What do we make of Donovan McNabb's career in 2019?

Apparition

2 hours ago, Malik said:

I can't think of an athlete that is less like their city than McNabb is to Philadelphia. Anyway I think of him in the same tier as like Matt Hasselbeck. A dude who was pretty good for a half dozen seasons with a good team before he essentially become a journeyman caliber player. Him being garbage is way over-the-top when you have someone like Kerry Collins who was starting during the same era.

You can be better than Kerry Collins but still be bad.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:12 AM, footbull3196 said:

tl;dr: McNabb obviously had the better career but Culpepper over McNabb in their primes isn’t a ridiculous claim

Small sample size bias. The same argument could be said that Culpepper and McNabb both had better careers but Sexy Rexy obviously had the better peak. 

Culpepper was an incredible athlete that never put in the mental work to become a good QB. Had a good streak but where as I view McNabb as an average QB that was helped out by a great system, I view Culpepper as below average right there with the company of guys like Cutler and Grossman. 

13 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

What? Please explain

On 9/17/2006 Sexy Rexy posted a 148 passer rating versus the lions. From memory as I can’t find a stat somewhere to back it up he also had some obscene first half where he put up some insane stats once. Followed it up the next week by a multi turnover performance because well Rexy. 

Calling him great is giving him too much credit IMO. Calling him trash is completely unfair. He was good, maybe very good at times. But overall, I'd say good. I will say, it's very hard to go back and look at stats with the way my brain is influenced by the numbers today's players put up. Big Ben put up a 17 TD season 4 years into his career in 08. I was dumbfounded lol. I'm going off of pure memory (what else can I do really..) and I just don't remember him being great. Super talented dude though, when he was on, he was ON.

18 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

On 9/17/2006 Sexy Rexy posted a 148 passer rating versus the lions. From memory as I can’t find a stat somewhere to back it up he also had some obscene first half where he put up some insane stats once. Followed it up the next week by a multi turnover performance because well Rexy. 

The comparison was made between 2 players who put together multiple full seasons of good play... and you compare it to a good half that Rex played? The dudes best season was 23 td and 20 ints. He doesn't belong in the same breath as Mcnabb, Culpepper, or even Cutler

23 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

10/11/2009 
McNabb 157.2 Rating

9/23/2007
McNabb 158.3 Rating

9/18/2005
McNabb 155.4 Rating

As well as a handful of times where he had passer ratings in the high 130s/140s

5 hours ago, Nbanflguy said:

The comparison was made between 2 players who put together multiple full seasons of good play... and you compare it to a good half that Rex played? The dudes best season was 23 td and 20 ints. He doesn't belong in the same breath as Mcnabb, Culpepper, or even Cutler

He's trying to prove a point, but his evidence supporting said point doesn't support what he's trying to say. What he's trying to say isn't even necessarily wrong though.

I am as close to an expert on McNabb as fans get (watched every start and re-watched a ton of his games)

He was a mediocre passer who could run very well.

He had 25 or so brilliant plays sprinkled around some horrendous QB play.

• He carried the team in the 2000 season (Darnell Autry was their starter at RB for a while) and deserves credit for that 1 season.
  • He was statistically very good (although nowhere near Culpepper or Manning) in 2004 with TO.
    • What good is being the 3rd best QB in a year if you are TRULY AWFUL on Super Bowl Sunday?
      • He was so stupid that he followed that up by going to war with TO in 2005. (TO deserved disrespect but that's not what a real leader gives his star player)

There were 4 to 8 times a year where the team had to carry McNabb. He was that bad on a week to week basis.

• This is not an exaggeration

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00/gamelog/

• This was his 2003 season through the first 7 games:
    • 108-213 50.7% 3 TDs 7 picks 54.8 rating
    • His team was 4-3 at that point because that team was loaded with talent around him.
  • In 2005 he was cheap-shotted in week 1 but he still played the first  games.
    • He put up a 5 TD 155 rating game against a hideous Mike Nolan 4-12 SF squad in week 2.
    • He was about a 70 rated QB in the other 8 games.
  • In the 16 games mentioned above he was 8-8 but played like a 2-14 QB.

Anyone who watched the Worm Burner King play knew he was simply not good enough.

QB Guru Andy Reid gladly traded him to a division rival.

I dare you to watch the rest of the game AFTER 4th and 26 and tell me this guy was not terrible.

• Game ending INT placed in the DBs hands but dropped
  • 3-and-out to start OT before Favre saved him

His intangibles were also horrific.

• He was goofy at inappropriate times
    • Dancing in the tunnel between Cowboy annihilations in week 17 and the Wildcard in 2009 was a perfect Philly ending for that idiot.
    • His pathetic personal foul in the 2008 Giants playoff game
  • His never-ending passive aggressive chip on his shoulder from Ricky Williams booing directed at the Eagles FO.
  • His calling out his teammates (I need better weapons)
  • His publicist, daddy. mommy, and Deion Sanders all joining him in attacks on Eagles fans.