How long do you give Flacco before Drew gets his chance?

PFM18

On 7/18/2019 at 10:13 AM, champ11 said:

They should not keep Hogan on the roster. If there are injuries you can sign a non-NFL QB off the street 

He's  not gonna make the final 53. I have a feeling he's only on the roster right now to coach up the two young qbs. Flacco has to get ready for a season. Hogan I think is good for two rookie qbs.

And I totally agree if Lock becomes Cutler sign me up. 

People forget that in 2008, we went 8-8 with quite possibly the worst defense in franchise history and all of the RBs going on IR. Cutler (along with a good offensive line and decent weapons) was the only reason we were competitive that year. If we can get the Denver Cutler (with a much better attitude) out of Lock, I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

People forget that in 2008, we went 8-8 with quite possibly the worst defense in franchise history and all of the RBs going on IR. Cutler (along with a good offensive line and decent weapons) was the only reason we were competitive that year. If we can get the Denver Cutler (with a much better attitude) out of Lock, I'll be happy. 

I have not forgotten that. Marquan manuel, and Quentin  Jammer as the worst safety duo in the nfl. 

That last game Rivers torched them. They signed Tatum Bell for the week 16 game.

I just think it's a totally different nfl than it was in 2008. The depth on the oline scares me . The zbs scheme as a whole scares me.

If it is indeed antiquated how far set back is this team??? Because chop blocks made that scheme very successful.  And the Matt Ryan Atlanta offenses seems more of an aberration. 

42 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I have not forgotten that. Marquan manuel, and Quentin  Jammer as the worst safety duo in the nfl. 

That last game Rivers torched them. They signed Tatum Bell for the week 16 game.

I just think it's a totally different nfl than it was in 2008. The depth on the oline scares me . The zbs scheme as a whole scares me.

If it is indeed antiquated how far set back is this team??? Because chop blocks made that scheme very successful.  And the Matt Ryan Atlanta offenses seems more of an aberration. 

Where did you get the idea that a ZBS is antiquated?

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Just an opinion.  It seems to require smaller more athletic guards to get to the second level. We have the athletic tackles. 

I just feel like our offensive scheme whether it be from kubiak to Shanahan.  Has a hard time passing the football when down big more than two scores or in Kyle Shanahan's case running the football when up big (pats) superbowl. 

Maybe it's not the blocking schemes and just the offenses.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:42 AM, AKRNA said:

I don’t think it’s antiquated, but definitely think it’s much more difficult to accomplish in today’s NFL than say from the 90s to mid 2000s.  They’ve put in place rules on cut blocking and NFL defensive lineman are getting more explosive by the year and being able to penetrate a zone blocking run play is what kills it.

Every team in the NFL runs a combination of both zone and power.  Some leaning more heavily on zone and others more power, Denver will be more heavily zone.

The interesting part with Denver is this is probably the best OL Elway has put together on paper and even PFF thinks so ranking them the 12th best OL going into the season (Broncos fans have always trashed the OL and they haven’t been great, but they haven’t been near as bad as made out to be) We will see if it comes to fruition, but Munchak is about as good as it gets when it comes to coaching the OL so I think Denver fields as good of an OL as we’ve seen in a decade.

I will add, however, Denver’s depth looks a bit thin should (more likely when) injuries occur to that unit.  Wilkinson has experience at both OG and OT, Sam Jones at OG/OC, but I’ve been reading that Barclay and another OG I haven’t heard of have been the 2 players spelling Leary as he recovers from the torn achilles.  To counter that, though, Risner has been one of the best graded RT’s in the history of PFF and James has some experience at LT, so Denver could get creative in its ability to replace injuries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I don’t think it’s antiquated, but definitely think it’s much more difficult to accomplish in today’s NFL than say from the 90s to mid 2000s.  They’ve put in place rules on cut blocking and NFL defensive lineman are getting more explosive by the year and being able to penetrate a zone blocking run play is what kills it.

Every team in the NFL runs a combination of both zone and power.  Some leaning more heavily on zone and others more power, Denver will be more heavily zone.

The interesting part with Denver is this is probably the best OL Elway has put together on paper and even PFF thinks so ranking them the 12th best OL going into the season (Broncos fans have always trashed the OL and they haven’t been great, but they haven’t been near as bad as made out to be) We will see if it comes to fruition, but Munchak is about as good as it gets when it comes to coaching the OL so I think Denver fields as good of an OL as we’ve seen in a decade.

I will add, however, Denver’s depth looks a bit thin should (more likely when) injuries occur to that unit.  Wilkinson has experience at both OG and OT, Sam Jones at OG/OC, but I’ve been reading that Barclay and another OG I haven’t heard of have been the 2 players spelling Leary as he recovers from the torn achilles.  To counter that, though, Risner has been one of the best graded RT’s in the history of PFF and James has some experience at LT, so Denver could get creative in its ability to replace injuries.

I read that Wilkinson's been backing up both OT's. Brendel , Barclay and Jones seem to be backing up the IOL in no specific order. Brendel's been floating around the NFL for a few years.

Schlottmans a year away but is a pretty good guy to have on the PS.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:44 PM, thebestever6 said:

Oh I agree, I worry about him having it in between the ears as well. There just seems to be something missing with him. I don't know if it's spatial ability, he just doesn't play with a rhythm it honestly seemed like the college game was too fast for him. 

I see that same Florida play over and over and yes that was a beautiful play but it was few a far between. 

Could somebody link this play vs. Florida everybody seems to be talking about? Lol

I really like Lock.  Elway has drafted arguably the most physically talented QB in the draft 3x now (Osweiler, Lynch, Lock) and Lock is fat and away physically more talented than Osweiler/Lynch.  6’4” 230 pounders with an at worst borderline elite arm with 4.61 speed don’t grow on trees.  

Obviously at the NFL level physical talent doesn’t translate to success, but Lock didn’t have an easy college career.  He played on terrible teams at Missouri.  He also played in the SEC.  He had IIRC, 3 (maybe 4) different OCs in his career.  I love the fact that he still improved every season and this past season with a more NFL style OC instead of the spread college crap.  

He may not succeed and he still needs development.  But he’s no doubt a tough competitor that has dealt with change/adversity.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I really like Lock.  Elway has drafted arguably the most physically talented QB in the draft 3x now (Osweiler, Lynch, Lock) and Lock is fat and away physically more talented than Osweiler/Lynch.  6’4” 230 pounders with an at worst borderline elite arm with 4.61 speed don’t grow on trees.  

Obviously at the NFL level physical talent doesn’t translate to success, but Lock didn’t have an easy college career.  He played on terrible teams at Missouri.  He also played in the SEC.  He had IIRC, 3 (maybe 4) different OCs in his career.  I love the fact that he still improved every season and this past season with a more NFL style OC instead of the spread college crap.  

He may not succeed and he still needs development.  But he’s no doubt a tough competitor that has dealt with change/adversity.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rypien at #2 this year. Fangio came as close to a compliment as I've heard him when referring to a rookie. Said he just might have a future in the NFL.

I'm really starting to like Fangio, alot.

14 hours ago, germ-x said:

A guy named Drew Lock has to be a good NFL QB. Book it! 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:22 PM, AKRNA said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rypien at #2 this year. Fangio came as close to a compliment as I've heard him when referring to a rookie. Said he just might have a future in the NFL.

I'm really starting to like Fangio, alot.

Where did this come from? The guy hasn't even had enough reps to make a judgement on him one way or another.