2019 Training Camp Thread

dll2000

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think Mack actually improves over last year because he is here all year and not moving or getting used to a new coach on fly, etc.  I think he is downright scary.

Not to mention he didn’t participate in the Raiders’ offseason program at all last year either. No OTAs, no minicamp, no training camp. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not to mention he didn’t participate in the Raiders’ offseason program at all last year either. No OTAs, no minicamp, no training camp. 

I can't believe how good he is at getting ball out.  He is a thief.  His hands are so strong he brings you down by swiping at the football.

Surprised he doesn't tear the door off the hinges turning the knob sometimes.  

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I can't believe how good he is at getting ball out.  He is a thief.  His hands are so strong he brings you down by swiping at the football.

Surprised he doesn't tear the door off the hinges turning the knob sometimes.  

Funny how the majority of the league complains about the roughing the passer penalty but the prominent pass rushers- Miller, Clowney, Mack- don't give a **** because they take the ball instead of trying to knock the opposition into Wednesday

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Funny how the majority of the league complains about the roughing the passer penalty but the prominent pass rushers- Miller, Clowney, Mack- don't give a **** because they take the ball instead of trying to knock the opposition into Wednesday

To be fair that takes a lot of skill.

I wouldn't put Clowney in that group either.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:07 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Unless Mitch tanks this year some mid to late round rookie isn’t going to be applying any pressure, but to whether they go that route in 2020 or keep a vet behind him IMO will come entirely down to the extent to which he progresses this year. If he’s a top 10ish QB after this year then I suspect it’s a kid at #2 in 2020 and if his development is minimal or flat then probably still a vet. 

I don't mean a mid or late round rookie. I'm talking about a young guy with starting potential whom Mitch can actually help coach rather than simply be coached.  Probably a kid we'd have to draft in round 2 or 3.

No doubt Mitch's progress in 2019 will dictate to some extent but if he plateaus all the more reason to bring in another young guy even if it means keeping 3 QBs.  However, I don't believe Mitch will plateau in 2019.

4 hours ago, soulman said:

I don't mean a mid or late round rookie. I'm talking about a young guy with starting potential whom Mitch can actually help coach rather than simply be coached.  Probably a kid we'd have to draft in round 2 or 3.

No doubt Mitch's progress in 2019 will dictate to some extent but if he plateaus all the more reason to bring in another young guy even if it means keeping 3 QBs.  However, I don't believe Mitch will plateau in 2019.

Given that we are going to start losing valuable pieces to keep our top guys soon I’m not sure we can afford the luxury of drafting a QB we hope never sees the field outside of August for anything but handoffs and kneel downs that high. Especially since we still have one more year without a 1st round pick next year. 

22 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'd be fine with Daniel being a back up if on a cheap deal, but he is a guy who has done nothing in-game. Over half his stats in a 10 year career came in 2 game stretch last year. He is essentially a coach that dresses. And honestly even with all that he completely underwhelmed me. What did he have, 4 fumbles in his last game? That paired with a couple INTs was a pathetic game.

Dude...none of that is fair to Daniel, at all. Backups can have rust, too. They're not an app, or something. Nor can they automatically be expected to play at a starter's level. Daniel is highly regarded around the league, and his good plays show you why. Daniel is, ultimately, a high quality backup, and many other teams would pay him what the Bears do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Given that we are going to start losing valuable pieces to keep our top guys soon I’m not sure we can afford the luxury of drafting a QB we hope never sees the field outside of August for anything but handoffs and kneel downs that high. Especially since we still have one more year without a 1st round pick next year. 

Others have while still maintaining their status.  For example Belichick has done it with Garoppolo and Brisset both of whom he's traded and surely GB did it during the Favre era when they spent a 1st on Rodgers long before Favre finally got pushed out the door.

I'm not advocating we do it next draft but it can't be avoided forever.  Vet backups with enough talent to come in cold and win games can be costly.  As our cap costs rise once Mitch is on his second contract what we can spend on a #2 will come into play more than now.

Our fortunes with bringing in QBs we didn't draft isn't good, not that we've drafted them all that well either at least 'til Mitch and we're still not 100% certain what his upside is.  QB is the single most important position on the offense.  No one wins big time any longer without a pretty good one so of all 22 positions depth may be as important at QB as any other spot.

I think with a mobile QB like Mitch we will have to be very lucky for him to remain uninjured for 16 regular season games each year so I'm not thinking about a guy whose little more than a clip board holder or a place holder in a blowout.  IMHO we'll eventually need a second Mitch and for that job I think we'll need to draft someone like him sooner than later.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Dude...none of that is fair to Daniel, at all. Backups can have rust, too. They're not an app, or something. Nor can they automatically be expected to play at a starter's level. Daniel is highly regarded around the league, and his good plays show you why. Daniel is, ultimately, a high quality backup, and many other teams would pay him what the Bears do. 

There really isn't much to back up the claim that he is a "high quality" back up. Even practice squad QBs are expected to be able to handle snaps, ler alone guys who habe played the position for 15ish years. He clearly had massive issues with that alone. That isn't expected of one of the highest paid reserve QBs in the league. 

He played pretty well in one game, and like absolute trash the other. As for being highly regarded, that can be a very misleading statement. Many guys are well regarded as mentors, guys who do the dirty work for cheap, etc. I can see him being a mentor, but in no way do i see him as a guy teams want to be on the field for more than a game at most or clean up duty.

If he were so highly regarded in that manner he would have found someone willing to give him a shot as a starter IMO. 

Miller: Mitch has been out here with me since Mon working.

They came early.  To stay in a dorm.  To work.  

Tell me these guys don't want to win.  

A little concerning that Miller said he had same problems with shoulder in college.  

Awww.  I was all geeked up to watch amatuer training camp videos and found out Bears are really clamping down on it this year.  

Sad.

I think a big reason is the beat media was pissed that they couldnt and amatuers could.  I remember a lot of complaining last year.  

I dont think it meant anything from a disadantage or competitive stand point. I loved it. 

Edited by dll2000