2019 Training Camp Thread

dll2000

Bears Training Camp: Adam Shaheen misses practice with sore back

Stop me if you’ve heard this before: Adam Shaheen missed Bears practice Sunday due to injury. Sadly, injuries have been the story of Shaheen’s young career.

This time, it’s his back that forced him out of action. To be more specific, Matt Nagy said Shaheen was dealing with a “sore lower back.” And while it’s entirely possible the Bears are just being cautious with the third-year tight end, his history of bumps, bruises and breaks makes this newest injury just another reason to worry whether he’ll ever be able to hold up in the NFL.

Shaheen missed three games his rookie season because of a chest injury and he began 2018 on injured reserve due to a fractured ankle suffered in the preseason. Shortly after returning to action, Shaheen was sidelined again with a concussion.

Bears HC Matt Nagy: TE Adam Shaheen did not participate in practice Sunday because he has a sore back.

In total, Shaheen has appeared in just 19 out of 32 games through two seasons with the Bears. He’s totaled 17 catches for 175 yards and four touchdowns during that span.

Hardly the numbers expected from a second-round pick who was viewed as a rare blend of size and playmaking ability as a draft prospect.

Just now, soulman said:

And while it’s entirely possible the Bears are just being cautious with the third-year tight end, his history of bumps, bruises and breaks makes this newest injury just another reason to worry whether he’ll ever be able to hold up in the NFL.

A sore lower back is what's sidelined Shaheen.

If there is an honest concern to me it's what is being addressed here.

Shaheen entered college as a 205lb BB star who grew into a 280lb football star but does he have the body to carry that kind of weight or even the 270lbs he's now listed at?

Would they be better off allowing Sowell to handle the inline TE role and have Shaheen drop even more weight playing around 250-255lbs in the role Zach Miller did?

Something's not quite right here and it makes me wonder if his "klutziness" isn't due to him playing a body that's just too heavy for him at this level.  Anyone have other thoughts?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, soulman said:

A sore lower back is what's sidelined Shaheen.

If there is an honest concern to me it's what is being addressed here.

Shaheen entered college as a 205lb BB star who grew into a 280lb football star but does he have the body to carry that kind of weight or even the 270lbs he's now listed at?

Would they be better off allowing Sowell to handle the inline TE role and have Shaheen drop even more weight playing around 250-255lbs in the role Zach Miller did?

Something's not quite right here and it makes me wonder if his "klutziness" isn't due to him playing a body that's just too heavy for him at this level.  Anyone have other thoughts?

I totally agree.  His frame may not be able to function at that weight to do what he is accustom to what he is functionally able to do.

18 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He did have 29 TD's and 12 INT's last year. If he makes that big of a leap again he's a top 8 QB

He didn't have those numbers last season so he still has a good amount to improve on, being consistent from game to game is a big one.

37 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

He didn't have those numbers last season so he still has a good amount to improve on, being consistent from game to game is a big one.

Hes pretty close, including playoffs its 28 total TDs and 12 INTs. The spirit of what he is saying is true.

Bears offense was ‘just okay’ on Day 3 of training camp

by Alyssa Barbieri

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/28/bears-offense-was-just-okay-on-day-3-of-training-camp/

As the Bears took the field for their first padded practice of training camp in front of a crowd of 8,813, it was the defense that shined, as well as some flashy weapons in David Montgomery and Allen Robinson.

As for the kicker competition, Eddy Pineiro answered Elliott Fry's impressive Saturday performance with one of his own.

Here are my breakdown from Day 3 of training camp:

The offense was 'just okay,' while the defense soared

The offense is certainly more confident heading into its second season in Matt Nagy's system, but it was the defense that stole the show on Sunday with a slew of playmakers capitalizing on what Nagy said was a "just okay" day for his offense.

After Eddie Jackson got beat by Javon Wims one-on-one, he bounced back with a pick of Mitch Trubisky during 11-on-11 that seemed to spark a fire under the defense.

“We told ourselves we gotta get in our groove,” Jackson said. “Especially as DBs, it takes a while to knock the rust off in one-on-ones.”

While Trubisky looked solid on Saturday, he had a rough start to practice before settling in and making some strong, accurate throws during the team drill. As a whole, the defense won the day. And now it's the offense that's tasked with fixing things for Monday.

"We expect a little bit better," Nagy said. "The ball was on the ground a few times, but we'll learn from that. We'll talk to these guys and make sure you've got to have that next-play mentality."

Eddy Pineiro matches Elliott Fry.

While the kicker situation is far from solidified, there were signs of encouragement after Elliott Fry's solid Saturday practice where he connected on 9-of-10 kicks, including a 60-yarder.

