Former NFL QB Jared Lorenzen dies (Age 38)

RaidersAreOne

Sad to see him go so young.  He was fun to watch play even if he was on some pretty poor Kentucky teams he made things interesting at least.  Probably will never see a player like him again physically, legit big man 270-300 pounds in his playing days and was a more than capable college QB.  Could move around in the pocket and make some things happen for sure and had a very strong arm.  Super rare to see a physical profile like him succeed at QB

On those Kentucky teams had he Artose Pinner to run the ball, I liked his leg drive and overall build as a back and Derek Abney was a fine college WR, got the absolute max out of his limited physical skills.  Crazy how Lorenzen's stats went down after his freshman year, had 3600+ passing yards as a FR then never over 2300 the following three years.  The competition probably assumed the kid could not play early on I am sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Hefty Lefty Pillsbury Throwboy.

He had a hell of a lot of nicknames, that's for sure. I'm legit sad. He was seriously a pretty decent college QB. Stupidly agile for his size back then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Sad to see him go so young.  He was fun to watch play even if he was on some pretty poor Kentucky teams he made things interesting at least.  Probably will never see a player like him again physically, legit big man 270-300 pounds in his playing days and was a more than capable college QB.  Could move around in the pocket and make some things happen for sure and had a very strong arm.  Super rare to see a physical profile like him succeed at QB

On those Kentucky teams had he Artose Pinner to run the ball, I liked his leg drive and overall build as a back and Derek Abney was a fine college WR, got the absolute max out of his limited physical skills.  Crazy how Lorenzen's stats went down after his freshman year, had 3600+ passing yards as a FR then never over 2300 the following three years.  The competition probably assumed the kid could not play early on I am sure.

Their offense changed into the dumbest **** ever after frosh year iirc. 

Sad news. For more than a decade I attended Saratoga every summer, and would spend several days not too far away in Albany watching Giants training camp. Lorenzen was always a curiosity and fan favorite there, just like every where else. I remember sitting in the grass alongside Giants fans watching quarterback drills involving Eli, Lorenzen, and Anthony Wright, and Tim Hasselbeck, or whomever the 4th guy was. I know Lorenzen was there for several seasons during the mid 2000s because I always anticipated watching him during summer, partially to see if his weight had fluctuated.

When he completed a pass of any depth during a scrimmage the crowd would always erupt and likewise the teammates went nuts. 

As a Dolphins fan any member of that 2007 New York Giants team will always hold a special place. Second greatest Super Bowl outcome ever. Maybe third best, but I'll go with second. Some will figure it out.

It's such a wild card what these massive NFL players do after retirement. Some understand the extra weight is not healthy toward a normal life, and immediately slim down. Others take it in the wrong direction.

I didn't follow any of the televised series or documentaries, after seeing him in that minor league game years ago. It seemed destined not to end well, no matter anything that would be portrayed on those programs.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Man, that's sad. I remember the Pillsbury Throwboy at Kentucky. He was fun to watch.

When I was a young lad,  I used to work at the Papa John's in Northern Kentucky where he lived and ordered pizza from. Was always a super nice guy. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Norm said:

Their offense changed into the dumbest **** ever after frosh year iirc. 

They tried to run a pro style system that while he was very effective in, wasn't built to his strengths like the air raid they ran his freshman year was, and his senior year they had him lining up to catch passes which was, yeah. Dude had a huge arm, was so much fun to watch even though those teams were mostly awful around him. 

He tried to cut the weight but in the end it was just too much on his body, such a shame, he always seemed like a really nice guy. Died from an infection too, remember damaging your body is permanent even if you make efforts to help it later in life.

You gotta wonder how much his earning potential being tied to him being the "pillsbury throwboy" hurt him too, if your entire marketing image is "I'm a super fat guy" then it's gotta be hard to break that.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan