How good will prime Zion be?

11sanchez11

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

I would have taken Griffin over Zion if they were in the same draft. Zion NEEDS to slim down.

Really? While I'm sure there are people that would, I dunno if that would be the majority? I dunno, could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Griffin was a monster in college but Zion was younger, better and has a higher defensive ceiling. Blake was taller but not nearly as mobile.

And this is where I think we've let ourselves forget what Blake Griffin was and are now judging him based on his time in the NBA whereas we haven't had the time to do the same for Zion so of course he's going to appear better when he has yet to play in the pros.

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

And this is where I think we've let ourselves forget what Blake Griffin was and are now judging him based on his time in the NBA whereas we haven't had the time to do the same for Zion so of course he's going to appear better when he has yet to play in the pros.

What part of what I said was wrong or in hindsight?

My claims

Zion was younger: He was a freshman. Blake left as a sophomore. Zion was 18 when he was drafted. Blake was 20.

Zion was better: People aren't saying he had the best season in years/decades for nothing. He won Player of the Year as a Freshman. Blake did it as a Sophomore. He averaged 0.1 less ppg in 3.3 less mpg. He had a lower usage rating. His FG% was higher. His TS% was higher. His FT% was higher. He had a lower 3pt % but also took 71 as opposed to 8. He averaged more blocks and steals. He turned it over less. His advanced numbers absolutely smack Blake. His offensive BPM was better than Blake's Sophomore total and Zion's defensive BPM was higher than Blake's freshman total.

Zion has a higher defensive ceiling: Blake Griffin has t-rex arms. He averaged 0.8 and 1.2 bpg in college. Zion had 10 less this year than Blake did in his NCAA career. Zion is projected to be a plus defender in the NBA. The same was not said about Blake Griffin. Zion moves better than Griffin did. They were both tremendous athletes but Zion is clearly quicker laterally.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Griffin was a great prospect but I feel like Zions floor is Blake Griffin barring injuries. His size and athleticism alone will slow him to score 18-20 a night in his prime, he’s going to be a better defender and rebounder than Blake too.

If his floor is Blake Griffin, then he's the greatest prospect of all time and it's not even close. 

• Like 2

Just now, 49er pride said:

If his floor is Blake Griffin, then he's the greatest prospect of all time and it's not even close. 

I just don’t see how he doesn’t reach that level barring injury. Griffin, much like Zion, relied heavily on his strength and athleticism. Except Zion is probably more explosive, and bigger obviously. Griffins jumper was as bad as Zions, it not worse coming into the league and he’s developed it. The biggest differences to me are Blake is a better ball handler but Zion will be a way better defender

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 49er pride said:

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I just don’t see how Zion doesn’t average 20/10 his rookie year like Blake did. Not saying it’ll be the most impactful stat line but in today’s NBA? If he gets the minutes and patience afforded to a #1 pick who piled up stats as a freshmen, then yeah.