How long do you give Flacco before Drew gets his chance?

PFM18

Personally I hope Flacco is the starter for the whole of this season at least if not longer. b

Sure he got injured last season meaning Lamar Jackson came in and went on a big winning streak and took Flacco's job but I honestly believe Drew would benefit from sitting behind Joe and learning for the long term.

Flacco can still play in this league and I have a whole lot more optimism with Joe at the wheel than Case last year. 

Also with Elway's recent track record of picking QB's, I'd want to give Drew as much time as possible to learn before starting him. He could turn out to be an inspired selection and our future for the next so many years but let's give him every opportunity to develop. 

Of course if Joe stinks out the joint then the clamours will come in. I don't believe he will though and will manage us to comfortable, progressive record as we look to continue rebuilding the team. 

8-10 games. He'll get injured by then because of Garrett Bolles or James misses time and the replacement blows.

Even when healthy, I think he'll only be an RCH better than Case Keenum

Then Lock will fall on his face just like I think he will and then it's all about our next pick.Lock is going to be the new Jeff George at best.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

The Coaches right now will be (correctly) saying that Joe is our starter for the full year, no matter what. From what I gather, Lock has got plenty to work on and isn't close to be ready to start. This happens every time a rookie QB is drafted and there is a veteran in place on the roster. 

But then, like in every other instance, when the veteran is awful fans start clamouring for the young QB. That's when you start hearing;

"It would be good to take the lumps now whilst we're rubbish"
"He can't be any worse than <insert veteran here>"
"Why take a QB in the 2nd round if you aren't going to play him?"

Etc, etc, etc.

The fact is, if we're good then Flacco stays at QB (duh, I know). If we're bad, Flacco stays until we're absolutely out of the playoff picture at which point, the Coaching staff will do very well to resist having Lock play.

If I was a betting man, I would say Lock is getting game time around week 14/15.

• Like 4

Agreed George, it's going to be completely based on our playoff standing. Flacco is basically on a one-year trial deal at the moment. If he's god awful, we move on and free up a bunch of cap room next year. If he performs well, we can act accordingly. Lock will be waiting in the wings regardless. He'll have an opportunity whether it be through a Flacco injury (not a completely unlikely scenario, IMO), or just ineffective play. 

Ultimately, though, I don't think you can out a game target on it. Let's see what Flacco does and how Lock progresses through training camp.

• Like 3

Barring injury, Flacco will be the starter until we are out of the playoff picture, and only then.   Then it will be based on how well he's playing, the most likely scenario that he's not our long-term scenario (but let's keep an open mind, in case the <10th percentile outcome happens lol).   Assuming the likely outcome plays out re: Flacco's future, then sure, Lock's going to get a chance.  But only once 2019 is basically out of the picture playoffs wise.   

Any talk about Lock taking over before we're officially eliminated just doesn't mesh with everything the org & Elway have done this offseason.   I don't think much of our chances to make the playoffs, but I also understand if you are going to go this route, it's silly to cut bait on the stopgap QB while those chances are still in play.   

Fans who point to Flacco/BAL and say it could happen in DEN don't recognize what led to the decision - Lamar's skills presented the ability to radically change the O to a more power-run read-option, based team that could give D's different looks, where Flacco's O was too predictable, and not enough of a passing threat to make that O succeed (as they really just loaded the box and took away the run, and Flacco & the receivers couldn't make the D's pay - Jackson's running ability and read-option, but as a power run team, really confused teams until LAC played them, and showed D's how to take it away).   

Lock's talent level doesn't fundamentally change an O's ability to become a totally different looking O.   Whether he succeeds or fails, Lock won't change an O (or more importantly, drastically change how a D plays that O like Lamar did with BAL).  Playing Lock is really a nod to starting to evaluate whether he's the franchise guy from 2020+.   So it only makes sense when 2019's books are officially closed.    I suspect it will be sometime in December, as @lomaxgrUK pointed out, it's more about our playoff chances disappearing than anything else (barring injury).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 9:27 AM, PFM18 said:

Personally I hope Flacco is the starter for the whole of this season at least if not longer. b

Sure he got injured last season meaning Lamar Jackson came in and went on a big winning streak and took Flacco's job but I honestly believe Drew would benefit from sitting behind Joe and learning for the long term.

Flacco can still play in this league and I have a whole lot more optimism with Joe at the wheel than Case last year. 

Also with Elway's recent track record of picking QB's, I'd want to give Drew as much time as possible to learn before starting him. He could turn out to be an inspired selection and our future for the next so many years but let's give him every opportunity to develop. 

Of course if Joe stinks out the joint then the clamours will come in. I don't believe he will though and will manage us to comfortable, progressive record as we look to continue rebuilding the team. 

I agree pretty much. Personally I think the next big QB controversy will be in 2/3 years when we have to decide whether or not to extend Flacco and give Drew a shot.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:42 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

The Coaches right now will be (correctly) saying that Joe is our starter for the full year, no matter what. From what I gather, Lock has got plenty to work on and isn't close to be ready to start. This happens every time a rookie QB is drafted and there is a veteran in place on the roster. 

But then, like in every other instance, when the veteran is awful fans start clamouring for the young QB. That's when you start hearing;

"It would be good to take the lumps now whilst we're rubbish"
"He can't be any worse than <insert veteran here>"
"Why take a QB in the 2nd round if you aren't going to play him?"

Etc, etc, etc.

The fact is, if we're good then Flacco stays at QB (duh, I know). If we're bad, Flacco stays until we're absolutely out of the playoff picture at which point, the Coaching staff will do very well to resist having Lock play.

If I was a betting man, I would say Lock is getting game time around week 14/15.

we've been through this together, what, three times now? maybe 4 

• Like 1

Well considering Lock is already being a pain in the butt and wants premium QB money as a second round pick and may miss some or all of training camp. I’ll go with Starting Flacco all year and seeing what Rypien has if Flacco gets hurt or plays poorly.

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

Well considering Lock is already being a pain in the butt and wants premium QB money as a second round pick and may miss some or all of training camp. I’ll go with Starting Flacco all year and seeing what Rypien has if Flacco gets hurt or plays poorly.

I hadn't heard that. I thought drafted guys were kinda slotted as far as pay, not much negotiating wiggle room.

56 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I hadn't heard that. I thought drafted guys were kinda slotted as far as pay, not much negotiating wiggle room.

Also Risner hasn’t signed because his agents want him to get more than Lock since he was picked a pick ahead of him. So Lock is affecting us getting both into camp. That’s ridiculous.