How long do you give Flacco before Drew gets his chance?

PFM18

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

Where did this come from? The guy hasn't even had enough reps to make a judgement on him one way or another.

Right off the Bronco's web site, daily camp reports. He's also taken quite a few snaps with the 2's and I think even a few with the ones.

The reality is that the HOF game is going to showcase very little, if any Flacco, usually most teams don't go more than the opening series with the extra game.  So it's more going to be the Hogan/Lock/Rypien show, likely as early as after the 1st series.  As such, I wouldn't get too fussed into what's happening this week or next snap-wise, given the Broncos and Falcons are getting an extra week of practice in. 

Honestly, right now it's more about not getting hurt.   By mid-August, I do want to see how ppl are doing in position battles - and I expect success in the 2H of games, given the quality of competition is 2nd/3rd string opposition, and for O players given that the D's are usually vanilla-based, and little to no blitzing.  It's when you see guys struggle against 2nd/3rd team opposition that you start to worry, if they're expected to be contributors.

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The reality is that the HOF game is going to showcase very little, if any Flacco, usually most teams don't go more than the opening series with the extra game.  So it's more going to be the Hogan/Lock/Rypien show, likely as early as after the 1st series.  As such, I wouldn't get too fussed into what's happening this week or next snap-wise, given the Broncos and Falcons are getting an extra week of practice in. 

Honestly, right now it's more about not getting hurt.   By mid-August, I do want to see how ppl are doing in position battles - and I expect success in the 2H of games, given the quality of competition is 2nd/3rd string opposition, and for O players given that the D's are usually vanilla-based, and little to no blitzing.  It's when you see guys struggle against 2nd/3rd team opposition that you start to worry, if they're expected to be contributors.

A big change this year though is how frequently Fangio tosses in 2nd and 3rd stringers with the ones. It's something I really like. He's doing it with walk ons if they show something in practice. 

I loved it when I saw last week that AJ and Berria were lined up with the ones as our  ILB duo.

13 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

A big change this year though is how frequently Fangio tosses in 2nd and 3rd stringers with the ones. It's something I really like. He's doing it with walk ons if they show something in practice. 

I loved it when I saw last week that AJ and Berria were lined up with the ones as our  ILB duo.

Yeah, that's a strong move to reward good play that day for sure.  I just don't think ppl can read too much into changing the pecking order this early, especially since we are getting almost an extra week of scrimmages and 60 mins of game time over the rest of the league (along with ATL), that's all. 

It definitely instills a culture of great practice.  As we all know though, it has to translate to Sundays/Mondays (and the occasional Thu, although unlikely we sniff too many of those until we return to contention).   Unlike VJ's famous "great week of practice" line, though, at least this is tying actual performance to reward, than just feel-good statements with nothing tangible to justify them.

Edited by Broncofan