2019 Training Camp Thread

dll2000

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Everyone at camp says Mack is unblockable.  Abusing Leno and Massie.

You better have a plan for this guy.

Nagy shouldn't make him practice too much.  You have to keep this guy healthy.  

To be fair to Leno and Massie (yes, this is really me talking  lol) the Bears wouldn't actually try to block him one on one. This is where I could see Sowell actually getting real reps at. Either have his big butt lines up as a traditional TE, be standing in a close-slot position to help crack down, or even motion toward the elite EDGE from the other side to give Tru a glimpse of the defense being in man or zone. Hell put him in the FB spot and double team on elite interior DL, have him busting on guys like Donald, Cox, Chris Jones, Watt, etc. Make the DL make a move in or out, Sowell reads it and makes contact.

Agree about Mack though. Play him enough to keep him in the flow of things, but yeah he doesn't really need any technical work. No one on the team has the speed-to-power ability he has and only Hicks and Goldman have hands that are in his league of violent. Speaking of which, I'd like to see those two doing lower reps too. Get RRH and Nichols some reps inside in a 4man front and then some of Nichols at NT and RRH at DE since that will be a likely common rotation if Goldman comes out. With those three you aren't getting much better technically or anything, it is far easier to read and react as a DL than in the backfield for a new defense, so let the big guys rest more. Mack will drop back some I'm sure but he isn't a future HOF for his ability to cover TEs, he is for his ability to be disruptive on the opposite side of the ball. He isn't going to forget how to do that by taking half the reps.

I am hoping the more aggressive scheme helps Bullard be more effective too. He had to learn to 2-gap and get stronger to be effective for Fangio's system, and now that he was doing well vs the run we have a guy who would have likely used him as the 3T he was meant to be. Haha.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Too much time on your hands, soul, too much time

He did have 29 TD's and 12 INT's last year. If he makes that big of a leap again he's a top 8 QB

LOL......I always have time for a little humor bd no matter how minuscule that one was.  xD

At least I didn't start another thread extolling Gentry's virtues claiming THIS is the year he makes the 53 man roster..... mad0228.gif  kickme.gif

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I am hoping the more aggressive scheme helps Bullard be more effective too. He had to learn to 2-gap and get stronger to be effective for Fangio's system, and now that he was doing well vs the run we have a guy who would have likely used him as the 3T he was meant to be. Haha.

Interesting thought and good point.  I had already written him off.   I remember thinking his best college quality was his explosive first step. 

Not sure how Pagano would use him.  Remember you still have to keep Roquan clean.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Interesting thought and good point.  I had already written him off.   I remember thinking his best college quality was his explosive first step. 

Not sure how Pagano would use him.  Remember you still have to keep Roquan clean.

That was a nice camp summary you did brother so thank you for that.  Good first hand insights. 

I'm kinda with Sugashane as it related to Bullard.  His problem may be less a lack of talent than that he was drafted by the wrong team.

From Day One I saw more possibilities for him as a 285lb 3tech DT than as a 300lb 5tech DE having to play in a two gap scheme.  His quick first step and explosiveness might be much harder to handle playing a role as a penetrating DT shooting gaps inside.  I still see him that way and unfortunately we don't use him in that manner or at least Fangio did not.  Will Pagano?  We don't know.

My thinking is unless you can count on Bullard to provide at least a half dozen sacks and twice that many TFL and QB hits playing as a penetrating DT we'd be better off to protect Smith and allow him to penetrate and blitz.  If he can use his speed and agility he's nearly unblockable once he gets up to full speed and few if any QBs will be able to out run him if they bail.

I'm looking at having a need for a backup for Eddie Goldman and Akiem Hicks so they can take some breathers and it's pretty apparent Bullard sits behind Nichols and RRH at DE.  So do we keep a guy like Nick Williams whose better suited to relieve either Goldman or Hicks or do we keep hoping Bullard finally ascends to the level that was expected of him when he was drafted?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, soulman said:

That was a nice camp summary you did brother so thank you for that.  Good first hand insights. 

I'm kinda with Sugashane as it related to Bullard.  His problem may be less a lack of talent than that he was drafted by the wrong team.

From Day One I saw more possibilities for him as a 285lb 3tech DT than as a 300lb 5tech DE having to play in a two gap scheme.  His quick first step and explosiveness might be much harder to handle playing a role as a penetrating DT shooting gaps inside.  I still see him that way and unfortunately we don't use him in that manner or at least Fangio did not.  Will Pagano?  We don't know.

My thinking is unless you can count on Bullard to provide at least a half dozen sacks and twice that many TFL and QB hits playing as a penetrating DT we'd be better off to protect Smith and allow him to penetrate and blitz.  If he can use his speed and agility he's nearly unblockable once he gets up to full speed and few if any QBs will be able to out run him if they bail.

I'm looking at having a need for a backup for Eddie Goldman and Akiem Hicks so they can take some breathers and it's pretty apparent Bullard sits behind Nichols and RRH at DE.  So do we keep a guy like Nick Williams whose better suited to relieve either Goldman or Hicks or do we keep hoping Bullard finally ascends to the level that was expected of him when he was drafted?

That was my point.  Roquan > Bullard.  Let the scapel do its work.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

First padded practice and Shaheen isn't out there. Now THAT is a stunner xD

Braggs said he saw him get hurt in practice and the trainers talking to him.  Nagy didnt say anything after.  

Hopefully its minor.  Laughing face probably isnt my emotion there.

Edited by dll2000

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Braggs said he saw him get hurt in practice and the trainers talking to him.  Nagy didnt say anything after.  

Hopefully its minor.  Laughing face probably isnt my emotion there.

Well considering the verbal abuse I got for having no expectations for the big oaf, it was facetiously funny.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

Well considering the verbal abuse I got for having no expectations for the big oaf, it was facetiously funny.

Really you were abused? At least half the regular posters shared that opinion.

I was/am optimistic. But what will be, will be.  

I think a lot of debate was - is he any good when healthy? 

Obviously best ability is availability. 

• Like 1