Fans of teams with no geographic ties: Why do you root for your team?

Elky

The perfect storm, no pun intended.

In 2003-2004 my dad ordered some Seahawks gear from NFL.com. I was in 7th-8th grade at the time. Instead of the Seahawks gear my dad ordered they sent a long sleeve t-shirt, stylized like a Drew Brees Charger's jersey, and it happened to be in my size. My dad called customer support, they told us just keep the Brees shirt and re-sent his Seahawks order. I wasn't a Chargers fan, but became a Brees fan at that moment. Cause I ain't no poser that wears a mans jersey without being a true fan.

Between 8th grade and my freshman year (Summer/Fall 2005) I got into football. I rooted for the local team (Seahawks) like my dad, but also started rooting for Brees. I started watching college football and took a liking to Reggie Bush. I had NCAA Football on my Razr flip phone. The game was broken, RB Sweep with Reggie Bush you score every time. I was sure, based on NCAA's mobile's rendition of Reggie Bush that he was going to be the best RB of all time (remember I'm 14). 

This kid named David started the freshman year with us. Our graduating class was only 44 kids so a new kid stands out like a sore thumb. We had 4 of 5 classes together our first trimester so we became fast friends. David moved here because he'd been displaced by Katrina and he was a huge Saints fan. I started half rooting for the Saints as a comeback story and because my new friend David was a diehard fan. Couple of months later the Saints sign my favorite non-Seahawk player, Drew Brees. After that the Saints sign my favorite player of all time (at the time) Reggie Bush. 

Between David, Drew and Reggie there was no way I wasn't all in on the Saints at that point.

David moved back to Louisiana after that year and I never talked to him again, but he's probably the biggest reason I'm a fan of what has become my biggest hobby. That and pure coincidence. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 3

For me it’s Vikings 1a Raiders 1b.  I started rooting for both teams because they were good when I first started watching sports in the late 90s / early 2000s and I had no interest at all in being a Cowboys fan like everyone else around here.  Looking back, it turned out to be a great decision

Born and raised in Wisconsin (Packer country), never really got into football early on because my dad and my maternal grandfather were both huge baseball fans. 

While I was in middle school the Packers won 10 games for the first time in what seemed like forever. Don Majkowski and Sterling Sharpe were whipping people up in a frenzy of hope for a future. I didn’t care. 

My sophomore year of high school was the year the Packers finished 4-12, and the Colts went 1-15. Due to the Jeff George trade the Colts managed to have the first 2 picks in the draft. I wouldn’t say that I became a die hard Colts fan at that point in time, I just became a follower which grew with the Jim Harbaugh era and then became fanatical with the Manning era and thus culminating in joining FF in December of 2004

• Like 2

A couple of things played into me being a 49er fan. One, I have this tendency, even when I was young, to root for teams proximate to my location, but not at my location (I've never even been to SF, much less lived there).  Secondarily, when I was just old enough to start getting into football, it was the late 80s (I was 8 in 89), and the 49ers were THE TEAM at that time. Combine that with living in San Diego, and boom, I became a Niners fan (and a Giants fan in baseball). A few years later, I moved to Philadelphia, and that place is a year round sports love fest. That's when I first started learning about hockey, playing it, following it, etc. All my friends were Flyer fans, so naturally, I became a New Jersey Devils fan. 

• Like 4

As a Europeon, I've had zero geographical pre-disposition to choosing an NFL team initially, though you can say that geography eventually played a part in me becoming a Patriots fan.

I got into football around the same time I got into reading H. P. Lovecraft. His depiction of and enthusiasm (yeah, not that part) for the New England area made me choose the Bostonians.

This was around 2006, the high time for Patriots bandwagoning, so nobody believes this, of course. Maybe righfully.

• Like 3

Born and raised in Texas. I wasn't really a fan of the nfl in general until 2003 when I witnessed Brian Dawkins and the Eagles. Dude was everything you could want from a spectator sports player. Charismatic, intimidating, and a monster at his position.

• Like 1

When I was just learning how to read (5th or 6th grade!) I read a biography on Barry Sanders that said he might be one of the greatest RBs of all time. I thought to myself, if they have one of the greatest RBs of all time, they must be good!

What a fool I was/am...

• Like 2

Born and raised in Delaware and grew been a fan of the Titans since like 01 when I first started getting into sports. Thought there jerseys were the best in the league and McNair and George were two of my favorite players in the league. No other connection outside of that. Live in a heavy Eagle, Raven, Redskin, and Cowboy fan area but never liked any of them.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:07 AM, Daimonas said:

Born and raised in Texas. I wasn't really a fan of the nfl in general until 2003 when I witnessed Brian Dawkins and the Eagles. Dude was everything you could want from a spectator sports player. Charismatic, intimidating, and a monster at his position.

This.... but California instead of Texas.

• Like 1