2019 Training Camp Thread

dll2000

19 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Denver is a nightmare to play in, especially early in the season. I read that the Broncos are something like 20-2 in their last 22 September home games.

Altitude is a real factor in athletics especially in Sept. heat.  You have to acclimate to it. 

That being said there is a big talent gap between 2019 Bears and 2019 Broncos.  They are going to play a lot of young guys and try to make it up with Flacco holding it together.  Our D vs their O could get ugly if they don't gas in altitude.  That could be Flacco's last game of 2019 and it becomes Locke show.   I expect a win. 

But any given Sunday and all that, Bears lost in Miami heat to a bad Miami team and almost lost in SF because they played bad offensively.  Way better than both those teams in 2018.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Altitude is a real factor in athletics especially in Sept. heat.  You have to acclimate to it. 

That being said there is a big talent gap between 2019 Bears and 2019 Broncos.  They are going to play a lot of young guys and try to make it up with Flacco holding it together.  Our D vs their O could get ugly if they don't gas in altitude.  That could be Flacco's last game of 2019 and it becomes Locke show.   I expect a win. 

But any given Sunday and all that, Bears lost in Miami heat to a bad Miami team and almost lost in SF because they played bad offensively.  Way better than both those teams in 2018.  

Most definitely.  Nagy should bring the team out as early in the week as possible giving them no less than 48 hours to acclimate.

The key should be based on having a good ball control game prepared that can keep the defense off the field as much as possible.  We have solid depth on offense at the skill positions so be prepared to use it to score early and then grind it out from there.

You can't lower the altitude but you can prepare well to deal with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Most definitely.  Nagy should bring the team out as early in the week as possible giving them no less than 48 hours to acclimate.

The key should be based on having a good ball control game prepared that can keep the defense off the field as much as possible.  We have solid depth on offense at the skill positions so be prepared to use it to score early and then grind it out from there.

You can't lower the altitude but you can prepare well to deal with it.

That's where Fangio F'd up big time in Miami IMO.  

He played soft and wanted the QB to throw into a lot of coverage while Miami decided to played ball control and made long drives in 90 degree Miami sun while their guys rested in shade.

Our dline averages like 330 and Mack is all thick muscle.  That's why Mack got hurt and we lost.  You have to get them off field ASAP in that situation. 

Fangio lost that game. 

Also bring some giant umbrellas or something next time.  Don't just sit and bake in Miami sun. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

That's where Fangio F'd up big time in Miami IMO.  

He played soft and wanted the QB to throw into a lot of coverage while Miami decided to played ball control and made long drives in 90 degree Miami sun while their guys rested in shade.

Our dline averages like 330 and Mack is all thick muscle.  That's why Mack got hurt and we lost.  You have to get them off field ASAP in that situation. 

Fangio lost that game. 

Also bring some giant umbrellas or something next time.  Don't just sit and bake in Miami sun. 

That will also be a major factor.

At this altitude on a clear day the sun is brutal.  80 degrees will feel 10-15 degrees warmer even if the humidity is down.

These guys have to begin hydrating as soon as they arrive and keep hydrating throughout or they'll cramp up or pull muscles.

I've lived here since the '80s and I still drink anywhere from a half gallon to a gallon of water per day or I'll get leg cramps that can make me climb walls.

The altitude and lack of humidity coupled with the heat even in Sept. are worth 7-10 points a game for Denver unless teams prepare for it.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

If Bray is not "that guy" who can replace Daniels as a #2 it would seem Pace and Nagy have some decisions to make for 2020 and thereafter since Daniels deal is up after this season.   How much can we afford to pay a backup each year and should we be drafting a young QB each year beginning in 2020 looking for a guy to develop and keep the pressure on Mitch?  It may be time for that approach.

