A Little Bears History During Down Time; Bobby Douglass

soulman

Some highlights of our greatest rushing but poorest passing QB of all time.  A sportswriter once said Douglass had an arm so strong that he could throw a football through the side of a barn but only if he could hit the barn to begin with and that was 50/50 at best.  In his 7 years with Chicago his completion percentage was only 42% but he average 6.6 ypc while rushing for nearly 2500 yards, 968 of them in 1972.  Enjoy the highlights.

• Like 1

Before my time which pretty much started with '85 Bears. 

See he completed a two point conversion off a botched snap to **** Butkus is beginning of those clips.  That was cool.

Watch how many times defenders tried to forearm elbow your face in fhose clips too.  Rough game in those days. 

• Like 1

I remember Doug Buffone used to say that defense hated the offense because they were so terrible.  He said one time they got so frustrated they made their own offense out of defensive players and said we got this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I remember Doug Buffone used to say that defense hated the offense because they were so terrible.  He said one time they got so frustrated they made their own offense out of defensive players and said we got this. 

Yeah, under Gibron they were truly horrible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Showed my brother this video a bit ago, he said it was like Tebow and Hackenberg had a baby that was older than them.

It isn't the worst explanation. lol

One thing about the Bears of that era is while they sucked offensively the defense took no prisoners. Offensive players weren't protected like they are now and Butkus, Buffone, and Brubacher had free reign to do some damage.  It was a very intimidating defense.

Offensively the only thing of much interest was to see how many yards Douglass would roll up rushing vs how many God awful passes he threw and how many times he'd get picked.  In seven seasons he threw 51 picks vs 30 tds so for anyone who thinks Cutler was bad they should have been around back then. 

Maybe some of the most laughable passes were short ones because he had no touch.....zero.  Everything was like a four seam 98 mph fastball.  Some went right through a receivers hands and on others where he tried to hit a guy on the break the ball would whizz by the receiver before he even knew it was coming to him.  He was entertainingly awful.

Edited by soulman

4 hours ago, soulman said:

One thing about the Bears of that era is while they sucked offensively the defense took no prisoners. Offensive players weren't protected like they are now and Butkus, Buffone, and Brubacher had free reign to do some damage.  It was a very intimidating defense.

Offensively the only thing of much interest was to see how many yards Douglass would roll up rushing vs how many God awful passes he threw and how many times he'd get picked.  In seven seasons he threw 51 picks vs 30 tds so for anyone who thinks Cutler was bad they should have been around back then. 

Maybe some of the most laughable passes were short ones because he had no touch.....zero.  Everything was like a four seam 98 mph fastball.  Some went right through a receivers hands and on others where he tried to hit a guy on the break the ball would whizz by the receiver before he even knew it was coming to him.  He was entertainingly awful.

Yeesh. At some point you just accept he cant throw and go heavy with option runs as the staple. Make TEs really be OL and WRs be TEs. Just basically a heavy wildcat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yeesh. At some point you just accept he cant throw and go heavy with option runs as the staple. Make TEs really be OL and WRs be TEs. Just basically a heavy wildcat.

They didn't even run offenses like that in the early '70s.  It was all pretty much plain vanilla pro set with a HB and a FB, one or two TEs, and two WRs.  Many of Douglass's runs came off broken plays or scrambles.

34 minutes ago, soulman said:

They didn't even run offenses like that in the early '70s.  It was all pretty much plain vanilla pro set with a HB and a FB, one or two TEs, and two WRs.  Many of Douglass's runs came off broken plays or scrambles.

Which is kind of funny because that was when wishbone was dominating college football.  

I think I saw a number of option pitches in the clips though.  So they put it in the offense.  They said in narration he just always kept the ball because either he was too stupid to know when to pitch or like he said he didn't trust someone else to do something when he could do it himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Which is kind of funny because that was when wishbone was dominating college football.  

I think I saw a number of option pitches in the clips though.  So they put it in the offense.  They said in narration he just always kept the ball because either he was too stupid to know when to pitch or like he said he didn't trust someone else to do something when he could do it himself.

They may have been drawn up in the playbook that way but what was said in the narration is what I saw.  Once Douglass got it in his head to run with the football that was it.  His ball, no pitch, no fake, just him against 11 guys trying to tackle him and it wasn't easy.  At 6'4/225lbs he was a like a horse in that era.  Some DL and LB weren't all that much bigger.

Any other team but Chicago probably would have made him a RB or a TE but we were so short on QB talent they kept him at QB just as he was drafted.  I believe by 1974 GSH had seen enough of both Douglass and Abe Gibron.   Jim Finks was hired to fix the mess that came about after Halas retired in '67 and that was it for Douglass in Chicago.....thank God.

His last season was in '78 in Green Bay of all places.  He only threw 12 passes and even managed to get one of those picked but true to form he had 4 carries for 27 yards/6.8 ypc.  Definitely the Tim Tebow of his era.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, soulman said:

Definitely the Tim Tebow of his era.

That Tebow with a 2.5 INT%? Drew Brees sports a 2.4%, just saying. Or Tebow's 4.7 TD % that is better than Jay's 4.6% and rivals guys like Favre and Marino at 5.0%?

Douglass could dream of being Tebow...

(I LOVE how easy it is to twist stats in this sport. lol)

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

That Tebow with a 2.5 INT%? Drew Brees sports a 2.4%, just saying. Or Tebow's 4.7 TD % that is better than Jay's 4.6% and rivals guys like Favre and Marino at 5.0%?

Douglass could dream of being Tebow...

(I LOVE how easy it is to twist stats in this sport. lol)

More from a physical perspective and a rep as good runners but ineffective passers.  One stat like that doesn't tell the whole story and it's two very different eras.

Douglass would never even get a shot at a QB spot now.  He's be a converted RB or Receiver.

Edited by soulman

9 hours ago, soulman said:

More from a physical perspective and a rep as good runners but ineffective passers.  One stat like that doesn't tell the whole story and it's two very different eras.

Douglass would never even get a shot at a QB spot now.  He's be a converted RB or Receiver.

I know, I was just playing. I loved Tebow at FLA but Meyer did him no favors as a QB. I was mostly parroting the misleading stat-barkers who were hyping him up as a QB before the Jets fiasco. 

• Like 1