Did the 01 Patriots or 07 Giants seem like a more unlikely SB winner headed into the playoffs?

Bolts223

14 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yeah, again I wasn't "there," but it wouldn't surprise me if game by game the Pats run felt more unlikely, because I remember the Giants win over Cowboys didn't feel that crazy. Under dog for sure, but they were division foes and had played them close already, had momentum, last time we saw Romo was chokejob. Then with the the GB game, well the Giants were now coming off 2 good wins and playing great football so again it wasn't a shocker. I think if we're just talking between the end of week 17 to the wild card round, it'd have to be Giants, but by the CC it may very well have been the Pats run that was seeming more unlikely.

Interesting that your username is Randy Moss is boss but wasn't following the NFL during Randy Moss Prime 🤔😄

It's very close but I'd give it to New England. The Giants looked like a good but not great team that fought just hard enough to make the playoffs and would surely lose in the first or second round, but they had a widely respected coach and the dignity of six previous league championships to sustain them, so you couldn't count them out entirely. The Patriots had an unproven backup QB, a coach with only one winning season and one playoff win, their big free agent signings (Bryan Cox and Ted Johnson) were inactive, and they had never won a league championship.

It’s NYG. Forget the seeding (which is valid) - NE was looking to go 19-0 and finish their perfect season. 

NE was a major underdog for all the reasons people have mentioned, but 07 NE was looking more formidable than the GSOT. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s NYG. Forget the seeding (which is valid) - NE was looking to go 19-0 and finish their perfect season. 

NE was a major underdog for all the reasons people have mentioned, but 07 NE was looking more formidable than the GSOT. 

not to mention NYG lost to NE to become the 16 in 16-0

On 7/8/2019 at 9:41 PM, Daniel said:

Am I the only one that thinks it was the Giants?

I agree with you.

The Patriots were murdering everyone. Thought the Giants gave it their best shot in week 17, but looked clearly inferior despite putting up a decent fight. Figured they'd get smoked in the playoffs before the Super Bowl. Then they made it to the Super Bowl and I thought, "man, these dudes are gonna get murdered."

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I agree with you.

The Patriots were murdering everyone. Thought the Giants gave it their best shot in week 17, but looked clearly inferior despite putting up a decent fight. Figured they'd get smoked in the playoffs before the Super Bowl. Then they made it to the Super Bowl and I thought, "man, these dudes are gonna get murdered."

The one thing the Giants had going for them was that the Patriots were slowing down towards the end of the season. They would have had no chance had the Patriots sustained their pace from the first 10 games when they were beating opponents by more than 25 points on average and averaging 41 points per game.

People seem to forget that the Rams and Patriots met in Foxboro that year, with the Rams winning 24-17.

I still say it's the Patriots though, because in terms of yards per game, they were bad on both sides of the ball. Ranked 19th on offense and 24th on defense - I doubt a team ranking that poorly has or ever will win a Super Bowl again. Granted, their scoring offense and defense was far better than those numbers - but that is still odd, and I don't think we'll ever see a team ranking in the bottom half of both offense and defense by yards win a Super Bowl again.

Before the playoffs, it's the Giants.

The Pats had 2 huge upset in Pittsburgh and against the Rams, but in the case of the Giants, they were underdog in every game and the upset against the Cowboys, Packers and Patriots were so shocking

Before the playoffs, very little could  trust Eli Manning, especially in the playoffs .... He led the NFL with 20 interceptions in the regular season and his first 3 full season was very unimpressive and many thought (even some fan giants) He was also a draft bust.He also had no playoff win before this playoffs run ... Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat, but it was before the season.

This is probably the most unlikely SB champion ever. No one, including the Giants fan saw it coming ... One of the best stories ever

Edited by Steelersfan43
  • Like 1

The Giants beat 13, 13, and 16 win teams to get that Super Bowl.

The 13-3 Cowboys beat them by 10 and 11 points before losing to them in the playoffs

The 13-3 Packers beat them by 22 in Lambeau in week 2 before losing in OT in the playoffs to them.

They did play the Patriots tough in a 38-35 classic for the 16-0 game.

• Like 1