"State Champions" 2019-20

PFM18

As we all know, some States house multiple NFL Teams.

So for a bit of fun, the question is, which teams who share a home state will be "State Champion" this season (i.e. who will be the best team/ have a better record in their state this year)

Ohio - Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns

Pick - Browns

• Browns picked up some awesome talent this off season, there is hype surrounding them that I can believe in.
  • Questions about Dalton's ability, and whether he is the player he once was or is he regressing.
  • Both teams have rookie HC's but Kitchens was already with the Browns whereas Zac Taylor is coming in anew to the Bengals.

Maryland - Baltimore Ravens, Washington Redskins

Pick - Ravens

• Lamar Jackson established himself as the starting QB last season, helping Baltimore into the playoffs but did show he has more to learn. Feel he will improve this season.
  • Washington have questions at QB, could be the rookie Haskins, or Case Keenum (Haskins surely). Plus they have Divisional rivals such as Philly and Dallas who will be tough to contend with whereas the Ravens will feel they can contend with anyone in the AFCN.

Pennsylvania - Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers

Pick - Eagles

• Eagles considered one of the top teams in the NFC, and certainly a team that should contend for the NFCE.
  • Steelers coming off a tumultuous off-season losing talent but in the long term this could be a benefit to them. Still expect them to contend. 
  • Eagles are recent SB Champions, and made a run to the Divisional Round last season, before coming across the Saints.

California - Los Angeles Chargers, Los Angeles Rams, Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers

Pick - Chargers

• Will be extremely close between the Chargers and the Rams but going with the Chargers as the window for Phillip Rivers to win a SB is closing fast. The team realizes this and will be going all out to ensure Rivers can finally get a ring. Make no mistake though that the Rams will contend in the NFC, and could certainly be in contention to win the SB themselves. 
  • Anthony Lynn deserves huge credit for the job he done with LAC and although Sean McVay has been taking all the plaudits (deservedly) coming his way, Lynn has also being doing a highly credible job. 
  • Both the 49ers and Raiders are building their franchises for the long term and as of yet cannot contend with their respective divisional and state rivals. 

Texas - Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans

Pick - Tie

• So hard to separate these two teams as they are very similar. Young QB's with a bright future, talent elsewhere on Offence and Defense and both with legitimate chances of winning their respective divisions. 
  • Therefore I believe they will both finish the regular season with the same record, and if that means getting to the playoffs, I can see them getting to the same stage. 

Florida - Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Pick - Jaguars

• Jags overall have a stronger depth roster, and with Nick Foles coming in as QB, the offence should be less hit and miss than under the Blake Bortles era. Their defense is still very strong too.
  • Bruce Arians coming to the Bucs will benefit the team and they will improve, but not instantly. It will be a couple of seasons before the Bucs are challenging the rest of the NFC South for the division. 
  • Miami is in total rebuild mode, and whilst Josh Rosen could certainly be a very nice addition as the franchise's future, again this is a long term project and the Dolphins are not in a win now position, nor do they need to be. 

New York/New Jersey - Buffalo Bills, New York Giants, New York Jets

Pick - Jets

• The Jets and Bills have made some nice additions in the off-season, and both of them should be very close to each other in the division. Going with the Jets simply as I believe Darnold will have a better sophomore season than Allen and the team around him is just a bit better equipped to win games. 
  • I do believe it will be close though. I still think Allen and Darnold (and Josh Rosen now in the division) will all prove to be long term competitive QB's. 
  • As for the Giants. Not sure how much they improve this season but at the moment it's looking like a long term project and it will take them a tad longer to become more competitive. 

These are just my opinions. Of course I could be totally wrong about each of them but thought it was fun so had a go. :)