Fans of teams with no geographic ties: Why do you root for your team?

Elky

I'm a Browns fan from Ohio.

...but to answer the question, I am a Miami Hurricane fan in Ohio as well. I loved them because they had awesome uniforms and all my favorite NFL players were from there. And they were just freaking so awesome. I love their brashness and their aggressive nature. Just in your face, will kick your teeth down your throat, and then tell you why you suck.

Rams fan and have always lived in Ohio.

My dad picked the Rams back in 1966 when he was a kid (they were on TV even here in Ohio). He stayed a diehard fan through the first move. I got into football in the 90s and really started rooting for the Rams in 1998 - obviously then 1999 happened and football became my favorite sport (prior to that it had been basketball).

What's ironic is I'm a Cavs and Indians fan - never much liked the Browns though. I live in Columbus, so two hours from Cleveland, but lots of Browns fans here. I remember the move and how hated Art Model was. I actually went to their first game back in 1999 with my dad.

We used to drive to a game every year in St. Louis, but we're glad they're back in LA. Feels right for my dad. Also, I like watching the 1pm games and being able to flip around.

What's even more ironic is that the Rams originated in Cleveland, so I could just tell people my family have been fans for 75 years..

I always picked a favorite player, and that players team became my team, even if the player eventually left.

Reggie White - Eagles 

Jose Canseco - A's (Later became a Dodger fan after going to several Dodger games as a kid though)

Brett Hull - Blues

David Robinson - Spurs

Edited by Jeezla

Born in upstate NY, kinda between Bills and Giants country. Started watching football in ‘95 when the Jags and Panthers came into the league. I followed both of them for a bit, but gravitated towards the Jaguars quickly, even before they showed any signs of being good. I really liked mobile QBs for some reason, and Brunell was one of the best ones at the time.

australian here

when i was younger in about 2005 or so i borrowed madden from blockbuster for my playstation and played as the steelers because i thought their logo and colours were cool... so when i got in to the league properly years later i went back to the roots 

I'm from the east coast of Canada. 

I went with Green Bay because:

1. I wanted a team that was in the North and wasn't too far west. 

2. I'm normally a Toronto fan when it comes to Hockey or Basketball and Green Bay isn't too far from there.

3. My brother and sister (who got me into Football) had already picked two teams from the AFC North, so that was out of the question. The AFC East and NFC East were out of the question aswell.

4. When I brought up Green Bay, they mentioned how much they like Rodgers.

5. I'm a Heavy Metal fan and Clay Matthews reminded me of someone you'd see in a Swedish band.

6. You don't have to go looking for the average Green Bay games, they air quite regularly throughout the season on primetime TV.

I'm sure there's a few other reasons, but those are the ones I can think of.

Edited by Hail Mary
  • Like 1

I am Spanish and started watching the NFL in 2007. I decided the best way to learn more about the game was rooting for a team, so because my name is Luis and my nickname "rams" because I used to like the band Rammstein a lot when I was a teenager, I chose the St Louis Rams. So yeah, my first 10 years following the NFL were all losing records lol. 

• Like 1

I'm in England, but chose the Bears after I had a dream I was lost in Illinois and I loved it, I was obsessed with Illinois for a couple of weeks, even though I doubt I'd ever even thought about the place in my previous (at that time) 18 years on Earth. I then randomly watched the 2008 Superbowl for no reason and was completely drawn in. I asked a friend if Illinois had a team, he told me they did, and I've been in love with the Chicago Bears ever since. 

• Like 1

Starting watching football around 1973-74ish when the Dolphins were winning Super Bowls. There was no NFL team in my east coast home state then (this was before even the Seahawks or Buccaneers existed, only 26 teams in the league) so with no local team to follow everyone I knew just picked one of the popular teams of that era because they were always on TV. I liked the Dolphins but my neighbor liked the Cowboys, another kid liked the Steelers, another the Redskins.

Hmm, now that I think about it, that was basically the only four teams that anyone I knew rooted for back then: Dolphins, Cowboys, Steelers, Redskins. 

Growing up, I was just an NFL fan in general as my friends and I would play football outside, play NFL Blitz and watch a bit of games that our parents had on. I didn’t feel the need to pick a team quickly, so I just continued watching for a couple years.

I was always heavily drawn to the NFC North because of how badass those teams were. GB played in a frozen tundra and had great uniforms and were led by Brett Favre, the Bears were this team of legend that even made their way into my junior high English classes on multiple occasions, the Vikings had Randy Moss and Cris Carter, and the Lions had Barry Sanders.

I can’t tell you why I ended up a Minnesota fan over the others. I still really really like everything about the Packers and Bears (the Lions have kinda just been there since Barry left).

• Like 1

Family all born and raised in California. My Father is a Chiefs fan, huge fan of Christian Okoye, my middle name is Christian named after The Nigerian Nightmare. 

Plus my stepdad was a charger fan, and i hated him growing up, so always fun having some family rivalry