Sports. There are 300 - 400 draft eligible players every year. We all have our own lives and it would be nearly impossible to scout all of these guys. Then there's scheme fit - each team values certain traits more than others. There is team need. There is team chemistry. Off-field interviews, background interviews, etc. , etc.

While a guy like Matt Miller might take the position and say "player X is a reach here", he's even acknowledged his limits with the information that he has access to. This is with contacts with various guys around the league as an insider. What it all boils down to, is that we don't even know what we don't know. To call this guy a reach or say that this other guy would be a better fit all stems from an extremely limited point of view.

Let's just let this thing play out instead of writing off a player before they've even seen the field.

Y'all can act like I'm mad bc I didn't get the player I personally wanted.. it's more about how many better were available... 

Is pineapple really that big of a need? Compared to what we really need.. then half of you act like golladay was a no body... musta not paid to much attention... I'm not someone who looks at just first rd prospects... giving Quinn the benefit of the doubt...really...

... the dude is all over the place.. he's running out of bs

He's never scouted someone as much as Teez... benefit of the doubt lol 

1 hour ago, Rockcity2 said:

Y'all can act like I'm mad bc I didn't get the player I personally wanted.. it's more about how many better were available... 

Is pineapple really that big of a need? Compared to what we really need.. then half of you act like golladay was a no body... musta not paid to much attention... I'm not someone who looks at just first rd prospects... giving Quinn the benefit of the doubt...really...

... the dude is all over the place.. he's running out of bs

He's never scouted someone as much as Teez... benefit of the doubt lol 

Isn't that the thread of your argument? "it's more about how many better were available" > according to who?

Golladay was the 11th or 12th WR taken and is arguably the 3rd or 4th best in the class. We could probably find similar messages about some of us (I could probably be included in there) freaking out over a guy expected to be taken in the 4th or 5th round drafted in the 3rd. If you were high on Golladay at the time, then my hat goes out to you. I'd love to see something showing love towards a WR from Northern Illinois.

Teez hasn't panned out. He took a guy that had production in the SEC. He placed production>measurables. It hasn't worked so far and you're not going to bat 1.000 in drafting. Keep in mind, he was drafting guys for a defensive scheme that was different than his preferred MP/NE style.

According to who... just about everybody on the planet earth...

He made the statement not me that Teez was the guy he has put the most time into.. how many years this dude been scouting... soo I'm pretty sure he thought he could fit in any defensive scheme...he knew he wasn't keeping Caldwell 

14 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

According to who... just about everybody on the planet earth...

He made the statement not me that Teez was the guy he has put the most time into.. how many years this dude been scouting... soo I'm pretty sure he thought he could fit in any defensive scheme...he knew he wasn't keeping Caldwell 

If the Lions had made the playoffs in 2017, Caldwell would probably still have been the coach in 2018. It wasn't a forgone conclusion that Caldwell was out.

Quinn's job was to draft the best guys for the scheme that was being run by the Lions to help them win. Quinn spent 15 years in New England before coming to Detroit. There's a comfort level with a ton of experience backing that up in bringing in guys that fit what they want to do in that system.

I know it's a slow time of year but we're just in circular arguments.

27 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If the Lions had made the playoffs in 2017, Caldwell would probably still have been the coach in 2018. It wasn't a forgone conclusion that Caldwell was out.

Quinn's job was to draft the best guys for the scheme that was being run by the Lions to help them win. Quinn spent 15 years in New England before coming to Detroit. There's a comfort level with a ton of experience backing that up in bringing in guys that fit what they want to do in that system.

I know it's a slow time of year but we're just in circular arguments.

Turn it like you want.. but it was pretty likely..even if we would of made the p.o. and lost betcha he would of been gone

Hope you know being a scout and actually making the picks are two totally different things..

On 7/9/2019 at 12:28 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm not sure how you can say that van noy was bpa.  

Hated that draft... I woulda had Donald and Adams damit