The pressure was on Eddy Pineiro to match Fry's performance, and he delivered another solid outing for Bears kickers that brought optimism to a situation that hasn't really had any.

Pineiro connected on field goals from 33, 33, 37, 40 and 44 yards, and he missed one from 53 yards out. But he hit on a 63-yarder that had the distance to travel even farther.

"Coach (Tabor) asked me, ‘Hey, let’s hit 60,’" Fry said after practice. "I was like, ‘Nah, you guys hit 60 yesterday. We’re going 63 today.’"

David Montgomery is a perfect fit for Nagy's offense.

Rookie RB David Montgomery was itching to put pads on for the first time in training camp, and he showed exactly why he's perfect for this offense.

While Montgomery took reps mostly with the 2's, he showcased the skills that made it abundantly clear why Ryan Pace trade up for him, including his vision and contact balance.

"He has some of the best vision that I’ve seen in a long time," Nagy said. "He feels where the defenders are before they show up."

While it's clear Montgomery is worth the hype, he did have some "welcome to the NFL" moments, including when Roquan Smith took him to school in pass blocking drills. So he doesn't get caught up in the big plays he makes rather those moments for growth.

“I made a lot of other mistakes I have to fix, and I remember those more," Montgomery said.

Allen Robinson is primed for a breakout season.

There's no doubt that Allen Robinson is going to be one of the biggest playmakers on this Bears offense this season.

After an impressive Saturday practice, Robinson continued to show-out on Sunday. Everywhere you looked, Robinson was all over the field making catches.

Whether it was going up over Prince Amukamara and Eddie Jackson to pull down a deep ball from Trubisky or his ability to make all kinds of catches, it's clear to Robinson is poised to have a breakout season in Chicago.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Shaheen is already injured. Relying on him to do anything but be in the trainers room is a mistake.

Is it an injury? Or is it an “it’s day 3 of camp and let’s treat every sore muscle with an over abundance of caution”? We don’t know. Ridley is week to week. That’s an INJURY. Can we at least see if Shaheen misses more than one day before we again declare him to be Glass Joe? 

• Like 1

Okay a lot of the stuff we said that we are excited about maybe happening in 2019 is becoming evident in early camp.

Still early but … 

1) MT has far greater command of offense.  He hasn't been perfect, but has improved by all accounts.  First public day was better than second.  

2) Allen Robinson is looking like an elite player.

3) Roquan Smith is looking like an elite player.

4) Entire D line is looking elite.  Mack is in his own stratosphere and Hicks isn't too far behind. 

5) Patterson is making offense more versatile and multiple.

6) Forgotten man Mike Davis is good.

7) Either kicker has evident talent.  Just need consistency.  Still nice to have ability to boom a long one for possible points on short drives or end of half and to keep returners from being a factor.  Patterson may have cost us Patriots game last year.  A kick to endzone ends play or real high to 1 yard line and he doesn't score that TD.  You don't get that with an 37+ year old kicker.  It's not all about field goals.  

Still need to see:

1) Can we get a Y TE please?  Bears should have attacked this in FA like many of us said.  The big Cincinnati FA TE was one they should have grabbed.  Ifs and buts ...

Still holding out hope for Shaheen, but my patience is wearing thin.   I agree with those who posit that his body can't handle his weight.  It's a good explanation as to why he gets all these small injuries and has a bad back now.   Yay he lost 5 lbs. with karate or whatever.  He should have lost 25.  One thing I liked about Lovie Smith is he was on top of guys optimal weight and enforced it.  One of his favorite sayings was, "I don't play fat guys."

2) Common rookies someone step up and play better than we expect.  Looking at you Montgomery and Shelley.  (I know both have made good plays, but both have reportedly been whooped too).

3) I know Bears have a historic D line and its early in camp and O line is always bad early in camp at every level of football, but common O line, step it up.

4) MT to get better touch on deep balls.  Was good in OTAs and day 1.  Not so good in day 2.  That's what practice is for.

Overall:

As it stands, like I have been saying all offseason, this is best Bears team in my lifetime since 1985.  Looks real good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Is it an injury? Or is it an “it’s day 3 of camp and let’s treat every sore muscle with an over abundance of caution”? We don’t know. Ridley is week to week. That’s an INJURY. Can we at least see if Shaheen misses more than one day before we again declare him to be Glass Joe? 

OMG he missed today too! Let the panic ensue! WHAT WILL WE DO IF THE 14TH MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER ON OUR OFFENSE IS NOT ONE HUNDRED PERCENT RELIABLE??!

#sarcasm 

• Like 1