Ryan Kerrigan Is Closing In On The Redskins' All-Time Sacks Record

turtle28

With His Signature Celebration, Ryan Kerrigan Is Closing In On The Redskins' All-Time Sacks Record

https://www.redskins.com/news/with-his-signature-celebration-ryan-kerrigan-is-closing-in-on-the-redskins-all-t

Kerrigan has performed that dance after every sack since as he’s risen the franchise’s sacks leaderboard. With 84.5 career sacks, Kerrigan is seven away from passing Dexter Manley as the team’s all-time sacks leader. He’s recorded 13.0 sacks in each of the past two seasons and has averaged more than 10 quarterback takedowns per year since entering the NFL in 2011.

Kerrigan said his preparation has changed since joining the Redskins about eight years ago. Many NFL teams have shifted toward relying on their pass game, and quarterbacks are getting the ball out of their hands quicker, so Kerrigan has adjusted to defending versatile offenses.

Should he stay with Washington for his entire career (and he keeps playing at this level), they might be able to push him into the HoF, but it's going to be a big lift since he's not a vocal/visible kind of player. Still, it would be worth it because he is deserving and a good guy to boot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Woz said:

Should he stay with Washington for his entire career (and he keeps playing at this level), they might be able to push him into the HoF, but it's going to be a big lift since he's not a vocal/visible kind of player. Still, it would be worth it because he is deserving and a good guy to boot.

I love Ryan Kerrigan, but he’s never been one of the top players in the nfl at any point in his career.  To me that isn’t worthy of HOF.  He’s a ring of honor kind of guy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I love Ryan Kerrigan, but he’s never been one of the top players in the nfl at any point in his career.  To me that isn’t worthy of HOF.  He’s a ring of honor kind of guy.

I kind of think of him in the same vein as Art Monk. He just does his job and does it well. Like I said, should he continue to play at this level, his stats will probably be worthy, but because of what you just said (and that is probably true around the league), it will be a hard lift. Same as it was for Monk.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Let’s see if he can keep doing his thing like he has but with a guy like Sweat on the other side!!! Von, JJ, Aldon Smithall the other guys had their stunts on great defenses with good compliments Ryan Deserves his I think this is his window

im not saying he’s those guys but I do believe he isn’t far off!! He’s a worker put him on a squad let’s see.

Edited by ripsean21

So I was curious about pass rushers and who is in/out of the HOF.  Kerrigan currently has 84.5 sacks and he turns 31 in August.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_sacks_leaders 

These are the guys with over 100 career sacks who aren't in the HOF:

#4, Julius Peppers - 159.5 - not eligible until 2024

#8, Demarcus Ware - 138.5 - not eligible until 2022

#11, Jared Allen - 136 - not eligible until 2021

#12, John Abraham - 133.5 - not eligible until 2020

Tied #13, Leslie O'neal - 132.5

Tied #13, Terrell Suggs - 132.5 - still active

#18, Dwight Freeney - 125.5 - not eligible until 2023

#19, Robert Mathis - 123 - not eligible until 2022

#20, Simeon Rice - 122 

#21, Clyde Simmons - 121.5 

#22, Sean Jones - 113

#23, Greg Townsend - 109.5

#24, Pat Swilling - 107.5

#25, Trace Armstrong - 106

#26, Elvis Dumervil - 105.5 - not eligible until 2023

Tied #27, Neil Smith - 104.5

Tied #27, Kevin Cart - 104.5

#29, Jim Jeffcoat - 102.5

#30, William Fuller - 100.5

There are some guys below 100 sacks that are in the HOF but they are loaded with Super Bowl wins and/or All Pros, neither of which Kerrigan have.  

Looking at the name on that list that aren't in yet, the sweet spot to me looks like around 125 career sacks to really be deserving.  Kerrigan is 40.5 sacks short of that number.  He's averaged around 12 sacks the past 5 years, but aging lets say he averages 10.  Can he do 10 sacks a year for another 4 years?  Maybe.  If he does I think he gets serious consideration.  Otherwise he just doesn't have the accolades on a crappy team his whole career to be elected IMO.

40 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Can he do 10 sacks a year for another 4 years?  Maybe.  If he does I think he gets serious consideration. 

Should he do that with Washington, he'll also benefit from the voter in the room (hopefully) pounding the desk for him like the Indianapolis voter will do for Mathis and (to a slightly lesser extent) Freeney.

As I said, however, he'll need to maintain the high level. Freeney got his last 18.0 sacks his final five years (spread across Indianapolis, San Diego (two years), Arizona, Atlanta, and Seattle/Detroit).

• Like 1