The New Season

Bonanza23

4 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this season.

The seemingly universal expectations are more than a bit overboard, imho.

They do not need to win 12-13 games to take the AFC.

10-6 probably will take the division, allowing for growing pains, and get them to the dance, hopefully with some momentum from a second-half-of-the-season surge.

I do not buy the hype but I am not doubting success this season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Just win the AFC North and then go from there. I’m not too caught up in the win total, just do better than the other three teams in your division and you are in good shape.

I'm still at the "I'll be happy to qualify for the playoffs however it happens" stage. I think we have the talent and coaching to be a favorite but gotta see it in action before I completely buy in. I do think that as long as Mayfield holds up his end of the bargain we'll be playoff bound even if we give up 6 yards per carry on defense and run a zone heavy defense with man personnel. We'll be good with leads (should) and have the offense to get leads.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm still at the "I'll be happy to qualify for the playoffs however it happens" stage. I think we have the talent and coaching to be a favorite but gotta see it in action before I completely buy in. I do think that as long as Mayfield holds up his end of the bargain we'll be playoff bound even if we give up 6 yards per carry on defense and run a zone heavy defense with man personnel. We'll be good with leads (should) and have the offense to get leads.

This is pretty much where I’m at.

Don’t care about win total, winning the division (it would be nice though), etc.  I just want a playoff game.

I want to win the division badly. I'd rather win the division at 9-7 than be a wild card at 10-6 (unless we beat the division winner in the playoffs in this scenario). I just want to look down at the rest of the division since it's usually their fans that are always clowning our team.

Btw, I get why you guys are generally amicable and peaceful with other fanbases. We haven't done anything yet. We only went 7-8-1, haven't made the playoffs, have a history of ineptitude, blah blah blah.

But if/when we take over this league I want all of you to be as obnoxious as possible. We deserve it. Don't let the other fans off the hook for 20 years of trashing us.

1 hour ago, Vee-Rex said:

Btw, I get why you guys are generally amicable and peaceful with other fanbases. We haven't done anything yet. We only went 7-8-1, haven't made the playoffs, have a history of ineptitude, blah blah blah.

But if/when we take over this league I want all of you to be as obnoxious as possible. We deserve it. Don't let the other fans off the hook for 20 years of trashing us.

Eh, most of the other fans are cool here.  There’s a handful of Ravens and Pats fans I find obnoxious, but most pretty cool.

The Bengals fans here are chill as hell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vee-Rex said:

I want to win the division badly. I'd rather win the division at 9-7 than be a wild card at 10-6 (unless we beat the division winner in the playoffs in this scenario). I just want to look down at the rest of the division since it's usually their fans that are always clowning our team.

Not to mention getting a home playoff game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vee-Rex said:

I don't know how to be obnoxious.  

Despite what my family might tell you.  :$

I'm a much bigger fan of being a magnanamous winner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I don't know how to be obnoxious.  

Despite what my family might tell you.  :$

I'm a much bigger fan of being a magnanamous winner.

It takes all kinds and even if it doesn't we still are all kinds so we'll have some doing one thing and others doing another. If we win I'll do what I feel like doing as should everyone else. I certainly don't want to be burdened with having to or being expected to be a certain kind of fan, I do this for entertainment/enjoyment so I'll react in a way that comes naturally because that is the easiest way to do it and heck, it is kind of the personality of the team.

I'm with you though, except to your family I'm not obnoxious because, well, they don't know me. I'm not going to go out of my way to be a jerk, I get no satisfaction from that. Some do I'm sure and there are jerks in every fan base so not only is it likely to happen it should be expected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vee-Rex said:

Paul Brown Quotes

"When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less."

• Like 1

The article in the link below bothers me.

The projections are in line with a lot of what I have read based on Mayfield's alleged "gunslinger" mentality.

QBs who will take lower probability of success shots when there are higher probability of success opportunities all over the field are stupid, imho.

We will have multiple higher probability of success opportunities all over the field.

I would prefer that Mayfield grow into a surgeon who takes advantage of them and carves opponents up.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/08/fantasy-corner-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-projections/

Edited by bruceb
Forgot the link

37 minutes ago, bruceb said:

The article in the link below bothers me.

The projections are in line with a lot of what I have read based on Mayfield's alleged "gunslinger" mentality.

QBs who will take lower probability of success shots when there are higher probability of success opportunities all over the field are stupid, imho.

We will have multiple higher probability of success opportunities all over the field.

I would prefer that Mayfield grow into a surgeon who takes advantage of them and carves opponents up.

But his gunslinger mentality  that’s part of why baker is as good as he is 

11 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

But his gunslinger mentality  that’s part of why baker is as good as he is 

I think a more disciplined, calculating Mayfield would be even better.

Home run plays can be deflating.

Constant punches to the midsection are debilitating.