Duke fires his agent

buno67

40 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Not really.

I just do not think he is so good that he cannot be replaced.

Of course he can be replaced, but finding a better player from the FA scrap heap ain’t likely imo.

And then there’s the fact we will be paying him most of his salary anyway..

Doing all of that just for a day 3 pick seems dumb, and I doubt you’ll find many folks who value draft picks more than yours truly, the Sashi honk and analytics truther.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course he can be replaced, but finding a better player from the FA scrap heap ain’t likely imo.

And then there’s the fact we will be paying him most of his salary anyway..

Doing all of that just for a day 3 pick seems dumb, and I doubt you’ll find many folks who value draft picks more than yours truly, the Sashi honk and analytics truther.

Then I would pull a JR on him.

Just can't set a precedent of letting players who want out out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

Then I would pull a JR on him.

Just can't set a precedent of letting players who want out out.

If he starts slacking off and such, sure.

So far he’s been working hard and apparently fired his agent because of comments by her husband that were negative towards Baker.

Seems as though he’s making it known he’d like to be traded but will not be a distraction here in the meantime.  I’m fine with that.

• Like 2

That is it in a nutshell, LGB.

Duke wants out. I wish that this whole scenario could have been handled behind closed doors, but it got out. It is what it is.

I have villified Duke in the past for choosing this course of action. But I have begun to soften my stance on Duke. Here's why:

As was noted above, Duke's change of agents may have been to achieve a better platform to be traded, with Rosenhaus Sports acting as the primary facilitator. It also may have been as a method to preserve team chemistry because of what was coming out of the mouth of his former agent's husband. Whether it is here or elsewhere, Duke still needs to make a living in the NFL - and players in this league have long memories. Deep down, Duke may like Baker. He simply may want to be elsewhere to be "THE MAN".

The biggest factor in changing my position is Duke himself and how he treats his current employer, the game and his teammates. Duke shows up for work every day, and yet while this soap opera is circling around him, gives the Browns the maximum effort he has to give that day. He respects the fact that he is still under contract. He is working hard while Drew seeks out trade proposals for his client to present to the Browns. Duke does not appear to be interested in pulling a TO scenario.

I thank Duke for that course of action. I respect his decision, although I do not agree with it, to be elsewhere. To continue to work hard in the midst of all this is not like any typical ESPN generation athlete. The world we live in tells us that not all situations are right for everyone, just because someone else says they should be. I hope something can be worked out in this case between Duke and the Browns.

• Like 3

I'd flip Duke for a 4th. Here are 10 reasons why:

1. He wants out - doesn't matter too much if he causes chemistry issues or not. The man doesn't want to be here and expressed it to the public. Simple as that.

2. He can ~potentially~ become a distraction. I don't expect him to be, but it could happen, especially if we lose some early games.

3. The market for RBs is terrible right now. Unfortunately, Jordan Howard set it after being traded to the Eagles and now anything better than a 6th will require a RB as talented as Howard. A 4th would be great value for Duke.

4. Piggybacking off the above - 4ths can be quite valuable if the scouting department is solid. We got Callaway with our 4th last year and Redwine (an unknown right now). We also traded a 3rd (practically 4th) that we got from New England as part of the package to get OBJ. 4ths can generally be upgraded to 3rds in the following year if traded. Basically, let's not act like a 4th can't have good value.

5. Hunt returns after 8 games, which will introduce some redundancies in terms of playstyle.

6. Dontrell Hilliard (I'm super high on him) has played well in his appearances, interception notwithstanding.

7. Duke's a 2nd (3rd string when Hunt returns) on a air-raid style offense that will likely sling it through the air this year. Even if you think he's Barry Sanders incarnate, his role here is not going to be hefty. Chubb appears to have the makings of a bell-cow RB anyway.

8. RBs will be cut throughout camp and preseason. There are a couple of names out there right now that may be able to mitigate the loss of Duke (which wouldn't be enormous anyway).

9. RBs are among the easiest positions to replace, both from free agency and in the draft. While Hunt may be here for another season or two, we can easily draft some decent prospects in the later rounds to offset any loss.

10. Because Baker The King In the North Mayfield said you're on this train or not.

We’re apparently assuming a 4th either is or was on the table, but I’d be surprised if that was the case.

Tbh if we were offered a 4th I’m guessing Dorsey would have taken it before the draft.

It wouldn’t shock me at all if teams were offering a conditional 6th or 7th at best.  It’s just not a position that carries much worth/value.

7 hours ago, Vee-Rex said:

I'd flip Duke for a 4th. Here are 10 reasons why:

Tl;dr

Anyone that has a list of TEN reasons why a move that involves a back up running back and a 4th round pick should happen ... I’ll just gloss over and just assume you have good points. 

That’s Mind Character quality stuff. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’re apparently assuming a 4th either is or was on the table, but I’d be surprised if that was the case.

Tbh if we were offered a 4th I’m guessing Dorsey would have taken it before the draft.

It wouldn’t shock me at all if teams were offering a conditional 6th or 7th at best.  It’s just not a position that carries much worth/value.

A 4th nf he is gone. On the open market he might not get his contract the browns gave him.

Duke’s salary for the season is like $3m. I think that puts him around 15-18th for RBs. For a team to trade for him, they would have to want Duke to be the starting RB. There are not a lot of teams that need a starting RB and there isn’t a lot of bad teams with no RB that’s want to give up a draft pick for him. 

I really don’t think there is a market for Duke like he hoped. Dorsey is prolly a take it or leave. He gets to keep duke or get a solid return for him. Win win for the browns. 

Dukes best play is to for the browns early and have success and get traded. Trade for enough that it forces a team to hold on to him since he can be easily dumped next season

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Why in the hell did we give him that contract?

Eh it was mostly a 1 year extension. If he took on a bigger role he would earn the contract and stay aboard the other 2 years and if not they would move on after the 2019 season.

For the record he earns a max of 2.3 million this year (if he plays all 16 games), the other .75 million is signing bonus deferment that he isn't actually paid for this year and a team that he is traded to wouldn't be paying. His two larger salary years are 2020 and 2021 which he was never getting as a complimentary player anyway. He will hold no trade value after this season (unless he does something huge) and any team trading for him knows that he is a 1 year rental and the compensation, or lack thereof, would show that. If there is an injury and a team needs him enough to give us a pick with some value (greater than a 6th) we may trade him. Otherwise he is more valuable to us than a garbage pick and we'll cut ties after the season. If he can help us win 1 game this year that is better than a 7th round pick, at least this year when wins are more important than draft picks.

I hold on to him unless our 3rd string guy is just as good, then whatever.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I would think there is a hell of a market for Duke Johnson.  Heck both LA teams.  Charges with Melvin Gordon holdout and Rams Gurley's knee being a big question mark.  

If there was a big market for Duke he'd be gone. There are 0 rumors of interest. LGB estimates a 6th or a 7th, he is probably right. 

I love Duke and think he is a good player but their is a surplus of good enough players at the position. He doesnt have many league connections, shanny, butthe 9ers have a bunch of backs, defilippo probably doesnt have the internal clout to pull off a trade, if he wanted them. Also the jags would get roasted if they gave up another pick for a browns runningback after the trade for hyde. 

Reality is there isnt a Duke johnson trade market 

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I would think there is a hell of a market for Duke Johnson.  Heck both LA teams.  Charges with Melvin Gordon holdout and Rams Gurley's knee being a big question mark.  

In life, we all have to decide whether we are Baker Mayfield or Duke Johnson. We have to decide between being on this train or not. You're ready to become a Browns fan. Be Baker.

Edited by NudeTayne
#boardthetrain
  • Like 1