Frank Gore- HOF?

-Hope-

Does Frank Gore belong in the HOF?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Does Frank Gore belong in the HOF?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035212/article/frank-gore-wont-retire-until-he-cant-do-it-no-more

Reading this article had me reflecting on Frank Gore’s truly absurd longevity as a RB in the NFL. He’s now 4th on the all time rushing leader list, and might have a shot at moving up to 3rd this coming season. He’s been as consistently productive as just about any back ever. However, he’s never really been the best in the game, and his only truly dominant season was his second year way back in 2006, where he rushed for nearly 1700 yards at 5.4ypc, and added almost 500 more receiving yards.

So, given this info: does he belong in the HOF, or no?

Yes, longevity is a skill, he's been immensely productive his entire career, absolutely. You don't need to just be overwhelmingly dominant to get it, being very good for a very long time should count.

Also of note is that he did all of this after destroying his leg in college.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

Does he belong in the HOF and will he get in are two different questions in my opinion. I'm a 49ers fan, so I'm biased and will of course say yes he should be in. 

But others will point to the fact that he was never really one of the top 3 running backs in the league outside of 2006 during his entire career and thus shouldn't be in. That is a very valid argument in my opinion if that is your criteria for enshrinement. It's why someone will put in Megatron or Patrick Willis in despite their shorter careers but not Gore. Gore can be seen as a very good running back who compiled. I get that argument for those who say that he shouldn't be in. Others, like @Thelonebillsfan above, point to longevity as a skill, and I think that is very valid as well. 

I do think that he will get in, however. I think that there comes a point to voters where bulk stats absolutely do matter, and it's hard to keep out a top 5 all time rusher when everyone else in the top 15 is either already enshrined, will be enshrined (Peterson), or is Edge James. Gore is also 5th in all time YFS (could pass Faulk this year), and everyone else in the top 13 is in the Hall with the exception of Larry Fitz, who is a no doubt about it HOFer.  His YPA is sufficient at 4.4. His touchdown rate is low, but the bulk number is sufficient. Given that he also seems to be well liked by media (this matters), and he's a good story as someone who shredded his knees in college and nobody thought he'd likely be able to do this (something I also think matters - the feel good story), I do think he gets enshrined eventually. 

• Like 4

He's in the same boat as a guy like Anquan Boldin - a very good player who accumulated numbers at a healthy pace, but never stood out among his peers or served as a lynchpin to a championship winning team. (Boldin actually was a key guy on that Ravens SB team, IIRC...but I don't think anyone would put Q in the HOF).

Hall of Very Good, and possibly deserves a spot in the 49ers Ring of Honor (which is a hell of a distinction given the history of the 49ers) but HOF? I would personally say no.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

He's in the same boat as a guy like Anquan Boldin - a very good player who accumulated numbers at a healthy pace, but never stood out among his peers or served as a lynchpin to a championship winning team. (Boldin actually was a key guy on that Ravens SB team, IIRC...but I don't think anyone would put Q in the HOF).

Hall of Very Good, and possibly deserves a spot in the 49ers Ring of Honor (which is a hell of a distinction given the history of the 49ers) but HOF? I would personally say no.

Nahh Gore is/was a better running back than Q was a receiver. I mean that in that if you rank them at their position Gore was way higher. Yes there are more receivers than Running backs, but i don’t think that makes up the difference in where Gore ranks.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, Forge said:

Does he belong in the HOF and will he get in are two different questions in my opinion

Exactly. This is similar to the ongoing talk about Eli Manning. He was never considered a top tier guy at his position but there are certain accomplishments that will get you into the Hall.

With Gore, longevity is the one of the main accomplishments. It's the equivalent of being a WR who's still productive in their 40's. It's unheard of. People talk about accumulating stats like it's no big deal. Like anyone can just stay atop the depth chart for 15 years and stay durable enough to finish top 5 at their position all-time.

He's also top 10 in all-purpose yards. Despite everyone's opinion, he's a lock for the Hall.

• Like 1

Let's look at Frank Gore, and the traits about him that stand out.

As a technician, he's almost unmatched. He's developed all three aspects of his game in rushing, receiving, and pass pro. At least at one point, not sure how it holds up now, he was widely regarded as one of the best pass protecting RBs in the league, if not the very best. Look at some of his film in Indy with how he protected Andrew Luck and Jacoby Brissett. He's overcome middling athleticism and an underwhelming physique through excellent vision and contact balance (i.e. he's hard to take down regardless of power, bounces off of hits). He's an Iron Man. Look at his streak of 1,000 yard seasons. Yes, while few of those seasons were top-3 back material, they DO demonstrate an uncanny ability to grind out other teams regardless of situation, help on offense, and constant punishment by the defense. 

He's also been consistently pretty well-regarded in the locker room, a leader and tone-setter both on and off the field. Great guy in the community. 

Actually, for a "stat compiler," he leaves behind a pretty strong legacy with the things that don't show up on the stat sheet. A+ character, leadership, intelligence. Great pass protector. Top-5 all-time rusher.

• Like 5

On 7/17/2019 at 3:57 PM, HoboRocket said:

Let's look at Frank Gore, and the traits about him that stand out.

As a technician, he's almost unmatched. He's developed all three aspects of his game in rushing, receiving, and pass pro. At least at one point, not sure how it holds up now, he was widely regarded as one of the best pass protecting RBs in the league, if not the very best. Look at some of his film in Indy with how he protected Andrew Luck and Jacoby Brissett. He's overcome middling athleticism and an underwhelming physique through excellent vision and contact balance (i.e. he's hard to take down regardless of power, bounces off of hits). He's an Iron Man. Look at his streak of 1,000 yard seasons. Yes, while few of those seasons were top-3 back material, they DO demonstrate an uncanny ability to grind out other teams regardless of situation, help on offense, and constant punishment by the defense. 

He's also been consistently pretty well-regarded in the locker room, a leader and tone-setter both on and off the field. Great guy in the community. 

Actually, for a "stat compiler," he leaves behind a pretty strong legacy with the things that don't show up on the stat sheet. A+ character, leadership, intelligence. Great pass protector. Top-5 all-time rusher.

I could not have put it better myself. All of these people who keep saying "he was never top 5 in his position" are just looking at box scores, ypc and yards. His affect on a football game goes far beyond a stat sheet 

If he hadn't had the knee injuries he might universally be considered a top 5 rb of all time. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, game3525 said:

Well,  Curtis Martin is in the HOF so Gore should get in. 

How does this follow?  Martin's resume is more impressive than Gore's.  For as impressive as Gore's 1000 YFS streak has been, he only has 2 more of those than Martin's.  Gore only eclipsed 1500 YFS 2x and 10+ TDs once.  Martin did it 7x and 5x respectively.  Martin only made 1 All-Pro team, but he still made at least one as opposed to Gore's 0.

If anything, Martin being one of the least deserving HOFers (not necessarily my opinion, but I see the argument) shows how much Gore shouldn't make it.  There's been few guys to make the Hall of Fame without making an All-Pro team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/#hof_players::6

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3