What do we make of Donovan McNabb's career in 2019?

Apparition

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You mean the Game where McNabb threw for 230yds 1TD 1Int, sacked 4 times and the Eagles RB's rushed for 53 yds?

Maybe if the Eagles Defense didn't get gashed/abused for 200 Rushing yards by future HOF'rs Felix Jones and Tashard Choice,   Romo's whopping 244 yds and 2TD doesn't score 34pts?

**What McNabb did with that talent was lead the Eagles to the 5th best Offense in the NFL that season and set several Eagles Offensive records in the process! It was our 23rd ranked Defense that was atrocious and in many ways still realing from the loss of Jim Johnson that season. Let's not get it twisted to fit an agenda. 

Not entirely related, but wasn't that the game where they subbed Vick in for like 2 plays, and one was an 80 yard TD pass, and one was a lost fumble? Weird game.

Also, I'm pretty sure any of the records that were set in that 09 campaign were broken the next year by the Vick/Kolb offense. I know they outscored them at least.

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Not entirely related, but wasn't that the game where they subbed Vick in for like 2 plays, and one was an 80 yard TD pass, and one was a lost fumble? Weird game.

Also, I'm pretty sure any of the records that were set in that 09 campaign were broken the next year by the Vick/Kolb offense. I know they outscored them at least.

Yep 76 yrd to Maclin, FB next snap. lol

That's kinda the point. The minute you surround him with legit options at the Skilled positions for the first time in a decade, you ship him out of Philadelphia for Kevin GD Kolb?  I have Zero doubt Donovan would of done the same or similar. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd still say that McNabb was better, but that's just going off of memory.

It's not even a debate between the Two, its McNabb hands down. Can't fathom the numbers and potential SB's (Plural) McNabb would of Won with Randy Moss , Cris Carter, Jake Reed and the early 2000's Eagles Defense's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

It's not even a debate between the Two, its McNabb hands down. Can't fathom the numbers and potential SB's (Plural) McNabb would of Won with Randy Moss , Cris Carter, Jake Reed and the early 2000's Eagles Defense's.

Yeah McNabb was better with lesser talent.  I just figured I would throw Culpepper's name in because he was easily the second best QB in that year's draft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yep 76 yrd to Maclin, FB next snap. lol

That's kinda the point. The minute you surround him with legit options at the Skilled positions for the first time in a decade, you ship him out of Philadelphia for Kevin GD Kolb?  I have Zero doubt Donovan would of done the same or similar. 

Well, considering he lasted one season in Washington explains why Reid traded him. With the way McNabb crapped the bed at the end of 09, Reid made the right decision. Kolb was a bust, but they got an elite year out of Michael Vick so there's that.

14 hours ago, Elky said:

No, McNabb was straight up trash after the SB.

lol, no he wasn't.

McNabb was still a very good QB when healthy for the next 5 years. He didn't become a bum till 2010 when he stopped giving a ****. 

22 hours ago, Jeezla said:

McNabb was dope until he stopped being a threat to run for 50+ yards and just became a pocket passer (thanks in part to injuries).  I think people would remember him more fondly if he wasn't such a doofus with his opinions. I don't think very many QB's could have taken those Eagles teams to the NFCCG with the booty surrounding cast he had most of the time he was here. By the time we got D Jax and Maclin, Donovan's athleticism and ability to improvise and extend plays was sapped. Our Jim Johnson defenses always seemed to have their worst game of the year in those NFCCG's too, but the game vs the Bucs was definitely on McNabb basically playing catch with Ronde Barber.

Agree with this. 

McNabb's post football career throwing out controversial opinions just means when people call him out for it they will use his career to back up their opinion on his opinions. 

To me he was a great QB, and always entertaining to watch. Eagles games back then were usually some of the best to catch and watch.

I just look at the move to Washington as the time he seemed to start losing interest in the game. You would think he'd have been motivated to beat his former being in the same division but whether he just had such close ties with the Eagles, it just didn't seem like he wanted to be there. Did nothing at Minnesota either.

But still there was period in his career when he was one of the best in the league, and he should always be remembered for that. 

Nearly all QB's drop down a level or two as they progress through their careers. Heck Peyton's last season was awful but he's still remembered as one of the best in the game.

Donovan McNabb was a great in this game, and thus should always be classed as for being to able to achieve that level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

lol, no he wasn't.

McNabb was still a very good QB when healthy for the next 5 years. He didn't become a bum till 2010 when he stopped giving a ****. 

One Pro Bowl berth,  barely over .500, only reached the playoffs twice. He had his good games, but he was increasingly inconsistent each year and wasn't as effective.

Edited by Elky

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'd still say that McNabb was better, but that's just going off of memory.

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

He had the better career but Culpepper was better at his peak and it wasn’t that close.  Culpepper’s 2004 season gets forgotten in history because he blew out his knee the next season and was never the same, but he threw 39 TDs to 11 INTs with 69% completion and 4717 yards while having Nate Burleson as his top receiver for the majority of the season due to Moss being injured for half the year. It pretty much shed the narrative that he was only good because of Moss.  He would have won MVP in any other season but it happened to coincide with 2004 Peyton Manning being even more historically great

I won’t disagree on the point about Culpepper having the superior offensive supporting cast, but the Eagles defenses were better than the Vikings defenses of that time period by miles.  From 2000-04 (the respective primes of both QBs), Minny’s defense ranked in the bottom 10 in both points allowed and yards allowed every one of those seasons.  In that same time period, the Eagles ranked in top 10 in both points allowed and yards allowed every single season with the exception of 2003 when they were 20th in yards.  This included a 2002 season where the Eagles ranked top 5 in both and the team didn’t miss a single beat as a result after McNabb broke his ankle and was out for 6 weeks prior to the playoffs 

tl;dr: McNabb obviously had the better career but Culpepper over McNabb in their primes isn’t a ridiculous claim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A poor man's Steve McNair. McNabb wasnt a bad QB, but he also wasnt a great one. He wasnt shy about contact and like McNair, was injured alot as a result and the Eagles' olines, like the Titans, weren't very good. 

McNabb was an above average QB that played a team with some good weapons at times and a really good defense for at least a good part of his career. He was often the reason the Eagles failed to get to the SB imo. He was a big part of the reason they didnt win the one they finally made it to.

If not for Andy Reid, he would not have succeeded at all imo. Reid's system helped make him an above avg QB.

I can't think of an athlete that is less like their city than McNabb is to Philadelphia. Anyway I think of him in the same tier as like Matt Hasselbeck. A dude who was pretty good for a half dozen seasons with a good team before he essentially become a journeyman caliber player. Him being garbage is way over-the-top when you have someone like Kerry Collins who was starting during the same era.

• Like 2