Browns roster reduced to initial 53 (Thoughts, Practice Squad, & Waived Players to Bring in)

Mind Character

11 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Well, at the very least, I'd have him in the middle of the line against FG attempts. 6'8" he should be able to get a paw up on some balls.

And actually, is it against the rules to have a player on another player's shoulders? We could totally put Peppers on Banner's shoulders and create a real Master Blaster FG blocking monster. That's right, I went Thunderdome on ya!

Zach Banner cannot play in this league on the outside...he doesn't have the foot quickness or agility to handle athletic burst from DEs in the league. That's why he was cut from an OL needy team.

The colts for some foolish reason selected him in the 4th round and were so disappointed by his play that they cut him.

Good RT run blocker but gets killed in the pass....

Absolutely destroyed at the senior bowl in one on ones...

Staff mustve interacted with him and believe he will work at his quickness and footwork,or they think he could add run blocking destruction in a 6 OL set or 5 BIG OL TE Set...if that's the case they are correct..

Really funny story about OL Travis Averill out of Boise State.....at the senior bowl my brother-in-law told me (paraphrasing) "there's a guard out of Boise that is a carbon copy of Kevin Zeitler but with better feet and less power..." I didn't look into him as he was one of the many names that I disregarded in favor of others that my boi and coworkers suggested I look into.

All these months later...we sign him.

I have yet to watch any tape of him but my boi and his teams assistant OL wanted him late rounds but based on their board went a different direction and ultimately lost out for his services as a UFA...

Guess I'll actually have to watch some tape of his now....lol

There's no way this is true

Potential trade enabler: Some teams aren't valuing draft picks as much

While the rebuilding Browns have stockpiled draft choices in an effort to go young, the reloading Patriots have increasingly traded picks for veterans such as Kony EalyBrandin Cooks and Dwayne Allen. Ealy has already been released, but in an era in which limited practice opportunities work against player development, there's a case to be made for adding proven NFL talent. The Browns drafted 14 players in 2016. They'll be fortunate if more than a couple pan out.

"Draft picks are becoming less valuable across the board," an exec said.

Picks are still valuable, of course, but if they are no longer sacred, another potential impediment to trades is diminished.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20566561/the-many-theories-nfl-trade-explosion-2017

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think draft picks have become wayyy overrated the last 10 years. Picks have been treated like gold. Some teams value the actual pick more than an actual player. So maybe they're just coming back down to earth. 

35 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Zach Banner cannot play in this league on the outside...he doesn't have the foot quickness or agility to handle athletic burst from DEs in the league. That's why he was cut from an OL needy team.

The colts for some foolish reason selected him in the 4th round and were so disappointed by his play that they cut him.

Staff mustve interacted with him and believe he will work at his quickness and footwork,or they think he could add run blocking destruction in a 6 OL set or 5 BIG OL TE Set...if that's the case they are correct..

Man was born to play fullback. 

4 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Glad that the exec is not working for the Browns.  I love our draft strategy.

I think the strategy is contingent on the type of team you have. A young team working their way up, like the Browns, the draft picks are more valuable. Now if im New England, winning today is paramount. Those late round picks probably won't make the 53.

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The trade explosion is largely explained by flexibility in thinking as it relates to what's been done traditionally versus newer ways to exchange value/capital given the CBA.

In terms of the draft picks, it's the same as it's always been. A lot of early round picks is good a lot of late round picks is whatever...

I'd argue early draft picks are becoming more valuable especially in the advent of spread offense and the defensive scheme response. As a result, later round players are not only less talented but less prepared to encounter pro concepts; therefore, placing a premium on the more talented and pro concept familiar players likely to be taken earlier in the draft.

I'd also argue that later round draft picks are indeed becoming less valuable...

Take-aways from the article are bipolar...good or bad...and fail to really analyze the various dimensions of draft capital...

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/colts-release-zach-banner

Ha, PFF says you're an idiot.

I think he's a fatazz who need to lose 50 lbs and stop looking like the poster child for early onset diabetes. 

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/colts-release-zach-banner

Ha, PFF says you're an idiot.

I think he's a fatazz who need to lose 50 lbs and stop looking like the poster child for early onset diabetes. 

What?

I don't think that article says that about me at all.

He was absolutely destroyed in 1 on 1's at the senior bowl. I saw it with my own eyes and others agreed with me. 1 on 1s have to do with natural pass blocking ability on an island. It was bad for him. I don't care what PFF grades (What's the sample size of snaps? And against who?) in 28 or so preseason snaps and says he was "good" at pass blocking in the preseason. He is not a good pass blocker. Period.

The colts still run some elements of zone and the zone stretch...Banner is the last athlete in the nfl to be able to move people that way...so I'm sure he struggled.

He was good (not great) at run blocking at USC.

I haven't watched him in the preseason, and I don't care what PFF says about preseason grading. Based on what I saw in college and senior bowl I still feel like "Zach Banner cannot play in this league on the outside...he doesn't have the foot quickness or agility to handle athletic burst from DEs in the league."

That's in the pass and in the run.

40 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

I think the strategy is contingent on the type of team you have. A young team working their way up, like the Browns, the draft picks are more valuable. Now if im New England, winning today is paramount. Those late round picks probably won't make the 53.

very good, and valid point.

Archived