Unless Mitch tanks this year some mid to late round rookie isn’t going to be applying any pressure, but to whether they go that route in 2020 or keep a vet behind him IMO will come entirely down to the extent to which he progresses this year. If he’s a top 10ish QB after this year then I suspect it’s a kid at #2 in 2020 and if his development is minimal or flat then probably still a vet. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Unless Mitch tanks this year some mid to late round rookie isn’t going to be applying any pressure, but to whether they go that route in 2020 or keep a vet behind him IMO will come entirely down to the extent to which he progresses this year. If he’s a top 10ish QB after this year then I suspect it’s a kid at #2 in 2020 and if his development is minimal or flat then probably still a vet. 

That probably about right, I think. I really wish they would find a way to keep Daniel, though. 

I'd be fine with Daniel being a back up if on a cheap deal, but he is a guy who has done nothing in-game. Over half his stats in a 10 year career came in 2 game stretch last year. He is essentially a coach that dresses. And honestly even with all that he completely underwhelmed me. What did he have, 4 fumbles in his last game? That paired with a couple INTs was a pathetic game.

I'd prefer the Bears take a young QB with a 3-5th round pick (3rd if Pace wants to trade back with one of his 2nds to garner more swings), the defense and skill positions are stocked with talent, we have interesting talents in reserve at OL in Coward and Bars, etc. If Nagy and Helfrich are able to develop young talents, why not take a swing on a guy who can run a similar system to Tru with more upside than Daniel? At worst you likely get a career back up that doesn't dramatically alter your offense for when he goes in, or at best you get to trade him out for a decent pick up. The Bears in the 80s were derailed by horrendous QB play as McMahon had serious issues trying to stay healthy. Urlacher lost his one shot at the Super Bowl with Grossman playing like garbage. The Bears have obviously upgraded well above Grossman's talent level but the back up spot is still a serious concern to me. I know you can't reasonably expect to have two quality starters but either you develop a young kid to your system or overpay a reserve that can step in and play fairly well. Daniel is overpaid but I don't believe he has the talent to warrant that salary at all.

As far as guys go, I would love to see Chicago nab Kyle Lauletta if he is cut or traded for a late conditional pick. With Eli and Jones he has almost no shot of staying. He is a guy I liked as a potential back up pre-draft. Physically he seems like a mix of Alex Smith and Chad Pennington (yes I'm including arm strength in addition to legs too), so he has the mobility to be dangerous and solid short throw accuracy, but doesn't have a strong arm for the deep outs or fades. Seems like he is clashing with some of the Giants and may be on the bubble.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd be fine with Daniel being a back up if on a cheap deal, but he is a guy who has done nothing in-game. Over half his stats in a 10 year career came in 2 game stretch last year. He is essentially a coach that dresses. And honestly even with all that he completely underwhelmed me. What did he have, 4 fumbles in his last game? That paired with a couple INTs was a pathetic game.

I'd prefer the Bears take a young QB with a 3-5th round pick (3rd if Pace wants to trade back with one of his 2nds to garner more swings), the defense and skill positions are stocked with talent, we have interesting talents in reserve at OL in Coward and Bars, etc. If Nagy and Helfrich are able to develop young talents, why not take a swing on a guy who can run a similar system to Tru with more upside than Daniel? At worst you likely get a career back up that doesn't dramatically alter your offense for when he goes in, or at best you get to trade him out for a decent pick up. The Bears in the 80s were derailed by horrendous QB play as McMahon had serious issues trying to stay healthy. Urlacher lost his one shot at the Super Bowl with Grossman playing like garbage. The Bears have obviously upgraded well above Grossman's talent level but the back up spot is still a serious concern to me. I know you can't reasonably expect to have two quality starters but either you develop a young kid to your system or overpay a reserve that can step in and play fairly well. Daniel is overpaid but I don't believe he has the talent to warrant that salary at all.

As far as guys go, I would love to see Chicago nab Kyle Lauletta if he is cut or traded for a late conditional pick. With Eli and Jones he has almost no shot of staying. He is a guy I liked as a potential back up pre-draft. Physically he seems like a mix of Alex Smith and Chad Pennington (yes I'm including arm strength in addition to legs too), so he has the mobility to be dangerous and solid short throw accuracy, but doesn't have a strong arm for the deep outs or fades. Seems like he is clashing with some of the Giants and may be on the bubble.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Lauletta is NYG’s long term #2 plan. Eli won’t be there beyond this year. 

43 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Lauletta is NYG’s long term #2 plan. Eli won’t be there beyond this year. 

He may be but Shurmur seems to like Eric Dungey and Tanney. Tanny may be the long-term mentor for Daniels and Dungey is healthy. Lauletta is coming off a surgery on his knee. He might be healthy now IDK though.

Thank God the offseason is over :D...things I am looking forward to seeing in training camp...

1. Offence opening up with a true pass catching RB...when Nagy's offence was at it's best in KC it was because Hunt opened everything up in both the running and passing game...Montgomery, Davis & Cohen can all be everydown backs and we should see the offence opened up due to it...Burton should get the biggest boost of anyone over the middle.

2. Depth at WR...we have an outstanding amount of depth and skill sets at the wide receiver spot and we will let some good players go...the battle at the bottom of the roster will be fascinating.

3. 2nd year jump for Bilal Nichols...Nichols made some real standout flash plays and with an offseason to get stronger and a more attacking mentality from Pagano he really could become the 3rd DL we need next to Goldman & Hicks making this defence almost unbeatable.

4. Leonard Floyd...the big one of camp and the early season has to be Floyd...he must step up and with Pagano here it will be interesting to see how he is used in a more versatile way...he couldn't possibly have more help so if he can't do it this season he never will.

5. Who plays next to Eddie?...wit HaHa on the PUP list it gives someone else a chance to step up and play SS with the firsts...Bush should have the inside track but it's one of the more open camp battles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Does anyone know which practices will be in pads? Planning to go Thursday or Friday next week but would like to make sure I’m getting a practice in pads if I can. 

They are putting the pads on on Sunday, and I think its every other day at that point.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Thank God the offseason is over :D...things I am looking forward to seeing in training camp...

1. Offence opening up with a true pass catching RB...when Nagy's offence was at it's best in KC it was because Hunt opened everything up in both the running and passing game...Montgomery, Davis & Cohen can all be everydown backs and we should see the offence opened up due to it...Burton should get the biggest boost of anyone over the middle.

2. Depth at WR...we have an outstanding amount of depth and skill sets at the wide receiver spot and we will let some good players go...the battle at the bottom of the roster will be fascinating.

3. 2nd year jump for Bilal Nichols...Nichols made some real standout flash plays and with an offseason to get stronger and a more attacking mentality from Pagano he really could become the 3rd DL we need next to Goldman & Hicks making this defence almost unbeatable.

4. Leonard Floyd...the big one of camp and the early season has to be Floyd...he must step up and with Pagano here it will be interesting to see how he is used in a more versatile way...he couldn't possibly have more help so if he can't do it this season he never will.

5. Who plays next to Eddie?...wit HaHa on the PUP list it gives someone else a chance to step up and play SS with the firsts...Bush should have the inside track but it's one of the more open camp battles.

I am more so looking forward to reg. season.  Although bottom of roster camp battles fascinate me because there are so few positions available this year.   I don't know how much we will be shown in training camp or pre season of new look Bears.   I think they go pretty vanilla in pre season and public camp practices.  Then I think in reg. season you will see a lot of funky formations and motion with Patterson and Cohen.  They will work on those in non-public practices.  

Seems team has enough depth of weapons where we can survive a few injuries to any one save the QB.    Which is nice.  I hope they play no one in preseason.   I hate pre season injuries.  So deflating.  

I too am looking forward to Nichols.  Also, Roquan and Daniels amongst young guys.  Also Montgomery and Shelley, although I'm not sure when Shelley's moment in reg. season will come, if at all.   Buster may hold him off, though I have a feeling Shelley is better right now.  

I am hoping Robinson, Shaheen and Floyd come out and shock people with what they can do when fully healthy.  Or at least two of the three.

I am not afraid of Bush starting.  I have defended HHCD a lot against Packers fans, but I would prefer Bush start over a less than 100% HHCD.

I think Mack actually improves over last year because he is here all year and not moving or getting used to a new coach on fly, etc.  I think he is downright scary.